The ultimate Scottish/mixed ice tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 12 May 2015
So I'm sat here thinking what would make the ultimate Scottish and mixed ice tool. High on my list would be:

Durability
A strong, probably forged pick system. Either that or a Stainless or armour plate pick, although I don't have experience with either of these two.
A range of picks which could be used for different climbing
Versatility of positions to hold the tool in
Damping capabilities to prevent shocks from travelling down the shaft
An even weight distribution, with enough weight in the head to make penetration easy, but not make the tool unwieldy
A usable hammer
Enough of a crank to reach over obstacles but not so much that it becomes awkward to use
A comfortable main grip, which could possibly be made for an individual.

So, what are your thoughts? What tools have you recently used which you thought were far and a away the best tool you've ever used? What did you use it on?

In the name of full disclosure, I'm sat here at my desk, with 9000 worth of cad, a cnc machine, a ten ton tensile tester and some time to kill. I don't work for anybody who makes ice axes, and I fancy a project...
 DaveHK 12 May 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Built in whisky flask.
OP beardy mike 12 May 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Haha - I like it... What about an ice cube tray?
 NottsRich 12 May 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Make it easier to get the tool out after sinking it in too deep in solid neve when scared.
OP beardy mike 12 May 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Blimey, just overlaid the Quark over the Cobra... not sure which one came first...
 PPP 12 May 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Something better looking than this one: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/coyote-ice-axe-id_8320467.html
 iksander 12 May 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Target weight <=600g
Full strength clip-in/spike pommel
Second high grip with same pick-to-handle angle as the main grip
Adjustable handle angle (see Cassin X-Dream)
One piece shaft and head ala Grivel Machine 3.0
Textured Plastidipped shaft and head for grip, damping and insulation
Have a look at the krukonogi picks if you haven't already, or it make it compatible with Grivel's picks
A curved extendable shaft that is strong, durable and light would be quite an engineering coup
Personal preference is for tools with a balance point 2/3 to 3/4 towards the head
 Roberttaylor 12 May 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Full strength spike at the bottom that you can get a snapgate through easily. Would hugely improve the Nomics.

R
In reply to iksander:

> Have a look at the krukonogi picks if you haven't already, or it make it compatible with Grivel's picks

I am a big fan, have had a set of armoured steel picks from these guys in my nomics for over a year now, used on chalk and dry tooling with little or no signs of wear at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...