Best small screw on gas stove / burner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 06 Jun 2015
My only real interest is boiling water from something like a mytimug, but I don't have room for a jetboil / windboiler sometimes.

Alpkit kraku?
Pocket rocket?
Karrimor ti stove?

Compact and light, I've got one of those msr windshields that clip onto a canister.
 anthonylewis 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Pocket rocket is the classic small stove.
 Mostin3 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I can vouch for the Optimus crux being a good alternative
 d_b 06 Jun 2015
In reply to anthonylewis:
Don't like the pocket rocket much - heat is concentrated on a smaller spot than most, which means if you are doing anything other than boiling water you will burn stuff.

These days I use a primus express - a few grams more (difference vanishes when you factor in plastic PR case) but better heat distribution.

Having said all that, I think all small screw on gas canister stoves are a bit crap.

[edit] I just read the bit about the only interest being in boiling water, in which case any of them.
Post edited at 10:40
 goose299 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I've got one of the old style Coleman F1 lite stoves. Had it easily ten years and still going strong
OP neuromancer 06 Jun 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

My priorities are weight, compact size and durability.

For what it's worth I have a jetboil and a trangia set and a few others - but this is just for cooking boil in the bag meals and making coffee - as that's all I get from work (army).
 d_b 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I think pretty much any of them. The primus and MSR are both well made, but I have a personal preference for the primus. Not used the others.

Primus do a windshield that clips around most small gas burners. The primary weakess of these stoves (apart from falling over) is that the flame is v wind sensitive so it might be worth looking at one of those too.

In reply to davidbeynon:

My mistake, I have the primus windshield.

Nothing to justify anything over the alp kit stove then, given it is the cheapest and lightest of all of them?
 leon 1 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:
If youre interested Ive got an MSR Pocket Rocket and an MSR Micro Rocket for sale Both brand new and unused. Theyre left over from a trip that didnt really happen Both come with the plastic containers. £15 each
(Micro Rocket doesnt come with the crap piezo igniter- Lost it )
Post edited at 14:16
Moley 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I've had a pocket rocket for years, finally given up as the screw thread is knackered. Replaced it last week with the Alpkit Kraku and used that this week. It seems fine and I especially like that I can heat water in my 400ml MSR titanium mug, balances on top OK, also pots of course.

Both I would consider water heaters rather than cookers, the kraku is not quite at powerfull as the PR but I was very impressed with how low I could turn it to simmer.
In reply to leon 1:
Message me - I'll take the micro rocket off
Your hands. That simplifies things!

Edit - no lighter? Throw in shipping?
Post edited at 14:20
 leon 1 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer: OK £15 delivered for MicroRocket. Mailed you

Andy Manthorpe 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I've had the Karrimor Ti stove for a few years. It is lasting well and works fine. Oh and it weighs 48 grams.

It is cheap here
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-xlite-titanium-stove-787079?colcode=78...

Andy
 gneiss boots 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Moley:

Do you know if the Alpkit will fit inside an MSR titanium kettle mug? I have heard Pocket rocket does not and have been looking for something to replace my old Coleman screw on that is going after 16+ years of use. I have a Primus windshield that goes inside kettle too which makes for a good package in my rucksack.
 Glyno 06 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Edelrid Kiro Ti.
Very small and light, excellent flame adjustment and extremely powerful

http://www.v12outdoor.com/product.php/1045/edelrid-kiro-ti-gas-stove
http://www.myoutdoors.co.uk/cooking-and-lighting/stoves/302-edelrid-kiro-ti...
Moley 06 Jun 2015
In reply to gneiss boots:

The Alpkit Kraku is tiny, measuring it here comes at 2 inches long by 11/4 inches wide, much smaller than the pocket rocket. Probably virtually identical to other makes - but rebranded!

It says use on the 100 & 250gr canisters, not the 500gr. No idea why (pressure??), but I never lug a 500 around with me when hiking. I'm even considering whether to also purchase their Koro stove for more stationary camping/fishing trips and better for cooking, use with an remote 500gram canister.
 Dell 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Same here, for £15 it's the best value lightweight stove.
In reply to Dell:

Only if it's in stock in your local- once you add the 5er shipping its the same price as a kraku
 Dell 07 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Sports Direct stuff tends to be a few quid more in store! I bought mine as part of a bigger order and got free postage, I get your drift though. The Alpkit jobbie was £25 last time I looked, so the price have gone down, for a change!
 gneiss boots 07 Jun 2015
In reply to Moley: thanks. The 500g restriction is not really a concern.

Sharp 07 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I got the alpkit one earlier this year, fits nicely inside their titanium mighti mug with a 250g gas caniser and a couple of tea bags.
OP neuromancer 07 Jun 2015
In reply to Sharp:

If anyone is interested - the primus windshield is on sale at snow and rock for 9 quid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...