Which trail shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
XXXX 29 May 2015
So it's been about, ooh, 10 years since I have had to dip into the off road running shoe market as I've been buying innov8 terroc 330s since they were invented. This last few years I've been buying the original model in sales and clearance and I even bought two pairs last time but finally they are dead.

So what do I do now? I feel like a complete novice so any pointers gratefully received.

I live on the South Downs so they need to be best on chalky, slippery, hard ground but able to cope with softer, marshy brooks, steep muddy slopes, sandy trails and a bit of tarmac. (Not much to ask)

I don't want to go through the uppers in 3 months. Mostly runs of between 6 and 20 miles, twice a week at the moment.

Paul Robertson 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

I just bought a pair of Inov8 Roclite 295, mail order from Needlesports. They were on special offer - 60 quid. They only just arrived, but they look pretty good.
 The New NickB 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

I've not tried the terroc, so difficult to compare. I also run on quite different terrain to the South Downs.

What I would say is that I have been disappointed with the longevity of uppers with both Inov-8 and Salomon.
 mbh 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

The uppers of my current Mizunos had a big rip in them after 120 miles! The pair before went after 600 miles. But they fit me well, better than Ionv8s do, and would be good on your sort of terrain, except for the muddy slopes where something more aggressive would be better. I use them on the Cornish coast path.
XXXX 29 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I agree about the uppers which is why I mentioned it. I just dealt with it and ran with holes in my shoes before because they worked for me but now I am free of that particular shackle, I might as well find a brand who know how to stitch.

Experience of Salomon noted.
XXXX 29 May 2015
In reply to mbh:

In fairness, the steep slopes I tend to avoid when it's really muddy because they're impassable without a rope and crampons. I will have a look at some Mizunos. Any particular shoe you can recommend?

mountainbagger 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

I asked a similar (though North Downs biased) question a while back:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=612988

I went for some Salomon's in the end (they were on sale ), but they are a bit stiff-soled. Surprising amount of grip despite not looking very grippy. My old Innov8 Roclites were awesome on trails (including the South Downs Beachy Head Marathon last year), but less comfy on roads and round where I live I am at least 30% on tarmac usually. They are sadly a little worn out, but to be fair they'd done 1000+ miles over several years (I didn't wear them all the time).
 mountainbagger 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Sorry, forgot to say, too early to tell whether my Salomon uppers are any good. My old Roclites were bombproof in that department, but it seems people have not had the same experience with recent models given what's been said above.
 The New NickB 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> Experience of Salomon noted.

To be specific, Speedcross. They go quite quickly where the shoe flexes. I've done about 200 miles in the current pair, soles are fine, but a big hole on the upper around my little toe joint.

Other Salomon models may be better.
 tony 29 May 2015

> To be specific, Speedcross. They go quite quickly where the shoe flexes. I've done about 200 miles in the current pair, soles are fine, but a big hole on the upper around my little toe joint.

> Other Salomon models may be better.

I have a pair of XA Pro shoes which are suffering the same thing, albeit after about 500 miles. Despite that, they're still my favourite shoes - the space in the front of the shoe makes them very comfortable.
 mbh 29 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:
I've had the Ascend and the Kein. I'm not sure what the difference is. I just went with what they had in the shop. Both are reasonably cushioned and are fine for the odd mile or two of tarmac.
Post edited at 14:40
 NottsRich 08 Jun 2015
In reply to tony:

My XA Pros have split as well, at the flex point of the shoe. Less than 200 miles, of which about 95% were in the dry. Not impressed with them, but they fit well. Do you know of any other similar shoe with similar toe box space?
 Chris the Tall 08 Jun 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Brooks Cascadias for me. Have found the Brooks road shoes have made a huge difference to my running (reduction in injuries), and got these for off-road
 yorkshireman 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Brooks Cascadias for me. Have found the Brooks road shoes have made a huge difference to my running (reduction in injuries), and got these for off-road

I've bee a big fan of Cascadias and had 7s, 8s, 9s and now on a pair of 10s. With the 10s though I suffered horrendous blisters on a recent 35 miler (never an issue with higher distances with the previous versions) and after about 300km there's a couple of holes appearing around the area where the little toe joins the foot. From what I've seen other people have been suffering these kinds of problems earlier.

All my previous pairs would give me 1000 miles of rocky trails with barely a scratch so this is disappointing.

I've got a small tear in the upper of my first pair of Speedcross with about 100km in the clock so will be disappointed if it turns into something much worse as aside from that they are fantastic.
 hamsforlegs 08 Jun 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Can second (third?) Mizunos. Did 400+ miles in them on very rough trails in North America and they coped much better than I would have guessed. The uppers did show tears and holes quite quickly, but this didn't seem to affect performance (or my rater of injury/scrapes) at all. Can't remember the model, but it was fairly lightweight with a nicely slim heel. Finally killed my pair climbing Longs Peak, which was a bit more than they had to give!

Also agree with the comments on the roclite 295s. I've had a few pairs. They seem surprisingly durable, but are not very forgiving for running on hard surfaces. I just bought a pair of trailrocs which seem better for smooth/hard stuff and would probably be fine on loose summer surfaces. They don't look very aggressive for getting into mud.
 Ridge 08 Jun 2015
> To be specific, Speedcross. They go quite quickly where the shoe flexes. I've done about 200 miles in the current pair, soles are fine, but a big hole on the upper around my little toe joint.

> Other Salomon models may be better.

Same on both Speedcross and XA. I love the fit of Salomon, but uppers just drop to bits in a couple of hundred miles (at best).
Post edited at 17:43
 Ridge 08 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

> My XA Pros have split as well, at the flex point of the shoe. Less than 200 miles, of which about 95% were in the dry. Not impressed with them, but they fit well. Do you know of any other similar shoe with similar toe box space?

Not run in them yet, but just got some Nike Flex Trail 2. Not sure how fashionable Nike are, but for 50 quid I reckoned they were worth a punt for forest trails. Very similar toe box to Salomons, got a UK 10 ( US 11) as opposed to the UK 9.5s I take for Salomon models.
XXXX 08 Jun 2015
In reply to XXXX:

I bought some cascadia 9s on sale and they are being tested something rotten this week in chamonix. Doing just great so far
 Roadrunner5 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Ridge:

I find it depends where you live.

Anyway I'm told the new Speedcrosses have been reinforced at that point..
 tony 09 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

> My XA Pros have split as well, at the flex point of the shoe. Less than 200 miles, of which about 95% were in the dry. Not impressed with them, but they fit well. Do you know of any other similar shoe with similar toe box space?

Sadly not, but then I did stop looking when I found the Salomons. However, I can't say I'm really that bothered by the split at the flex point - it doesn't get in the way of the way the shoe works, so I'll keep going with them until they really do fall apart (or I fall apart, whichever is sooner).
Iwan7689 17 Jul 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Well mate you might consider not wearing any shoes at all.. know it sounds pretty weird and a bit insane. Read this article the other day http://www.outdoorspro.co.uk/fitness/barefoot-running/ and it's actually pretty convincing
 Neil Williams 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Iwan7689:
I do run in not-very-bouncy shoes (and always knock about the house and garden barefoot), but the idea of getting rocks in the soles of my feet does not appeal!
Post edited at 15:00
 robert-hutton 17 Jul 2015
In reply to XXXX:

For a comfortable trail shoe the
New Balance Leadville 1210v2 is great for summer running
 petestack 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Iwan7689:

> Well mate you might consider not wearing any shoes at all.. know it sounds pretty weird and a bit insane. Read this article the other day http://www.outdoorspro.co.uk/fitness/barefoot-running/ and it's actually pretty convincing

If you'd read that more carefully you'd have seen that it's not promoting true barefoot running at all, but rather minimalist or 'barefoot' shoes. Though stating 'The only problem? People need to be more aware of the benefits of barefoot running!' is actually pretty contentious when you could just as easily say 'The only problem? People need to be more aware of the downsides of barefoot running!'
 The New NickB 17 Jul 2015
In reply to petestack:

I'm surprised that article is so recent, given that the "barefoot" craze is hardly new and that Vibram settled the class action against them 12 months ago.

Speaking as someone who owns some Five Fingers, as I got them free, I think barefoot or quasi barefoot running in small amounts can help foot strength and mobility as well as running form, but I would not want to do any serious running in them.
 angry pirate 17 Jul 2015
In reply to XXXX:

With the caveat that I don't great distances anymore I've been really impressed with my Adidas Canadias.
I have used them for running on rocks (though the rubber can get a touch slippy) but the sole is really aggressive so they excel in mud, wet grass, cow pats etc. I have lived in my current pair all season so far for hill walking, tabbing about the Peak and the like.
The only time I'm not a massive fan is when I scramble in them or run long road sections.
In reply to angry pirate:

About 30 km into a pair of Canadias and love 'em, although I have been stuck with trails and no hill stuff due to working down south.
 Alex1 10 Aug 2015
In reply to XXXX:

For trail I use innov8 trailroc 255 - great and can't fault them really. Bit more built up than some of their lighter weight versions but I prefer a bit of heal drop. Fast and decent grip.
 Roadrunner5 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Alex1:

I've been wearing the Scott Kinabalu's this season and have been really impressed with their versatility, one of those shoes which can cope with any terrain.

http://mountainpeakfitness.com/blog/2015-shoe-review-scott-t2-kinabalu-3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...