Well done ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JJL 24 May 2015
Abortion next
 Skyfall 24 May 2015
In reply to JJL:

Indeed. The Catholic church had better have a long hard look at itself now.
Jim C 24 May 2015
In reply to JJL:

I would like to see a referendum vote on faith schools, and not just in Ireland.
 james mann 24 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

I think there is virtually no chance of this given the government's free school programme which enables virtually any religious organisation to set up their own school. Through having faith schools children are separated. This in turn leads to less mixing, fears and prejudices in communities which all contribute to the politics of fear. There should be no religion in school at all. It is sad that this government have chosen to keep the only truly flawed part of the Blair government's education program.

James
In reply to Skyfall:

Apparently, the only thing they need to look at is why their indoctrination programme in schools isn't working:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32862824

Time for a return to the traditional values of abusing choirboys, and enslaving, beating and mentally torturing young, unmarried mothers?
Jim C 24 May 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Time for a return to the traditional values of abusing choirboys, and enslaving, beating and mentally torturing young, unmarried mothers?

The postings on a local schools forum in the West of Scotland shocked me with stories of physical and mental abuse and bullying of very young children by the nuns in Catholic schools, and to be sure there were some stories about non Dom schools too, but tame by comparison. I can only hope it is better now. But better safe than sorry, and make all schools non Dom and take religion out of it. I'm sure that this can be catered for outside of school hours giving more time for academic education. Win win.
 Jon Stewart 24 May 2015
In reply to JJL:

Well done indeed.

What I found strange about it was the need for a referendum. Gays make up around 1-2% of the population, and only a proportion of those even want to get married. I think it's symbolically a big deal for gay people whether or not they're included in society's mainstream systems and rituals (especially the one which is meant to be about happiness); but I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for everyone else. One would have thought that a democratically elected government could pass legislation to deliver equality to minority groups.

It looks to me like a nation obsessed with bummers. Catholics are quite extraordinary.
 jkarran 24 May 2015
In reply to JJL:

Ay, good result.
jk
 elsewhere 24 May 2015

> One would have thought that a democratically elected government could pass legislation to deliver equality to minority groups.

I think it's a change to the constitution so they needed a referendum.

> It looks to me like a nation obsessed with bummers. Catholics are quite extraordinary.

Plenty of interest outside of Ireland including David Cameron and even here on ukc there's this thread. We're obviously obsessed with bummers like those Catholics.
 Greasy Prusiks 24 May 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:
I really hope your joking with that last line. Otherwise I think your post is incredibly ignorant or arrogant. I don't like wading in to this kind of thing but dismissing three groups of people like that ain't right.
Post edited at 13:33
 Jon Stewart 24 May 2015
In reply to elsewhere:

> I think it's a change to the constitution so they needed a referendum.

Ah yes. That seems unusual but it's true.

> Plenty of interest outside of Ireland including David Cameron and even here on ukc there's this thread. We're obviously obsessed with bummers like those Catholics.

As I said, I think it's an important social change worthy of our interest, I just didn't get why a referendum was needed since the issue just doesn't affect the huge majority of the population (although misguided weirdos think it does). But now I do!

Jon Stewart 24 May 2015
In reply to ACollins:

> I really hope your joking with that last line. Otherwise I think your post is incredibly ignorant or arrogant.

I don't see why. I'm joking a bit, and I probably wouldn't use the word "bummers" if I wasn't gay myself, but I do think that the Catholic religion teaches weird and unhealthy attitudes towards sex and sexuality. The Catholic church's interest in what other people do in bed (or elsewhere) is disproportionate, illogical and unhelpful (or even hateful); and given the church's position in Irish society and governance, this unhealthy obsession naturally spills over to the rest of society.

Which part of this do you think is so dreadful to voice?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I think "bummers" is a derogatory term. It sounded like you were blurring a line between not agreeing with a religion(I don't either) and not agreeing with the people who follow it.
Apologies if the post came out stronger than intended.
 Timmd 24 May 2015
In reply to ACollins:

He was saying that Catholics in Ireland seem obsessed with gay people. Or bummers as he put it.
In reply to Timmd:

> He was saying that Catholics in Ireland seem obsessed with gay people. Or bummers as he put it.

That's how I read it. Them Catholics should stop the unhealthy interest in what goes on behind private closed doors, by consenting adults.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. Apologies if so.
In reply to james mann:

> There should be no religion in school at all.

No observance or indoctrination, I agree. But education about the wide spectrum of religious belief and history, yes. To include atheist moral belief, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...