Know 'owt about plumbing? Is this a botch job??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Howdy all

So we've just removed a radiator due to a change of purpose of a room, and now it's gone it has revealed something.
The radiator connectors, seem to be short lengths of copper pipe going to flexible plastic pipes that vanish up into the wall.

Here is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about: http://picpaste.com/e9c3df692736f42f1562be12c93d4a69.JPG

I always thought that plastic pipes are a no no in central heating systems?? Is this a botch job? Do I have to worry?

Ta!

IG
 JLS 18 May 2015
In reply to Infinite Granite:

My house is the same. I think plastic is the new copper...

wintertree 18 May 2015

Plastic pipes are pretty standard for most parts of a central heating system these days.

I am however mystified by the copper pipe running horizontally inside the boxing. It seems unlikely that both that and the plastic are connected to the radiator...

If it was done well you might expect to see the hole in the wall where the pipes emerge sealed with a neat little box so you don't have air flow between the wall and the room?

Edit: As I understand it you can now get side (rear) entry radiator valves that allow the plastic pipe to enter the radiator from behind effectively unseen, meaning that unsightly boxing and "pretty" stubs of copper can be done away with entirely.
Post edited at 22:33
In reply to JLS:

Phew. That's a positive start.
The copper pipe below is what I assume feeds the radiator which is about 4 feet to the left in the hallway.

I know cock all about plumbing mind!

Isn't the copper pipe the radiator bypass?

I.E. The one that allows the water to travel round the system if the thermostat valve is closed on the radiator.

(Not a plumber either!)
csambrook 18 May 2015

Perfectly normal, in fact a "kwality job". Plastic where it makes it easier switching to copper where it's seen and where it's likely to get abused. Plastic's rated for all but the first 1m from the boiler.
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

That would make sense wouldn't it? The only question then is, why do the plastic pipes go UP into the wall??
 pec 18 May 2015

> That would make sense wouldn't it? The only question then is, why do the plastic pipes go UP into the wall?? >

Pipes to downstairs rads often drop down where they branch off from pipework between the ceiling and floor above, especially if there are solid floors downstairs but sometimes its just more efficient (in terms of pipe) to run it that way.

In reply to pec:

Outstanding. Thank you so much all. Very much appreciated.

This (amongst many other reasons) is why I love this place.

IG
 Wsdconst 19 May 2015

> That would make sense wouldn't it? The only question then is, why do the plastic pipes go UP into the wall??

They're run in the ceiling void between joists so one circuit can feed upstairs and down stairs
 krikoman 19 May 2015

Are you sure the copper pipe is "related" to the radiator?

It might be a hot or cold water feed to a tap / toilet etc.

what you have is "normal" though, plastic is indeed the new copper.

It's easier to work with, though quite a few older plumbers will still us copper in their own homes.

Ex plumber - some time ago too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...