Ultra Shoes- Advice please...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeteBott 20 May 2015
Hi!

I've got my first Ultra coming up in August. It's going to be 53km on alpine paths and trails and I need to sort some shoes out.

As I've got really wide feet I'd normally go for Salomon Crossmax, XA Pro or Speedcross as trail shoes. Typically the Crossmax has been discontinued and I'm not sure the XA Pro has enough tread.

With that in mind I'm wondering:

1) Is it worth looking at 'ultra specific' brands like Hoka One One or Altra?
2) For this kind of distance would I benefit from more cushioning than on a standard trail shoe?
3) Has anyone got any recommendations on what other options might be worth a look for a higher-volume toe box?

Hopefully you can give me a few pointers...

Thanks.
 yorkshireman 20 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

Which race is it? I'd be tempted to say don't worry too much about grip - 53km is far enough that you won't be tearing down trails to gain every last second. I'd say stick with the XA pro - if its your first ultra keep it simple.

I've do alpine ultras normally in Brooks Cascadias (not especially grippy) but even did on 86km race in Brooks Adrenaline (road shoes).
OP PeteBott 20 May 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks for the advice!

It's the OCC (quarter distance version of the UTMB) and my aim is to complete, rather than compete. I just want to try ang get the kit sorted now so I'm running with it over the next couple of months.

I'll revisit the XA Pros and see how they feel.

Thanks again!
 Dark-Cloud 20 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

XA Pros are pretty heavy though are they not ?

I did a 100k Ultra in Sense Pro, the Mantras are worth a look too. Other than that the Inov8 range is worth a look, some of their shoes are pretty wide.
 The Potato 20 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=615972&v=1#x8049935

Surprising how few people read other threads eh
OP PeteBott 20 May 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I haven't found the XA Pros too heavy, but I haven't found a pair of Sense Pro or Mantras yet... I seem to find that I struggle with Inov8's as the toe-box always feels a bit small. Again I'll try and find a stockist and give them a go.

Thanks!
OP PeteBott 20 May 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Thanks for pointing that out- you're right, I'd completely missed it!
 Dark-Cloud 20 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

The Rockltie 295 have a MASSIVE toe box, almost too wide for me, certainly wider and roomier than the Sense and Mantra, they havent got a rockplate though which if its really stoney you might want to consider
 Pete Houghton 20 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

I've run two ultras plus a load of ultra trainings in Sportiva Bushidos, a lot of the time over the same paths you'll be running on the OCC. You see an awful lot of Bushidos here, they are a great shoe for the terrain, and that distance. I'll be wearing mine for a race in June, using some of the same paths as your OCC.

If I'm honest though, I bought them because they were 40% off, and I had to cope with about 100km of my slightly-wider feet naturally pressing them out a bit. Once the foot got the fit though, I haven't got a bad word to say about them, and I'm tempted to replace them straight off when they die (if I can find them reduced again, that is).
 Roadrunner5 21 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

I'd go a road shoe if it was dry. They are great trails, if wet I'd look at something with more grip. I'm liking the Scott kinabalus at the moment but see what fits.
notaclue 21 May 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> The Rockltie 295 have a MASSIVE toe box, almost too wide for me, certainly wider and roomier than the Sense and Mantra, they havent got a rockplate though which if its really stoney you might want to consider

I would agree with the rocklite shoes roomy and plenty of grip.

Socks spend the money and get a pair of Drymax socks. Since I got some not a single blister and I'm out for 6 hours at a go
 The Potato 21 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

Might as well say something about the NB Leadvilles, they're ultra specific so would be suitable, good grip and cushioning, spacious toe, got one small blister.
OP PeteBott 27 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

Thanks for all the input folks- it's greatly appreciated!

I'll check out some Inov8's and see if I can find the Leadvilles and Kinabalus. If the Bushidos need a 100k of wearing in for wide feet they might not be my first call at the moment but I'll bear them in mind as they sound like they could be worth a look.

Looking at socks I used to get awful blisters and then switched to Injinji's. They're a bit unconventional as they're toe socks but I'm finding they're a great fit and I haven't had a problem since. I'm most likely going to stick with them but might explore the compression version they make.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Fingers crossed the race goes OK now...
 wkrzys 27 May 2015
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Yes, I'm currently experiencing this with my bushido's and was wondering if its just me! Not sure if they'll be ready yet for my first ultra race of the season in 2 weeks time!

Will keep working at them
 fmck 28 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

I have XA pro 3D and wore through the outside edge in 3 weeks! Approx. 135miles

Really comfy though.
 edunn 28 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

Now on my second pair of these:
http://www.inov-8.com/new/global/Product-View-XTalon-212.html?L=26

I find they give the right balance between weight and support and are super comfy. As with any pair of shoes though, I would wear them in before a big race, as the studs are fairly large (albeit very soft).
 The New NickB 28 May 2015
In reply to edunn:

X-Talons for an ultra?
 The Potato 28 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

could be worse, someone tried a 50 trail ultra a few weeks back in vibram 5 fingers!
 StefanB 28 May 2015
In reply to PeteBott:

I am usually a fan of Hokas for really long stuff, but on technical terrain I have found it better to go with something more technical. I have a technical alpine 50 miler (Sardona UT) in Speedcross and felt comfortable.

The extra cushioning of Hokas work really well to save your legs on easy ground, but on technical stuff I prefer to feel really good grip and not get "mentally tired" by trying to stay upright too much.

Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...