What walking boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 25 May 2015
After loosing the heels off two pairs or Brasher Hillwalker bootslast year (Brasher did refund me the first time without quibble, but the second time only after a battle), I dececided to go for their Hillmaster ll which at £150 a pair (50% more than the previous boots) were reputed (by them) to be better and more hard wearing. Now 8 months on and after walking Offa's Dyke in them, plus regular use a couple of times a week in all weathers doing on average 10 miles a time the leather is splitting badly, particuilarly on the right boot, in several places. This is despite regular waxing with Graingers and I am about to take them back to the shop (Milletts) again and ask for a refund. The trouble is they will send them back to Brashers, which leaves me bootless for several weeks.

Looking closely at the leather the quality isn't good and whilst it looked fine when new, I can now see that it is very thin with no real substance to it.

I've been hillwalking for over 50 years and in the past had boots that lasted several years, these days, boots lasting just a few months is a joke! What has happened to quality boot making? I am not impressed by Brasher.

I appreciate that whereas everything used to be of good quality, quality these days, seems to only come at a price, but I wan't to be sure that if I splash out it won't also quickly turn out to be crap quality.

What boots can you good UKC people recommend as well made, comfortable, really waterproof and long lasting from your own personal experience? I am looking for mainly tough all weather mainly summer use suitable for scrambling, some winter walking but not winter mountaineering.

Thanks in advance.
 Greasy Prusiks 25 May 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Personally I think surplus military boots are hard to beat. They last for ages, stay waterproof + breathable and are really cheap. They're waterproof enough to stand in inches of water without any ill effects. I find them fine for scrambles but I've never tried them in winter.
Hope that helps.
http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/footwear/goretex-pro-boots-gra...
 john_mx 25 May 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I've got "north face verto s3k" and I am a size 10 and I got an 11 and I have them on everyday and I think there grate!
 Dave the Rave 25 May 2015
In reply to Trangia:
I haven't had any problems with Meindl Burmas.
Excellent quality.
They take the kahtoola walking crampons well, and I suppose any strap on crampon would be similar?
 felt 25 May 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Overwaxing issue?
In reply to Trangia:
Scarpa SL. Been using them for some thirty years now, and the latest version which I've had for about two years is the most comfortable yet. I do think that they appear slightly thinner leather now, but mine have put up with abuse and not given out yet and are still waterproof. Quite a heavy boot, but I wear all year round in Scotland as my go to boot. Have other lighter and heavier boots for specific conditions.
 LJJ77 25 May 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have Salewa mid mtn boot they cost about £150 in most places but i looked around and got them from begzeit via amazon for £120 they are my second pair great for scrambling and general mountain walking don't come in leather but they are pretty waterproof they are not crampon compatible but with a pair of kahtoola micro spikes you would be ok with some winter walking
In reply to Trangia:

Have a look at Altberg boots,by far and away the most resilient boots I have owned,and insanely comfortable all day long.They're the boot people in HM Forces splash their hard earnt cash on for good reason!
llechwedd 25 May 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Have a look at Altberg boots,by far and away the most resilient boots I have owned,and insanely comfortable all day long.They're the boot people in HM Forces splash their hard earnt cash on for good reason!

I'd agree that they're very comfortable - I had no foot problems at all wearing two pair of their 'Tethera's on a walk over the British 3000's. No other boot I've tried has been that good- Meindl's fit well but have always given a few blisters on consecutive big days.
Even though the leather is top quality, and despite being well looked after, the heelcup stitching of the Tethera isn't up to the job of coping with rough terrain- the uppers of both pairs failed at around the 40 hill day mark.
Sadly, I found that the boss of Altberg does not deal constructively with customer feedback aimed at improving their products. A quick google will reveal that I'm not alone in that experience.

Having said that, I've bought another pair recently- loyalty due to the comfort alone. A shame really, because Altberg, with the detailing sorted, could easily be a superb boot,

OP Trangia 27 May 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone for the tips. In the end it has boiled down to what felt most comfortable in the shop and I have plumped for a pair of Meindl Bhutans MFS. Not cheap at £195 (less the BMC Discount) but they feel very comfortable at the moment wearing them round the house, and have some good write up's on line.They replace the Meindl Burma range.

The Scarpa's were a close second but didn't feel so comfortable.

Anyway I've got them on trial to wear around the house for a week or so and I can return them to Cotswold Outdoors anytime up to a month if they don't work out, so long as I don't wear them outside.

That's the next hard decision - the point of no return, ie when to risk going outdoors and doing a 10 mile walk in them?

Flinticus 28 May 2015
In reply to Trangia:

A bit late now, but I love my Asolo boots. Before I had my current pair, walking was a gamble: would I get blisters or not? No longer! Now I worry about something else.

My Asolo boots get used for everything: light enough for summer & winter (walking, not climbing) and have lasted years so far. I know they will go one day and that is a day I fear! Will it be back to blisters?? The paticular model Asolo no longer do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...