Ben Nevis conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hendofan 02 May 2015
Hi I'm going up Ben Nevis tomorrow can anyone tell me the conditions? I'm bringing my 8 year old so want to make sure its ok.
 luckyjim 02 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Weather looks nasty tomorrow... i d give it a miss
 Cuthbert 02 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Full winter conditions and you will need to be equipped and able to handle Ben Nevis in the middle of winter in poor weather.
 Run_Ross_Run 02 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Pretty sure there's winter weather predicted for that area tomorrow. I'd postpone if if you can.
 fmck 02 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

This isn't an actual question is it. Given your experience I don't believe you would take a child up there given the forecast. I do think you being an experienced hill walker (profile) you have got the knack by now at what forecasts to look up.
 kwoods 02 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:
I did wonder (and refrained from posting) as I wondered if it was an actual question. A quick look at MWIS would have shown some seriously gnarly conditions for tomorrow, and moreso of course for an eight year old. Nevis is in complete winter condition at the moment with a tonne of fresh snow and more to come.
Post edited at 23:32
 Joak 03 May 2015
In reply to kwoods:
> A quick look at MWIS would have shown some seriously gnarly conditions for tomorrow, and moreso of course for an eight year old. Nevis is in complete winter condition at the moment with a tonne of fresh snow and more to come.

A quick peek out of the car/bunkhouse/hotel window on either the drive up or on arrival would have revealed that the Scottish hills are still very much a tad wintry. Btw, 15 years ago I took ma 8 year auld laddie up a snowy Ben on Easter Sunday wearing a pair of wellies. They were a top of the range pair wi a fancy wee lacing arrangement that helped spare ma blushes. I had suitable footwear and equipment I hasten to add!
Post edited at 00:34
Hendofan 03 May 2015
In reply to kwoods:

Id seen the met office weather but there were other forecasts predicting light to moderate rain. We've already done Snowdon in February with immense cold and snow, the reason for asking was to check the wind and I'm taking that it's too much.. What a shame as I was driving overnight and had already booked a hotel.
Hendofan 03 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:

Tomorrow could be the day looking good.
 AlH 03 May 2015
In reply to Hendofan:
Today on Ben Nevis https://davidbuckett.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/may-bank-holiday-weekend/, looks like February rather than May!
+ Nevis Range reporting gusts of 100mph today!
Post edited at 15:43
 Milesy 03 May 2015
I was up carn mor dearg yesterday and it was properly winter. Crampons and ice axe was very much needed. The sudden gusts were taking me off my feet at times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...