Recommendations/Advice: Compact Zoom for Outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 13 May 2015
So, I'm looking to buy a compact (ish) camera for general climbing and outdoor photography (mostly photographing landscapes, climbers and wildlife). Currently I am just using my Nokia Lumai 920, which does give passable photos, but has no optical zoom and isn't good at dealing with high contrast (but goes on every climb with me).

I recently borrowed a friend's RX100 (MK1), and it took amazing photos in comparison (unsurprisingly with a 1 compared to 13 sensor), but I didn't necessarily feel like I was getting photos that wouldn't be able to otherwise, just hat they looked a bit better, as its optical zoom is only ~3x, and I find a longer zoom is often useful in the mountains, or when photographing other climbers. I know theoretically I could just crop hi-res photos to a similar effect, but a) I don't do any photo editing and don't really enjoy it, so likely wouldn't bother, and b) I find a zoom allows you to frame a subject better and is much more enjoyable.

So at first I was looking at the new Sony HX90 - 1/2.3 Sensor, 30x zoom, EVF. The zoom looks good, and am keen on an EVF for a better experience (feel more connected to the photo, less likely to take lots of pics because I don't really know what I'm looking at).

Then I thought that it might be better to try and get a larger sensor, but have found it's hard to get something smallish (fits in a chalk bag/pocket) with >5x zoom and a larger sensor.

So now looking at an Olympus Stylus 1 - 1/1.7 Sensoor, 10.7x Zoom, EVF. Zoom isn't as large, but I think it would still be an improvement over no/<5x optical zoom, and the sensor should give better pictures, however not sure if the trade off is worth it. Also you can get the TCON&#8209;17X zoom lens attachment for £100 which could extend the zoom to 17x when not needing compact size (taking picture when at the base of crags rather than on climbs).

The other option I have toyed with is to resign my longer zoom preference and get a Canon G1 X (MkII) - 1.5" sensor, 4x (5x) zoom - and just force myself to crop when needed.

Am I missing any other obvious options? Is 1/1.7 sensor going to be noticeably better than 1/2.3?

I'm not in the habit of blowing up my pictures (although have done on occasions, with results that are OK at a distance) and would rather get more pictures I like than get fewer but better quality pictures (I think).

Any advice greatly appreciated.
moffatross 13 May 2015
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Firstly, physics dictates that a camera can only be made with 2 out of 3 of large sensor, compact size, and long optical zoom reach. Appreciating that can help prospective buyers not to waste their time searching for a product that can't/won't exist.

So if you're not editing or cropping, and your fave shots sound like they're going to be mostly in daylight, you'll be happy with a JPG only, all automatic camera with a small sensor, and the Sony HX90 you've identified with its EVF, compact size & 30X stabilised zoom lens looks like it'll tick all your boxes.
 alimckay 14 May 2015

I'm no expert on the subject but I've been looking for a similar type of camera and I found the Panasonic TZ70. It has a 1/2.3 sensor, 30x zoom, has aperture and shutter priority modes, EVF and shoots RAW. It seems pretty similar to the Sony HX90 you were looking at just a little big bigger and perhaps to be found a bit cheaper as it isn't so new.

Just a thought!
 Justin T 14 May 2015
Can I throw Canon Powershot S120 in the mix?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-S120-vs-Olympus-Stylus-1

... although I probably should have read your requirements on zoom, sorry, only x5. But otherwise a superb little compact.
Post edited at 17:08
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 17 May 2015
In reply to Justin T:

Am looking for exactly the same thing, so will be keeping any eye on this thread...
 jonnie3430 17 May 2015

For an outdoors camera I'd want it waterproof as well so it can be on the outside of clothing ready for easy use. I had an Olympus mju, now have a Panasonic Lumix FT3 and like it. Cheap FT3 or newer FT5?

Review from Feb 2015 here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-waterproof-tough-cameras-2015...
In reply to jonnie3430:

I decided against rugged/waterproof cameras as it seems you loose too much in image quality. I don't plan on taking shots in water, and don't tend to climb in the rain (and when this does happen I don't tend to take photos), and will carry a small dry bag if this is a possibility.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...