Conditions on Fisherfield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David White 30 Apr 2015
Does anyone know how much fresh snow is on the hills in this area - it's a good forecast for Saturday and I was thinking of the Fisherfield Round but could be hard work if there's a lot of fresh snow ?

Andy Nisbet 30 Apr 2015
In reply to David White:

My guess is that it could be hard work. Not greatly hard but not good if you expect the round to be tough. I climbed Beinn Chaluim today, shortish hill but harder work than normal.
 CathS 06 May 2015
In reply to David White:

I'd be interested in any updates on conditions in the Fisherfield too, as I'm planning on a trip there in a couple of weeks time.
 petestack 14 May 2015
In reply to CathS:

http://www.petestack.com/blog/fisherfield-through-trip-and-backslab.html

All photos taken 4 May, with trip completed in trainers and snow probably melting out a fair bit since then.
 Simon Caldwell 14 May 2015
In reply to petestack:

but it's due to get cold with more snow from about Saturday, continuing for the foreseeable future...
 petestack 14 May 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Aye, but it's also mid May, and less and less likely to lie for any length of time in compromising quantities. And my post was more a (hopefully useful) statement of 'here's how it was when you asked' subject to all the usual caveats affecting such things.
 CathS 14 May 2015
In reply to petestack:

Many thanks for the useful update and great trip report Pete. Impressive effort!

I remember travelling up to Skye about this time three years ago, with a crap forecast and it snowing as we drove up through Glen Shiel, with fresh snow all over the Cuillin Ridge when we arrived. Three days later it was 30 degrees and the snow had all but disappeared.

I'm hoping and praying that the same winter to summer switch will materialise against the odds next week...
 Simon Caldwell 15 May 2015
In reply to CathS:

We're currently trying to decide whether to head north tomorrow as planned, or postponed for a week and hope things improve rather than get worse
drmarten 15 May 2015
In reply to David White:
I did An Teallach today and carried an axe but didn't take it off my rucksack, nor were crampons required. Snow in the main is that which is left in gullies and fringing the top of corries. Looking into the Fisherfield group they looked to be in the same condition. I think the forecast is pretty cack for this weekend which may be more of an issue.
Edited to add : Twice previously I've descend An Teallach from the bealach between Bidean a'Ghlas Thuill and Glas Mheall Mor, this wouldn't have been possible today without abseiling due to the snow at the top of this descent which is precariously steep at the best of times. I descended SE from the end of Glas Mheall Mor which was steep but no problem.
Post edited at 21:22
 Scomuir 16 May 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Did you by any chance take any photos of Glas Tholl - specifically showing Hayfork Gully and North Gully? I'm curious to know if they are still full of snow and complete.
 Nigel Coe 17 May 2015
In reply to David White:

We drove from Coniston to Poolewe and walked to Carnmore on Wed 13th, climbed Gob and Dragon the next day under blue skies but in a cold wind on Thurs (one of my best mountain days ever), and walked out before the rain hit for the drive home on Fri 15th. Very little snow visible.
drmarten 17 May 2015
In reply to Scomuir:

I've looked through my photos and found a picture showing both gullies, North Gully looked complete if a bit 'dirty' at the bottom where rockfall has left an unsightly skidmark on the snow. Hayfork Gully looked as if it might be broken in the middle or maybe the sides of the gully are hiding it, snow cover for Hayfork stopped about 5-10 metres short of the ridgeline. Both gullies had snow cover extending down to approx level with the base of Minor Rib.
If you do go keep a lookout for the avalanche headwall and debris lying in the corrie to the north of Glas Mheall Mor, it looks very odd.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...