Mammut Revelation or Beal Joker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cloquet 06 May 2015
Trying to decide on a Single rope - Revelation / Joker are the two at the top of the list. Anyone with hands-on experience of either AND any advice on length. I currently use 50m and have a 60m for big winter routes: do I need a 60m for Mixed routes including Alpine rock or is the current trend just a trend as the 60m ropes seem to be very competitively priced with few 50m ropes available.
 TobyA 06 May 2015
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

I bought one of the Revelations must be almost a decade ago now. Really nice rope, seemed alarmingly thin at the time come from 10.5s or 11s! And then I have (for complex reasons) 2 Jokers, one I bought, second I got for a review. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3765 I think of them as bit different, as the Revelation ISN'T triple rated as far as I know (the Mammut Serenity is). So the joker is more multipurpose as you can use it as a single or a half, while the revelation is at least designed solely as a skinny single. The Jokers are good though - mine have last long and had better dry treatment than Mammut, noticeable using them for ice climbing, come spring.

MischaHY 06 May 2015
Jokers are brilliant for sport, that being the only capacity in which I've used them.
Post edited at 19:16
 alasdair19 07 May 2015

for alpine and Scottish climbing for me the Beal uni core technology makes the decision easy. I've used jokers and they are very good more durable options are available. but they are very light for a single.

before looking after people in the mountain I used half's for everything. get the 8.6 mm ones from Beal. 2 jokers are heavy.
needvert 07 May 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Current Mammut Revelations are triple rated.

(My revelation use has mostly been constrained to carrying it in my pack, where it excels compared to non-skinny ropes...)

I have a Joker, every single person that uses it comments on how well it handles. I've used it for everything, trad, sport etc and can't fault it.
In reply to TobyA:

I would go for the Joker as it should benefit from being a "Unicore" rope. (See video testing Unicore against other ropes)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...