Backpacking Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodw 17 May 2015
Intend doing a backpacking circuit of 4000 will be leaving punch bowl car park early afternoon and expect to be on Macadui by tea time, my question is has any one experienced pitching tent on or near summit of Macadui
Rod
 MG 17 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Depends how near. Loch etachachan was very pleasant and had ice bergs about this time of year.
 paul-1970 17 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Pitch your tent over by the Sapper's bothy, about 100m to the east of the summit cairn. You will get some shelter from the inevitable winds there. If you're planning on being up there in the next few weeks, you'll be sleeping on snow, so be comfortable and cosy. And be ready to change your plans; the high Cairngorms will rip apart any tent no matter how 'bombproof' the ratings have it. If it's very windy, pitch near to Lochan Buidhe or Loch Ethachan. Or in the bothy at Hutchy.
 Dave the Rave 17 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Snow showers forecast. It may be prudent to descend to the Lairig Ghru, giving the option of the bothy?
OP rodw 17 May 2015
In reply to MG:
Will be going on 8th June thanks for great tips
 OMR 17 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Where are you going after McDui? If you're heading over to do Cairn Toul, Angel's Peak and Braeriach the following day you might be as well to start dropping down into the Lairig and pitching on softer ground around the col linking McDui with Carn a Mhaim. The summit plateau is all pretty stoney and, though there are possible campsites they are mostly away from where (I assume) you are heading.
OP rodw 18 May 2015
In reply to rodw:
Hi will heading for Carn Toul but not leaving punch bowl car park till approx 1oclock so not sure how far I will get before time to pitch tent
 OMR 18 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Should still be plenty light to head down to col. Depends on whether your tent is self-standing or not and what sort of views you're after - and how tired you are!
 brianrunner 18 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

I have pitched at the flat area between the summit and March Burn, at about NH982004. I think there are plenty of camping possibilities nearer the summit too, especially if there is still snow around to even out the ground. You may want to take water up though...
In reply to rodw:

I'll second Loch Etchachan. Beautiful place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...