Deer Stalking in Knoydart and Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jun 2015
Can anyone tell me if there are restrictions on access due to stalking in the Cuillin (Glen Brittle), or in Knoydart (Barrisdale/Ladhar Bheinn)? I'm thinking of a trip on September sometime.

I tried the Heading for the Scottish Hills site, but they've removed last year's information and not added this year's.
 Trangia 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Best to contact the relevant estates direct

For Knoydart - the Estate Office 01687 462133

For Skye - can't find the Estate Office number, but the John Muir Trust is 0131 554 0114
Post edited at 14:34
 Mark Bull 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:
> For Knoydart - the Estate Office 01687 462133

That's for the Kilchoan Estate, which covers Luinne Bheinn + Meall Bhuidhe but not Barisdale or the N side of Ladhar Bheinn. The Barisdale Estate website is here http://www.barisdale.com/ but there is no contact phone number.

Knoydart Foundation land is also stalked (contact details here: http://www.knoydart-foundation.com/contact/ ) but they are generally very accommodating. One time we inquired about stalking at the office in Inverie to be me met with the reply "It seems the stalker had a late night in the pub and isn't out of bed yet - you tell us where you're going and we'll make sure he goes somewhere else" !

I don't think there's any stalking on the main Cuillin ridge.
Post edited at 14:51
 sheep 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I was at barrisdale a couple of septembers ago, along with another chap who turned up at the bothy. He set off for Ladhar Bheinn early doors and, as i was packing my tent, a Land -rover turned up (i know! from where?). It turned out to be a party of 'stalkers'. The factor came over and asked if i was heading for Inverie or Kinlochhourn but i told him i was going up the north ridge of Sgurr a Choire bheithe then on to Lochan nam Breac. I also told him that there was a walker on Ladhar Bheinn that day. He didn't seem interested in any of this and just said 'aye, ok'.
Long and short of it, a while later a single shot rang out from the vicinity of the vehicle and that was that.

It seems that stalkers ain't walkers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...