Please Comment on the Nordisk Oppland SI 3 Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 20 May 2015
As mentioned in another thread on tents, yesterday, I am looking to buy a tent for camping on moderate to long climbing trips (a whole week is long for those of us with days jobs) and, after a hefty amount of reading on the matter, I have identified the Nordisk Oppland SI 3 as one possible purchase.

Please comment on the tent, specifically, or one of the more general questions, below:

1. How are Nordisk tents? I am unfamiliar with the brand.
2. How is this design of tunnel tent? I am more familiar with dome-style tents but this tunnel design seems to be all the rage in England and Europe, from what I can tell, and I like the idea of a covered vestibule since camping seems to involve a lot of sitting in the rain and climbing involves a lot of faffing with gear.
3. Am I correct in thinking that the Silicon-coated Nylon (coated on both sides) is good in the rain and better than PU coated anything?
4. How does UV exposure and long-days left in the sun affect the silicone coated material? This tent will be left in camp sites while its occupants are on nearby rock.
5. How repairable is it?
6. The base is PU coated which makes me nervous... but I suppose the base can always be fixed by adding a proper ground sheet, should the PU coating fail. Would that work?
7. It seems supremely expensive but I'm prepared to pay that price if I can expect ten years of use out of it. Would such a thing last that long?

Alternative suggestions would be welcomed, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...