Family tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 24 May 2015
Yes, the light 2 man tent is happily sleeping in the attic, waiting for its annual expedition, while our family grows.. So, we need a car camping tent. Ideally something which avoids all the nasty fibreglass poles getting stuck in badly designed sleeves and has some structural strength (for 'low-season' and Scottish fun).. But definitely a family tent. 4 man but with indoor space for babies and wet weather.

Any recommendations?
Thanks, mike

Andy Morley 24 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

I've been looking at the Coleman Ridgeline which seems a high-quality, reasonably-priced tent with a vis-à-vis design which I personally like. But as you don't like tent poles, Go Outdoors are selling various pump-ups - be prepared to pay for that though.
 funkyvin1 24 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

If it's of any interest to you I'm selling our Outwell Indiana 8 tent http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Outwell-Indiana-8/469 (it says 8 but we were comfortable in it as a family of 5). Steel poles, 3 bedrooms, decent size living space and dead simple to put up..... A really sturdy (even in strong winds) bomb proof tent.... The reviews in the link say it all really!

We probably used it for about 6 weeks in total over 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately now the older children have grown up and don't want to come on holiday with us any more so we have no further use for it.

Haven't really thought about a price yet but if you're interested PM me and we can talk further on it.

If not then have a free bump anyway.

Vince
OP minimike 24 May 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

Thanks, it's not that I don't want poles, I just want 'proper' ones without external joiners! I'll have a look at that one..

Vince, thanks as well, but that's probably bigger than I really want.

Mike
 gd303uk 24 May 2015
In reply to minimike:
have you considered a Bell Tent?
http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Robens-Klondike-Tipi-Tent-2015/m-11125.asp...

i like the idea of this way of family camping, tipi style , Dutch pot over a fire etc...
http://www.belltent.co.uk/
Post edited at 13:15
Removed User 24 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

+1 for the Bell tent. We've had one for 7 years and love it. Lots of space (especially in a 5m one) and only one main and one door frame pole. Easy to erect too. On a hot day you can roll the sides up and laze about in the shade.
There's a nice feeling of nostalgia too as I stayed in these when I was a kid.
 Sealwife 24 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

I have an Outwell Montana. Fantastic tent for a family. There are five of us. Plenty of space for sleeping and for eating, living and cooking in when the weather is less than perfect.
 djwilse 25 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

We have an Outwell Montana 6 for the 4 of us. Loads of inside space and has been pretty bombproof. Not light and bulky, so might need a bigger car or trailer! We have a table and chairs and cooking set up inside on wet days.

james wardle 25 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

We went from a Wild Country Quasar which did well for us while the kids where small to a Etesian 4

not anywhere near as strong as the quasar (but what is!) It works well year round, we have snapped a poll, but we do go out in some weather, and i think that was probably a manufacturing defect.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/wild-country-tents-etesian-4-tent-74110109?i...

main thing for us was something with standing headroom space to play inside in the wet and light enough to carry on short children length adventures.
In reply to minimike:

Bell tent is the best option - 300-500 quid will get you a half decent one and they are much sturdier than anything else you can buy from decathlon or go outdoors!
 jethro kiernan 25 May 2015
In reply to minimike: we have been very happy with our northface trail head 6
Proper poles will take a bit of wind and rain and light enough to be put on a plane at a push and enough room for the family.
We have recently got a coleman event shelter to provide daytime wet weather shelter this seems better than trying to having your sleeping area and living/daytime in the same space, kids don't have any concept of no muddy boots in the tent

OP minimike 25 May 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

So.. Tell me about these bell tents.. They look a bit 'glamping' but I do like them more than the big space ship jobs. How practical are they in terms of pitching, waterproofness, weight and drying the canvas after a wet trip? Also, are they properly midge proof? mesh doors? I'm tempted but not convinced yet! Can you get lighter weight (non-canvas) ones?

Thanks
Mike
In reply to minimike:

> So.. Tell me about these bell tents.. They look a bit 'glamping' but I do like them more than the big space ship jobs. How practical are they in terms of pitching, waterproofness, weight and drying the canvas after a wet trip? Also, are they properly midge proof? mesh doors? I'm tempted but not convinced yet! Can you get lighter weight (non-canvas) ones?

> Thanks

> Mike

They are glamping tents, yes. They occupy less floor space than these 8 berth monster Coleman/Robens things with a million fiberglass poles and take less time to erect. If properly treated they will be just as waterproof. You can get an inner for most models that have a messh door. Drying one is the hardest part but if it's properly proofed it shouldn't need any more than a few hours dry weather to dry out in the garden (assuming yours is big enough). You can get polyester bell tents that are lighter but not as durable.

If you're not convinced, you could hire one out for a weekend - we hire ours out but only in North Wales - https://www.facebook.com/lovecamping.carugwersylla
 Bloodfire 25 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

I've just managed to get hold of an unused Outwell Illinois, which is a close relative to the Montana. I got it super cheap otherwise I would've gone for the Montana without hesitation. That end of the Outwell range really are good stuff.

Always better to go for N+2 where N is the number of people in family.
OP minimike 25 May 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Ok, thanks for the info.. Maybe we'll hire one this time and see. Drying could be an issue (small garden) but there's always the allotment in a pinch.. Do they pack down ok for car transport? I don't want to have to get a trailer!

mM
In reply to minimike:

yeah, ours is the size of a large holdall (100lt ish) not including the inner which isn't that big. It's all the creature comforts that the wife likes to take that takes the most room!
 djwilse 26 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

Just seen Montana 6 for sale here:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=615322
 Denni 26 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

We have an Outwell Wolf Lake 7, fekkin huge! Reason we bought such a big tent is that we have a lot of kit and we like to be very comfortable, a T5 to put it in and because its polycotton, cool in the summer, warmer in winter.

Bought it second hand as new RRP is horrendous. Extra footprint for it and the front extension means we have a 4 star hotel for all our trips. It's a big old beast but I can put it up by myself in an hour. Would also recommend a Bear Lake 6 which is what we sold to buy the WL7.

Our first tent was the Montana 6. It is by far THE most popular tent for families with good reason. Large enough, bombproof and a good second hand value. If you got one of these maybe with the front extension and of course a carpet, you'll be very happy :0)

Hope this helps, Den
cb294 27 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

We have an older Eureka tunnel tent similar to this one:

http://de.eurekaeurope.com/p/wild-basin-4-btc/tents_family-breathable-techn...

The cotton version is heavy but incredibly robust (our family tent survived gale force winds that damaged our Hilleberg Keron), UV resistant, and has a much nicer interior climate when camping in hot climate. Best family tent ever.

CB
 ben b 28 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

For the last 10 years we have managed well with a Wild Country Family Khamsin (the original version) which works well if you can't face going all-out leisure camping windows and porches. Poles are Easton DAC and very resilient; I've carried it in a 100l pack with some sleeping bags (not over big hills but a few miles nonetheless!). Two sleeping compartments (midgeproof) and a central dressing/cooking place, so less good if kids need attention in the night.

After 10 years of "2 inches not quite tall enough to stand up properly in" I have just bought an REI Kingdom 8 with the extended porch, and will attach a large number of guy lines to it. Not yet used in anger and will be 4-5 months until it is warm enough to get outside in it again. But we are in California currently and I have enough baggage allowance so it works out a lot cheaper than buying one back home.... Will report back if it goes well!

b
 Mark Kemball 29 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

We have had a Wild Country Homestead (7 + 3) for the last 10+ years, it's still going strong, and is a great tent. 3 separate sleeping compartments which you can put up or not leaving loads of room for cooking or just sitting around. Steel poles mean it is fairly heavy, but it stands up well in a gale.
 Timmd 29 May 2015
In reply to minimike:
What about a giant ridge tent like this with alloy poles?

http://www.bcttaskforce.co.uk/

I should add I'm nostalgic for this kind of tent as my parents had one made before I was born for family camping, and it was a very communal and cosy place to be.

The kind of tent which is easy to add strips of metal (or similar) across the A frame on I'd imagine, to make it seriously wind proof.

I'd kind of recommend having a giant ridge tent made to suit your requirements, from my memories of liking camping in one as a kid, but I'm being swayed by fond camping memories.
Post edited at 12:31
 Timmd 29 May 2015
In reply to minimike:
A picture of the sideways door extension for the task force tents.

Presumably the living area is bigger on bigger tents.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ian/media/Stoves/TF4diagpole.jpg.html

That's enough nostalgia about ridge tents, on with my day.
Post edited at 12:32
 d508934 29 May 2015
In reply to minimike:

they don't make them any more, but if you have time before you need to buy keep an eye out for a second hand wild country citadel. we've got the citadel 5 I think, bomb proof as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMkXLBS7ds&index=1&list=PLFBE1E1AE...

got ours from wild country seconds/returns department - none listed on their site at the moment but worth giving them call. poles are big and heavy though, which is kinda the trade off with having something so secure.

the citadel 6 is on amazon at the moment but that is enormous i think.
 GrahamD 29 May 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Ditto. Brilliant tent. Recently adopted as the club social tent as well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...