Solar chargers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodw 02 May 2015
I am gearing up for some multi day backpacking trips including the Cape Wrath Trail and I am trying to sort out the best Solar chargers. I will take an iPhone for messaging and reading iBooks and a satmap gps
Rod
 Only a hill 02 May 2015
In reply to rodw:
Generally speaking they're not a lot of use in the UK (I've tried them!) A better option is a high-capacity portable power bank. I have a 12,000 mAh one and it can charge an iPhone about six times.

I'm also doing the CWT this year. Feel free to message me on here if you fancy comparing notes!
Post edited at 14:12
Gilad N 02 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Hi Rod,

Glad to hear another CWT adventurer is getting ready, when are you planning on starting?

I'm taking with me the PowerMonkey Explorer. I had good experience with it on several multi days, and if fully charged before leaving can give you 3-4 charges on a smartphone (I use a LG) and just strapping it on the backpack will "top it up" on the go. A full day of sun will fill it about half if starting from empty, but if you place the whole kit in a thick ziplock bag it will charge even on days of low light and rain.

I have had a problem with a tip for my Olympus tough camera, but a combination of cables made it useable.

Good luck on the walk!
 The Lemming 02 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Check out Anker batteries off Amazon, they should do what you need.

I have two myself.

dsiska 02 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

I had Anker® 14W Solar Panel Foldable Dual-port Solar Charger last year in the Dolomites. When it was 100% sunny it was perfect. But as soon as it got a bit overcast the iPhone said "accessory not supported" and stopped charging unless I unplugged it and plugged it in again.

So now I use it with a USB battery pack that is not as fussy as the iPhone and then charge the phone from the battery pack.

Tom Last 02 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

I've got one of the little Brunton ones which has a small PV cell and can be mains charged as a power bank. I like it, but as Alex says not much use in the UK for much of the time, and when the Sun does shine it still needs 24 hours or so for a full charge in direct sun. That said if you've got a day sitting around camp then it'd be worth it. The one I got was pretty small and only carries 2 iPhone charges. I found this sufficient to keep both of my compact cameras and my iPhone operational over two weeks, in which time I took several hundred photos on the camera and made one phone call and a couple of texts and watched a movie on the iPhone. Don't forget to turn the wifi on your phone off, it makes a world of difference to battery life.
HTH.
Tom
llechwedd 03 May 2015
In reply to rodw:
Cheap and cheerful - a spare 'phone battery off ebay. Weighs bugger all, costs a couple of quid. All you need is access to a power source. Works fine as long as you've got a basic small screen 'phone, have disabled everything you don't need on it, and keep it switched off until needed. Unless you're doing the trip avoiding human habitation it's a workable strategy.

I guess that doesn't work if you want e reading. Presuming you're not using sphagnum moss ( watch out for ticks on your tackle!), you could always save weight on bog roll by using disposable paperbacks courtesy of the local Oxfam shop. Then you'll be doing your bit for charity too. Reading habit has to be as regular as your bowel habit for it to work properly....
Post edited at 17:06
In reply to rodw:

Nomad, from goal zero. Not cheap, but nothing else touches them. I've a Nomad 7 with the 10 plus charger, which you need for larger devices.

http://www.goalzero.com/
 mlt 03 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Nomad 27W solar panel will have no problem charging in an okay British weather day. Also charges when somewhat overcast. Although, probably totally overkill for what you're needing to use it for!
Jim C 04 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

Another vote for the Anker, mine is the 13,000 mAH, used it on biking trips.
 Siward 04 May 2015
In reply to rodw:

If you are reading, that means having the screen on for extended periods which means battery drain.

Have you considered a kindle for reading? One charge will last you a couple of weeks...
 Only a hill 04 May 2015
In reply to Siward:

Another option is audiobooks, which I've been getting into recently. Most smartphones will last many times longer when used for audio.

I used to swear by taking a Kindle into the hills, but mine is now three years old which seems to be the point at which a lot of Kindles suddenly fail. It's been showing signs of wobbliness recently so I'm not taking it into the hills with me this year. A Kindle is also a single-use item which takes up space and weight in your pack - may or may not be important to you!
 Only a hill 04 May 2015
In reply to Siward:

> If you are reading, that means having the screen on for extended periods which means battery drain.

P.S. While I'm thinking about the subject...

The biggest cause of battery drain is actually low cell signal, so the single best thing you can do to extend battery life is to put your phone into airplane mode. As of the latest iOS software update, both iPhones and Androids can now access GPS in airplane mode if required. Needless to say, also switch off wifi, bluetooth, all background app refresh, unnecessary location services, and anything else you don't need. Brightness should also be on the minimum usable level. Another important tip: delete the Facebook app, which is a battery hog even when you aren't using it (can't overemphasise this point!)

With everything switched off, I've been able to use the Kindle app on my iPhone like this for extended periods of time. Battery drain can be as low as 5% per hour. That's actually better mileage than some of the more recent Kindle models.
 UKC Forums 04 May 2015
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 PPP 04 May 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> A Kindle is also a single-use item which takes up space and weight in your pack - may or may not be important to you!

I still hope that guidebooks will be released in Kindle version, too. That's most likely to never happen, though.
 Only a hill 04 May 2015
In reply to PPP:

I don't know about climbing guides, but some Cicerone trekking guides are now available in Kindle format. I have the Cicerone guides to the Cape Wrath Trail and John Muir Trail on my Kindle at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...