Recommend me a Bivvy bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mostin3 27 May 2015
Hello all,

I'm new to the world of Bivvy bags but I need one for this coming weekend. Could someone recommend me a decent one and reasons why?

Thanks in advance
JonnoMaude 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

I've just recently bought an alpkit hunka xl... Its budget price wise, however I have to say having used it a few times now, have had no problems whatsoever with it!

Used it once in a snow cave, and twice in a cave (one time with rain blowing in) and no condense or breathability problems, which for the money is amazing!

Plus, it being the hunka version, there's space for boots, roll mat clothes the lot and the use of a big bag as a quilt! Soo comfortable being able to move around within the thing
In reply to JonnoMaude:

+1 for the Hunka
 Kermi 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

+1 for Hunka XL
 tjin 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

For what use?

- Just in case. Superlight, cheap, non-breathing, alluminium coated inside to reflect heat, hopefully keep you warm enough so you won't die; AMK SOL BIVVY (Mylar like bag, but a different laminate which is stronger/silent)
- Cheap, durable and breathable; old army bivvy. Build like a tank, but weights like a tank too.

- For planned trips, i have a (discontinued) breathable Wafo bivvybag, which has a long zipper in the middle. Allowing you to craw inside it much easier and allows you to control the airflow, when you get to hot or need to get rid of moisture.
In reply to Mostin3:

+1 for hunka xl
In reply to Mostin3:

Another predictable vote for the Alpkit Hunka, but I'd use a tarp instead given the choice.
 jonnie3430 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

Another vote for the Alpkit one.
 RyanOsborne 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

Another vote for the Alpkit one. But in hind sight, the XL one is a bit too big. I thought it'd be handy to have the extra space being 6ft 2, but actually a normal size one would have been fine, and packs down smaller.
 Ron Walker 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:
For the price and performance it's hard to beat the Hunka at £30! I 've got several more expensive ones that cost almost six times the price and tbo there's not that much difference in breathability, if used properly, despite the huge price difference.
Post edited at 09:10
 NottsRich 27 May 2015

I've got a Hunka too and like it. I want to put a zip down it (I like modifying things) - has anyone got any recommendations for suitable zips? Waterproof would be best I guess, as opposed to a normal zip + storm flap unless the zip is on the side of the bag rather than the top.
 BigBrother 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

Has anyone used a Hunka for more than one or two nights? I am wondering whether there would be problems with damp building up inside a sleeping bag if used every night for a week or more. Especially with a down bag.
 mp3ferret 27 May 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

I use this site for most of my supplies : http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/default.php?cPath=31_53

They've always been very reliable.
 tim000 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

not really a surprise , but hunka xl are out of stock
 tehmarks 27 May 2015
In reply to BigBrother:

I used one for a full week in Ailefroide and had no problems. Admittedly it was 30C and I had a synthetic bag, but I can't say it got overly damp inside.
OP Mostin3 27 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll go for an alpkit I think. Does anybody have any advice in terms of conventional bag vs one with a hoop?
In reply to Mostin3:
I have the Terra Nova Jupiter, which is super nice. It has a hoop, a zipper to close the bag completely if it rains and a mesh is you want fresh air but not the insects. It is made from goretex fabric, so it is waterproof - and breathes, you know, a bit. The hoop is nice making the experience less claustrophobic when closing out the environments. It may be a bit heavier than Alpkit Hunka, but it is more versatile as you do not need a tarp when it rains - and then there are the ticks, the mosquitos and the black flies...
Post edited at 21:38
OP Mostin3 28 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

Has anyone used the snugpak stratosphere? I may go and look at it tomorrow.
 sid68 28 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:
Depends on budget and when you're planning to use it.
I have a TeraNova Jupiter hooped bivi; fully waterproof with mossy net which is really useful. Zero condensation and fairly light; can be used without the hoop.
Also use an ex army gortex bag; heavy but roomy. No condensation but needs cover in heavy rain as there's no zip!
Big fan of the Alpkit Hunka as it's cheap, well made and very light and compact! Had some condensation in it so I don't use it in the winter.
Hope this helps a bit.
 marsbar 28 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

I have a rab survival zone (quite old blue one) its fine.
 Siward 28 May 2015
In reply to BigBrother:

I have a German army goretex job in exchange goretex super breathable type fabric. Cost £100 but big with plenty of room for using in place of a tent. I'd recommend them.
 NottsRich 28 May 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.
 mattsccm 28 May 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

My experience of the Hunka, good though it is, is that it's a sleeping nag cover not a bivi bag. To my mind the latter should be sealable so that you can sleep in the rain. My old Snowdon Mouldings goretex once is great for that. Just zip up and you are good. Never noticed a lack of oxygen but as I need a piss at least once a night maybe I refresh the atmosphere. Its just had a weeks worth of use inside a tent in a very wet Scotland. No rain but equally no condensation.
 Owen W-G 28 May 2015
In reply to mattsccm:

I was in Needlesports in Keswick today and they've got Rab ones at half price. Look up their website.
 Marcus Tierney 29 May 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

Also recommend the hunka but don't get the regular like I did I am 5'8" and the regular is too small resulting in very cold knees in the Pyrenees !
 tehmarks 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Marcus Tierney:

Really? I'm 5'9 and the regular fits me perfectly!
 Mike Lates 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mattsccm:

good quality (3-ply?)gortex, the stuff with the fibrous inside layer breathes superbly; gutted when i lost my SMouldings one. total sealed in breathable night! tents of the same stuff were amazing single skin but i've not seen any for sale for years.
they use that in expensive bivvy bags but economise by ptting in rubber underlayer; roll over & condensation soaks you!
cheap gortex (2-ply?) that £100 shell jackets are made from is used in draw-cord military bags so no condensation. i use these on Traverses because they don't leak and its possible to keep a flap over the head with a flow of fresh air. Sealed even with just the draw-cord is unpleasantly hard to breath but i once had a zip-up version that seriously worried me after i realised i'd nearly asphxyiated myself.
intrigued by the hunka which seems to have done a good job- happy to try one out if alpkit rep is reading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...