Off piste scrambles in Snowdonia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 03 Jun 2015

I've an unexpected weekend in Snowdonia at my disposal
I fancy a good mountain day with a bit of scrambling in it. I'd also like to try something new. i've done all the well known routes so looking for something on the lesser known hills or something lesser known on the big hills. I have faith that the ukc hive mind will provide ....
Post edited at 19:36
In reply to pasbury:

have you done any of the scrambles on Glyder Fach? Highly recommend Dolmen ridge and Hawks nest butress.

You could perhaps include one of the scrambles on Foel Goch, then across to Cniefion and drop over Y gribyn to those routes.
 LucaC 03 Jun 2015
In reply to pasbury:
Crib Lem Spur (Llech Ddu Spur) (Grade-1)
For something slightly off the beaten track.
Post edited at 20:51
 The Potato 03 Jun 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Have you got Ashtons scrambles in snowdonia guide?
I've been meaning to do needles eye arete and yr esgair on Y Garn, both grade 3
 The Potato 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

I know they're not off piste though. There are a few gullies above ffynnon lloer that are done as winter routes that you can scramble
 malky_c 03 Jun 2015
In reply to pasbury:
Amphitheatre Gully on Craig Cwm Silyn. Not technically difficult, but certainly off piste (and disgustingly loose and chossy). Not sure why I went up it really, but it was 'interesting'.

My favourites from the Steve Ashton book are Bryant's Gully on Glyder Fawr, Dolmen Ridge on Glyder Fach, Clogwyn y Person ArĂȘte and Llech Ddu spur mentioned above.
 Dave Williams 03 Jun 2015
In reply to pasbury:

In addition to those already mentioned, there's the following. I've done all of them, mostly on my tod. All are a bit "off list/ left of centre" so may meet your requirements. You probably wouldn't see a soul on most (all?) of them.

*Yr Wyddfa - Great Couloir of Cwm Tregalan. (Can't really get more off piste than that ....) Loop back via Yr Wyddfa and Lliwedd.
*Tryfan - Bastow Buttress Variant or Nor' Nor' Buttress Variant. Both equally good. Then continue on to summit and lots of people, followed by Bristly Ridge?
*Glyder Fach - Bryant's Gully. Feels a bit committing in places, but is basically ok. Excellent and unusual way of getting to the top of Glyder Fach. Descend to Nant Peris from Glyder Fawr or loop north and descend the Pass.
*Crib y Ddysgl - Llechog Buttress. Excellent. Continue to the summit on the Llanberis path and yet more people, then leave the crowds behind and descend Cwm Glas Ridge back into Cwm Glas.
*Mynydd Mawr - Sentries Ridge. Finish by continuing to the summit.
*Cwm Silyn - Craig Fawr Rib. A road less travelled. Very good though, but it might feel more like a proper Mod rock climb in places.

If I was mean I'd also recommend the Wrinkled Tower on Tryfan, but I won't. You'd probably have it all to yourself though. If you're ever tempted, be prepared as at one point on this sandbag of a scramble you will be faced with a very exciting and exposed move, the sort of move which leads to a brief meditation on life and how it might shortly be coming to an end.

All the above are in Ashton's book.
 malky_c 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

> If I was mean I'd also recommend the Wrinkled Tower on Tryfan, but I won't. You'd probably have it all to yourself though. If you're ever tempted, be prepared as at one point on this sandbag of a scramble you will be faced with a very exciting and exposed move, the sort of move which leads to a brief meditation on life and how it might shortly be coming to an end.

That'll be the one where the crux involves 'a series of ape-like swings' then? Never did find the courage to try that one
In reply to Dave Williams:

>>*Glyder Fach - Bryant's Gully. Feels a bit committing in places, but is basically ok. Excellent and unusual way of getting to the top of Glyder Fach.

Ummm..... Glyder Fawr (via Esgair Felen) though there is some confusion over which gully 'Bryant's' really was. His own entertaining description can be opened as a PDF from here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&...
 Mike Peacock 04 Jun 2015
In reply to malky_c:

> Amphitheatre Gully on Craig Cwm Silyn. Not technically difficult, but certainly off piste (and disgustingly loose and chossy). Not sure why I went up it really, but it was 'interesting'.

Also the Great Stone Shoot in Cwm Silyn. Not very scrambly, but an interesting gully (take the right branch).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/sets/72157626908364372

The Mushroom Garden on Foel Goch is an interesting route. Not much satisfying scrambling but takes an interesting wander through some cool rock scenery.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/sets/72157607781781128

Tapia Llwydion on Cadair Idris is quite off the beaten track. Scrambles and Easy Climbs grades it as a diff or some such, but if you pick the right line I think g1/2.
Tapia Llwydion Direct (D)

The NE ridge of Moel yr Hydd is worth a look. Walk up to Llyn Cwmorthin then follow the ridge up, first over slabs. It's one of those "pick and choose your own line" routes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/4550928590/in/album-7215762380316...

There's plenty more that don't spring to mind straight away. There are plenty of scrambles around that have escaped the guidebooks too.

Mike Peacock 04 Jun 2015
In reply to malky_c:

> That'll be the one where the crux involves 'a series of ape-like swings' then? Never did find the courage to try that one

That would be the Chasm Face on Glyder Fach. A classic Ashton description!
 maxsmith 04 Jun 2015
In reply to pasbury:

arrange this list by 'ticks' and then start from the bottom - enjoy (or not as the case may be!)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?sort=t&id=835
pasbury 05 Jun 2015
In reply to all:

Excellent suggestions all. I'm perversely drawn to the Great Couloir of Cwm Tregalan but my sensible head says go for the Crib Lem Spur

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...