What to do with a full set of OS maps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planks Constant 15 May 2015

My school has come into possession of a full set of Landranger maps and we've been discussing what to do with them.

We'd like to do something that gives the greatest amount of use and value to the greatest number of pupils.

One option is to have them in the library where all pupils can access them but I don't think they'd see much use, likewise with gifting them to the Geography dept or Duke of Edinburgh.

Another option would be to mount them on a wall giving a complete UK map at 1:50,000 scale. This would also be a good pupil project.

Any other suggestions or advice on how to go about the wall mounting?
Post edited at 17:39
 Coel Hellier 15 May 2015
In reply to Planks Constant:

> Any other suggestions or advice on how to go about the wall mounting?

First, find a wall big enough (not at all easy). Second, invest in a cherry-picker to allow the pupils to see the map.
 George Fisher 15 May 2015

Could you stick them to a floor and varnish over them. Then you could walk round the UK and make up all kinds of games, projects, searches, like a map from a war film.

Maybe a geography classroom?

In reply to Coel Hellier:
> First, find a wall big enough (not at all easy). Second, invest in a cherry-picker to allow the pupils to see the map.

I was thinking about splitting it up along a corridor!
Post edited at 18:09
In reply to George Fisher:

> Could you stick them to a floor and varnish over them. Then you could walk round the UK and make up all kinds of games, projects, searches, like a map from a war film.

That's good although I can foresee practical issues.
In reply to George Fisher:

> Could you stick them to a floor and varnish over them. Then you could walk round the UK and make up all kinds of games, projects, searches, like a map from a war film.

> Maybe a geography classroom?

I have always thought about doing just that as a art installation.
Would be amazing. I'd spend hours discovering new places.

OM
 Jack B 15 May 2015

The UK at 1:50k must be getting on for twenty meters tall, even if you move the islands around to make life easier. If you split it into panels which fit on the wall of a normal room then you won't really get the "whole UK" effect you want. A better choice for that would be the OS 1:250k, that map would be four meters tall and rather more practical. And I think the 1:250k mapping is available as a free download these days too.

I rather like Coel's suggestion. Make it into a floor and cover with varnish or toughened glass. You'd need an area 20m long and 8 wide I guess, it might be hard to find somewhere suitable in a school and the glass/varnish would need regular polishing to keep the map visible.

PS: isn't your name missing a `c'?
In reply to Jack B:
> > PS: isn't your name missing a `c'?

Thanks for your map suggestions. The c is deliberately omitted as a skiing pun, it was my Skiheads forum screen name.
Post edited at 18:28
 Brass Nipples 15 May 2015

Create a quiz (or a number of quizzes) that can only be answered by referencing every single land ranger map.

You could teach them how to use them, it may save them in or from a sticky moment
 Mal Grey 15 May 2015

I remember, as a kid, visiting a school where they had pasted the whole of England and Wales onto the wall of a 3 or 4 floor stairwell. Probably 1" maps, but same idea. It was brilliant!

I still think of decorating one wall of my lounge with local maps.

When (yes, WHEN. Suppose I should actually buy a ticket one day.) I win the lottery, one of the very first things I will do is buy a complete set of Ordnance Survey Maps at both 1:50k and 1:25k.

jockster 15 May 2015

May cost a bit to do properly but the floor of the hall would be good - years and years of varied activities could be had, including activities for many other schools (as a teacher I am very jealous)
 Trangia 15 May 2015

>
> One option is to have them in the library where all pupils can access them but I don't think they'd see much use,

For some reason I find that statement sad...........
 George Fisher 16 May 2015

> That's good although I can foresee practical issues.

I can see opportunities for solutions discovered by pupils... Get the tech dept to research the best glue to stick them down and the best varnish to cover it up. The science dept could run some experiments on chemical attack and hard wearing-ness.

C'mon, it'd be awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...