SOS message from mobile phone causes mayhem on Skye Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scranner 19 May 2015
Today, I had one of the worst experiences of my life on the Skye Ridge. My friends, down in Glen Brittle, were having a worse time.
We had walked up to Bannachdich, and whilst 2 of the four of us returned to the Youth Hostel, I and a friend set off to do a short stretch of the ridge, to An Dorus. In the meantime my stupid 'smart' phone, ensconced in a waterproof bag in my rucsack, conspired to somehow send three SOS text messages to my mate in Sheffield. "Emergency" the first one said, The second said "I need help", with a Google maps URL. The third said "SOS!" with another map reference. Being out of signal and my phone on silent (plus concentrating on not falling off the ridge) I didn't get the phone calls asking WTF? Consequently, and in an impressive way, the whole rescue service was mobilised. Police, Skye MRT, and a massive coastguard's chopper were involved. Thankfully, the chopper guys were able to spot and confirm that we were alive and kicking and stand down the 20-odd MRT members and dogs before they set off. We had no idea the chopper was there looking for us as we tried to wave it away, thinking it may be on an exercise.
Anyway, for someone who'd rather crawl down with broken legs than dial 999, this has been an appalling episode. My two other friends (and the Sheffield contingent) thought we were dead or injured for 2 hours and had to deal with a peeved (rightly) MRT and police. Everyone has been inconvenienced, to say the least.
But, the point I want to make here is that my new Galaxy S6 somehow fired off those SOSs without any intervention from me. How, I've yet to discover, but in the meantime, it might be worthwhile thinking about turning off the SOS capability of your phone or turning your phone off completely when it's in your sack. Normally mine's in a wraparound case but I took it off to save weight, leaving it potentially open to spurious key presses from the rough and tumble of rucsack life, I presume. I've not consciously set up the SOS function and don't know anything about it, indeed, I would be grateful for any information concerning it. When I know more I'll post.
I'm utterly ashamed by this, so many people affected by my stupid bloody phone. Needless to say, the guys on the ground, Skye MRT and the police, and those in the sky, from Stornoway, were fantastic, and the way the system swung into action was a great credit to them. In the end their one concern was that we were safe. It is humbling.
If you're reading, guys, thanks and apologies.
 veteye 19 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Perhaps you should send them a good token of your apology and humility,even though you played,as it seems a relatively passive role in setting up the call out.
OP Scranner 20 May 2015
In reply to veteye:

That, of course, is in hand.
Removed User 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

this is how its set up http://gs6.wonderhowto.com/how-to/use-sos-feature-your-galaxy-s6-case-emerg... fairly convoluted process.
 Roadrunner5 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:
Nice to know the system works.. you'll laugh about this one day, but yeah I'd be embarrassed but you didnt do anything wrong.

I actually dont see why you need to throw a few bob in.. we do that (or should) all the time, not when they are needed (even when they aren't). The rest of us should throw something into a tin just as much as you whenever we hear this sort of story as next time it could be us and for real.

The worst thing is your mates going through that tbh. That must have been horrific for them and now you.
Post edited at 03:20
In reply to Scranner:

As someone who's been involved in SAR, the first thing I'd say is that you could go easier on yourself, if you wanted to

It's to your credit that you feel bad about all this, but I doubt that anybody in the teams is too worried about being called - and stood down - for a false alarm.

I do always turn my phone off when out and about - but only because my ancient pocket brick has a battery life measurable in minutes. Like you, I'd rather crawl back down.......
OP Scranner 20 May 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Thanks for all the supportive messages. Difficult not to feel a right tw*t though, and my immediate friends are enjoying it.
The SOS thing is triggered by three quick presses of the power button, probably a great feature in the right circumstances, but I'm at a loss how it happened - it was inside a waterproof case in its own pocket...

I've disabled the whole thing now, I'm paranoid it happens ever again!
Cheers
 Mal Grey 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Thanks for sharing this, must have been disturbing and then embarrassing for you, and downright frightening for your friends.

You did nothing wrong, and I'm absolutely sure that the rescue services will just be glad you were OK.
In reply to Scranner:
> The SOS thing is triggered by three quick presses of the power button, probably a great feature in the right circumstances, but I'm at a loss how it happened - it was inside a waterproof case in its own pocket...

You should complain to Samsung and make sure they know this design fault resulted in mountain rescue being called out so there is a bug report logged for their engineering team. They need to change the software to make it impossible for the SOS function to get triggered by mistake.
Post edited at 09:10
 fmck 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:
Best get rid and buy a cheap phone. You know one that you dial a number and you speak to a person. I don't know why people need all the other stuff as we already have tablets, PCs etc. As far as I can see there invented to turn you into a rude b#####d staring at your "phone" when people are talking to you
Post edited at 09:24
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> They need to change the software to make it impossible for the SOS function to get triggered by mistake.

Seconded.
In reply to fmck:

> Best get rid and buy a cheap phone. You know one that you dial a number and you speak to a person. I don't know why people need all the other stuff as we already have tablets, PCs etc. As far as I can see there invented to turn you into a rude b#####d staring at your "phone" when people are talking to you

I didn't know you used UKC Grandad. How's Granny today?
 Dogwatch 20 May 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> How's Granny today?

Busy on her iPad, Skype'ing the grandchildren.

Nutkey 20 May 2015

> Seconded.

There's only one way to do that - and that's to remove the feature completely.

Bob 20 May 2015

Surely the point of an SOS feature is that initiating it *is* relatively simple as by definition you are going to be stressed when you most need it. Unlike 999/911/101 emergency calls, I don't think it's a legal requirement.
In reply to Bob:

> Surely the point of an SOS feature is that initiating it *is* relatively simple as by definition you are going to be stressed when you most need it. Unlike 999/911/101 emergency calls, I don't think it's a legal requirement.

It should be relatively simple but deciding that three quick presses of the power button means send an SOS is god-awful user interface design. There is no logical connection between the function of a power button and sending an SOS so this is basically a hidden feature that hardly anyone who needs it will remember is but lurks waiting for the sequence to happen by accident. Even worse when the power button is constructed so the three presses sequence can happen by objects pressing against the phone in a rucksack. At the very least if they are going to overload the function of the power switch like this there should be a confirmation screen before an SOS is sent.
 fmck 20 May 2015

Well if having all that on a phone results in countless man hours and huge costs being wasted . Especially with so many cuts being made by the government in NHS, etc. Yeh, I suppose being a bit old fashioned is my choice.
Rigid Raider 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Features like this are just pandering to public paranoia about kidnapping, terrorism and gruffalos. You are far more likely to trip coming down and bash your brains out. In fact I sometimes wonder why walkers don't wear a lightweight helmet when out walking if they are so concerned about safety.

My work phone never goes with me when I'm cycling or walking; I just carry a topup phone I bought for £2.99 from Carphone Warehouse. I don't actually know how it works because none of the buttons is identified and the only time Mrs Gti rang me on it while I was on the bike with the phone in my jersey pocket, my cycling buddy and I thought the noise was a helicopter following us. I've changed the ringtone to the William Patel Overture at full volume now but nobody has called me since.
 Bob 20 May 2015

Well there's no correlation between simple and logical Features like this get added by various manufacturers in different ways and they jostle to become the standard method. Even a confirmation screen could be bypassed if the relevant area is pressed though a timeout would limit the window of opportunity, better would be a "Swipe to the right to confirm, swipe to the left to cancel" message/action.

The problem with many devices is that there's limited room to place extra buttons especially for something as (hopefully) rarely needed as an SOS trigger. Also more buttons = more points for water ingress and a slight weakening of the casing. or perhaps more cynically - greater cost of manufacture. You also have to consider other users of your phone.

Garmin GPS units (well at least the biking ones) also overload the power button: a short press brings up a screen from which you can lock the screen so you don't trigger something you don't want. A long press does the power on/off.
 kwoods 20 May 2015

Agree, the idea you can send out an SOS message with three taps of the power button seems utterly insane. Samsung clearly didn't think that one through. I also would be very uncomfortable with my phone sending out messages I presumably didn't write, such as "I need help!". That would be disturbing enough to receive.

Respect to Scranner for opening up the discussion on something as mortifying as that, I know I would have been!
In reply to fmck:

Personally I think a removal of the SOS feature should solve the problem. I personally like my phone being able to do everything. Means I don't need a laptop or a tablet. A phone and my work computer are suffice for me.

But each to his own I suppose!
 fmck 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Wonder how the media will title this tomorrow?
 Andy Say 20 May 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I've changed the ringtone to the William Patel Overture at full volume now but nobody has called me since.

This will be the lesser known Swiss hero, of asian origin, fighting the evil burgomaster?
 Marek 20 May 2015

> I just carry a topup phone I bought for £2.99 ...

You need to check that it still works. Depending on the carrier, they commonly disable pay-as-you-go accounts if they haven't been used for a while (1-3 months?). I got sick of trying to remember to make a 'keep alive' call once a month from my emergency phone.

ChrisJD 20 May 2015

On my Galaxy S5 it is simply listed under 'Safety Assistance" in the setting menu.

I saw this first on my previous S4 when I was bored on the train and was going through all the settings. Was surprised the phone had it - and then turned it off straight away!

Three Menu listings: 'Emergency Mode' (powers down phone & function to minimum power consumption), 'Geo News' (you get texts about extreme weather etc), 'Send help messages' (the one that got you!).

It certainly upped the ante for you from the usual pocket call/text.

At least you can now quote/mis-quote Twain
Post edited at 11:15
 Howard J 20 May 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

> I've changed the ringtone to the William Patel Overture at full volume now but nobody has called me since.

> This will be the lesser known Swiss hero, of asian origin, fighting the evil burgomaster?

It goes "poppadom, poppadom, poppadom, dom, dom".
 Simon Caldwell 20 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

"or turning your phone off completely when it's in your sack"

out of interest, why do you not do this anyway? Unless your job involves being on call 24/7?
 planetmarshall 20 May 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> I do always turn my phone off when out and about - but only because my ancient pocket brick has a battery life measurable in minutes.

I typically switch mine to "Airplane" mode to conserve the battery rather than turning it off. That way I don't have to wait several minutes for it to start up should I actually need to use it.

Andy Say 20 May 2015
In reply to Howard J:

> It goes "poppadom, poppadom, poppadom, dom, dom".

I like your work.
In reply to Scranner:

new Galaxy S6 Something from sky watch?
In reply to Andy Say:

> I like your work.

Seconded.

Mine used to be capable of responding to voice-activated command to turn its predictive text language to Afrikaans. That was annoying enough, though hardly on the scale of the OP's embarrassment.

W H Murray would have known what to do (see his disastrous bivouac in MiS)

jcm
In reply to Scranner:

Just checked mine, one of the newer samsung phones and it is an opt in feature with the trigger move being to press the volume up and down button three times. You can also change the message that is sent.

Appears therefore that changes highlighted above may already have been made.

Sure you may feel like an arse but no harm done and better to be called for an error than not at all and being looking to do recovery next day.
 Camm 21 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Embarasing for you but 95%-100% Samsungs fault, a good idea in an urban environment if you're being mugged or something but the problem is there's going to be so many miss ops that nobody will take it seriously.
 Camm 21 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

And my last Samsung was a bugger for doing random shit in my pocket, worst was in a quiet but crowded tram and all of a sudden a loud womens voice came out of my trouser pocket that said "What would you like to do?"
 Fruit 21 May 2015

Laughed out loud at the Gruffalo comment, sooooooooo true :-D
OP Scranner 21 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Thanks for all the comments, folks, it helps to know it may not just be me. I also think the ergonomics of the alert function need to be improved. I think the nerds rarely think of a phone being anywhere other than in a ladies handbag, and are rarely ruggedised enough to take even the slightest rigours of real life.
 Flinticus 21 May 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I typically switch mine to "Airplane" mode to conserve the battery rather than turning it off. That way I don't have to wait several minutes for it to start up should I actually need to use it.

What I do too. Really prolongs the battery life and stops me getting the bank asking if I'd like to talk mortgages while I'm out getting away from it all.
Chunky 25 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:
Hi Scranner. A friend of mine directed me to this site. I was one of the helicopter crew that was called out to look for you that day. I just wanted to say, firstly, don't beat yourself up at all, these things happen. I'm sure you'll take away the appropriate lessons. I think it was a big positive that you had some form of emergency comms with you. Some people still go out with no comms at all and no plan for the what ifs. Secondly, I think you should pat yourself on the back for wearing such distinctive colour clothing. This enabled us to spot you easily from the aircraft at distance, and the fact we knew the colours you were wearing allowed us to discount others that we could see quickly and continue searching for you two. Identifying people from the helo can be very difficult, even with IR search cameras. Dark clothing is really difficult to see from the air, especially if someone is sat still too. Also, the fact that you put your thumbs up and seemed to indicate that you were continuing with no obvious injury was a positive. Quite often we search for people and when we find them, they just stand and do nothing but look at the helo when we arrive assuming we know it's them who are in need of assistance.
Anyway, no harm done, looked like a cracking day for it! Happy walking!

balmybaldwin 25 May 2015
In reply to Chunky:

Very good of you to take the time to post.

I would like to say a big thank you from all of us who spend time in the hills and mountains, without you and your colleagues a (thankfully small) number of us might not be here.

Whilst you are the last thing we like to see (as it usually means someone's in trouble) it is fantastic to know if the worst happens we have such a professional emergency services at hand if required.
OP Scranner 25 May 2015
In reply to Chunky:

Many thanks for those points. We'd actually passed 3 guys on the ridge and I mentioned the chopper flying about (then hovering over the coordinates I was sat at when the phone did its thing) and one of them said he knew the winchman and that they were probably on an exercise, so we just enjoyed seeing you flying about (indeed, we quipped how nice it was to have our own guardian angel that day, ironically!). When you spotted us I figured you might like to know all was well so I tried to signal that, so I'm glad you picked it up. Because you were taking an interest I actually left my bright over-trousers on deliberately for the rest of day should you come back and check that we'd made it to the An Dorus escape. My friends in the valley really appreciated you showing them the pics you took as confirmation of our well-being, and their worry turned to parent-like anger, and I received a good and proper berating when we finally got down. Good point about the bright clothing, I shall take that lesson with me from now on. The Rab Neo pants I was wearing were brand new, second time out, and are actually superb.
I've been given stick from all quarters now for the incident, but everyone is incredibly impressed about just how well the system worked. Thanks again, chaps.
 fmck 25 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Great stuff to see folks not costing the Scottish tax payer a feckin fortune through non experience of their phones.
OP Scranner 25 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

> Great stuff to see folks not costing the Scottish tax payer a feckin fortune through non experience of their phones.

Ahem. Would you care to think about that for a moment, and then re-phrase it using additional facts of the matter.
 veteye 25 May 2015
In reply to Chunky:

Also, the fact that you put your thumbs up and seemed to indicate that you were continuing with no obvious injury was a positive. Quite often we search for people and when we find them, they just stand and do nothing but look at the helo when we arrive assuming we know it's them who are in need of assistance.

Back when I was a student in Glasgow many years ago,there was an apocryphal story of a fellow climber who got benighted on The Cobbler in winter.The story went that the as soon as it got near light,that the helicopter set out to look for the missing student and being as he was wearing fairly bright waterproofs against a snow background and heading back down the regular track near the howf boulders he was easily seen.Nevertheless he tried to hide/run away!

Cog 25 May 2015
In reply to veteye:

> Quite often we search for people and when we find them, they just stand and do nothing but look at the helo when we arrive assuming we know it's them who are in need of assistance.

Best if they hide or run away then!
 John Ww 26 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

I wonder if my English taxes have contributed to the operation you've apparently had so that your mouth opens before your brain activates?

JW
 veteye 26 May 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Is there an additional control to put him mute/coma mode that you have activated as well?
 fmck 26 May 2015
In reply to veteye:

I 'm surprised the press haven't come on to this as the cost must of been enormous either English or Scottish taxes.

If you buy a piece of kit do you not read the instructions? How do you know how it operates without reading the instructions. It seems to me that is common sense in how you would use a piece of kit.

Failure to even bother is negligence and that's the beginning, middle and end of the story. It was a failure of the person to bother to learn his bit of kit resulted in a lot of people being put out and costing a lot of money.

Paint it what colours you want but that's the facts.
OP Scranner 26 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Troll? If it isn't it's fortunately rare to read such ill-considered nonsense. BTW, you may benefit from re-visiting your GCSE English language (writing skills) notes from your school days - assuming you experienced such.
 fmck 26 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:

Not stopped me mate from being a degree qualified civil engineer and now a manager. As thick as you want to call me I have not caused such as feckin mess in 30 years climbing through my own negligence.

In reply to fmck:

> It was a failure of the person to bother to learn his bit of kit resulted in a lot of people being put out and costing a lot of money.

> Paint it what colours you want but that's the facts.

Erm, no.

Until pretty much this exact point in time, getting one of the Services choppers out hasn't really been an additional burden to the taxpayer: central to the provision of rescue cover are the training it provides and the flight hours logged towards mandatory requirements. In other words, two hours in the air spent on rescue are two extremely useful hours that would otherwise be spent going up and down the valleys. Whilst it's undoubtedly expensive to put a helicopter in the air, it's not necessarily an *additional* cost.
With the privatisation, who knows how it's going to be totted up by the bean counters? You may even become right, one day.

As to land-based rescue teams, these famously don't cost the taxpayer anything. Which is how they would like to keep it - as someone who spent a good few years in government-funded SAR (Coastguard CRT), I can tell you that it's a poisoned chalice, as the management seems to be dominated by people who think like you.

As to your inference that the OP is a numpty for not being able to drive his phone, well, he got that one in a while ago - and since he took it on the chin extremely well, nobody thinks the worse of him for it. But your linking of that to presumed disadvantages to rescuers and tax payers, that just doesn't hold water.

I think the Daily Mail allow readers to comment on its website. You might before comfortable there.
 Tall Clare 26 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

It's a pretty well-hidden feature on these phones - whilst I'm aware of many of the other things my phone can do, I had no idea this feature existed until I read this thread. I've now gone into settings to check it's all disabled.

The OP has apologised and has posted this thread to raise awareness. We *all* f*ck up sometimes - if only everyone had the humility to admit it and learn from it.

John Ww 26 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Your words...

> "If you buy a piece of kit do you not read the instructions? How do you know how it operates without reading the instructions".

> "Failure to even bother is negligence"

So tell me... do you / have you read every instruction manual from cover to cover before you operated every device you own? Be honest now - TV remote? MP3 player? Kettle? Washing machine? Bicycle?

Assuming you drive a car, did you read the owner's handbook from cover to cover before you ever put the key in the ignition? Really? Come on now, tell the truth!

Do you know every single function of every keystroke of every program or app on your computer / tablet / smartphone? Do you? Really? Scout's honour?

Because if the answer is no, you are by your own definition, negligent, and therefore a hypocrite.

If yes, then I strongly suspect that you are indeed one in several billion.

Just as an aside, I am also "degree qualified" (sic), and although not a civil engineer, I know enough about life to realise that when you keep digging ever-deepening holes, eventually your best bet is to put the shovel down.

JW

fmck 26 May 2015
In reply to John Ww:

> Your words...

> So tell me... do you / have you read every instruction manual from cover to cover before you operated every device you own? Be honest now - TV remote? MP3 player? Kettle? Washing machine? Bicycle?

> Assuming you drive a car, did you read the owner's handbook from cover to cover before you ever put the key in the ignition? Really? Come on now, tell the truth!

In the word of the law if I caused an accident at work because I had not bothered to follow the manufacturers recommended instructions then yes I am liable. It will be a biased argument obviously here but the buck stops at the person with a piece of kit that has failed to learn how to use properly
In reply to fmck:

> In the word of the law if I caused an accident at work because I had not bothered to follow the manufacturers recommended instructions then yes I am liable.

Hmm.

You owe a duty of care as a civil engineer; this ultimately defines your job as a profession and you as a professional. Within the regulations and guidance for your profession are embodied a number of expectations of you, including competence whilst at work, but not necessarily whilst at play. This is how it should be.

The same liabilities don't universally translate to the world at large or the man in the street (or, indeed, to the man on the ridge). Essentially, the OP can't be held responsible for the actions or time of would-be rescuers: he didn't knowingly request them to attend and his actions aren't considered negligent even by the crew of the chopper. It's just you.

I can see the point you're making - the OP's been a complete divot. Unfortunately, he's made a better argument for this being the case than have you and his honesty has earned him a few fans. So I'm not sure why you're continuing down this path; perhaps better to take earlier advice and stop digging. Given that you're a civil engineer, it's not even a well-constructed hole that you're making for yourself anyway.
 wercat 26 May 2015
In reply to fmck:
You have made the mistake of picking on the wrong target. It is your fellow engineers who produced a product that caused this mess. Building in a function that could clearly and easily forseeably cause an emergency callout as the result of a simple and probable sequence of events!

Stick to engineering and leave understanding of principles of law to those qualified in that field.

You might benefit by reading up on the subject of "product liability".
Post edited at 22:28
 John Ww 26 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Nice attempt at a sidestep there, but you still haven't answered my question - are you a liar, a hypocrite, or both?

JW
 fmck 27 May 2015
In reply to John Ww:

I can see your point in taking things to the extreme in order to justify the argument. I confess I didn't read a book on walking before I took my first steps. I am therefore a liar.

Is this the point of your argument?

You don't seem to understand things very well like personnel responsibility. I imagine your still quite young so I wouldn't be so concerned, these things come with time.
 John Ww 27 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Well you've finally achieved a positive reaction from one of your posts - you've actually made me smile! I'll leave you to work out which aspect(s) tickled me.

JW
 tony 27 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

> You don't seem to understand things very well like personnel responsibility. I imagine your still quite young so I wouldn't be so concerned, these things come with time.

Personnel responsibility is taking responsibility for personnel - other people working for you. Do you mean that, or do you mean personal responsibility, which is taking responsibility for yourself? Legally, they're quite different things, so it's important to get it right.

Postmanpat 27 May 2015
In reply to fmck:
> You don't seem to understand things very well like personnel responsibility. I imagine your still quite young so I wouldn't be so concerned, these things come with time.

Before making such assumptions it's common sense to check the person's profile. Failure to bother is negligence…..

Incidentally, what are we supposed to do about apple products, which generally don't have a manual? Spend the rest of lives googling their capabilities?
 John Ww 27 May 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Obviously my advice to put the shovel down fell on deaf ears.

JW
 fmck 27 May 2015
In reply to John Ww:

So the argument is its ok to call out a full rescue by mistake although it could of been preventable?

John W : No shovel here its always been a rod!

John Ww 27 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

> "So the argument is its ok to call out a full rescue by mistake although it could of been preventable?"

Ok, my final words. This post has been read 6,579 times and has now had 63 contributions. Of these, only you have been critical of the OP. Maybe it's time to reassess your thoughts in the light of public opinion, and consider that it is in fact you, rather than the OP, who is in error.

Bye.
 fmck 27 May 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Bye john you were a good catch.

Till the next time ; )
 John Ww 27 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Ok, despite my previous departure, here goes...

If you are in fact trolling, you're a time-wasting prick.

If you aren't trolling, you're a prick.

Either way...i call "prick".

JW
 fmck 27 May 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Bye John.
 FactorXXX 27 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Bye john you were a good catch.

This is UKC and trolling is reserved for a single post only and with no replies permissible.
In fact, many say, that the post should be the originator of the thread and no further part should be taken by the poster thereafter. Maybe this could be called a 'Uber Troll' and the likes of you a 'Unter Troll'...

Chris Murray 27 May 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> At least you can now quote/mis-quote Twain

Did he have a Samsung Galaxy S5?
OP Scranner 27 May 2015
In reply to Scranner:
As the originator of this, I would like to say thanks for the positive vibes from the many, thanks to the people who mattered to me in this episode, to say that I hope some avoidance of similar false alarms is occasioned, but also that - if I may - I would like to now close this conversation, and let it become tomorrow's chip-paper.
Thank you and goodnight.

Scranner
Post edited at 23:08
 Goucho 03 Jun 2015
In reply to fmck:

> I 'm surprised the press haven't come on to this as the cost must of been enormous either English or Scottish taxes.

> If you buy a piece of kit do you not read the instructions? How do you know how it operates without reading the instructions. It seems to me that is common sense in how you would use a piece of kit.

> Failure to even bother is negligence and that's the beginning, middle and end of the story. It was a failure of the person to bother to learn his bit of kit resulted in a lot of people being put out and costing a lot of money.

> Paint it what colours you want but that's the facts.

I thought there was a distinct possibility that for just once on UKC, this thread might escape the arrival of the gobshite keyboard warrior?

But then you arrived.
 ChrisJD 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

Probably the S-100
 Andy Say 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've just had a delve into my Motorola and found that it is set to give me warnings of 'extreme threat to life and property', 'severe threats to life and property' and 'child abduction emergency bulletins'.

But it doesn't seem capable of telling others I am under threat which is OK.

But Goggle will know where I am at all times anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...