Rucksack repair?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Apr 2015
I've got a rucksack with a chest strap that's come off. It's one of those with a wire rail encased in fabric on each shoulder strap and the chest strap it's self has a plastic clip that sits onto the rail. The plastic has pulled of the rail but hasn't broke. Can't get it back on to save my life, any ideas?
 PPP 28 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Yes, it's fixable. That happened to me in Cairngorms few summers ago - I couldn't fix it in field conditions, so visited a shop in Aviemore with no luck. A girl in Cotswold Outdoors fixed it in couple of seconds without damaging the rail! I am not that handy, I suppose, so I came up with another solution. I just broke/flatten the rail with a screwdriver (it's some sort of flexible plastic pipe going) at the bottom which makes the rail narrower. That way it is really easy to put it back and given you don't slide the buckle down, you are fine! During normal use, I have never had problems it sliding down, but that's why I break the rail at the bottom instead of the top.

To be honest, I really hate these rails. Old style webbing and some sort of sliding buckle is way much better, but I can see why manufacturers move to something that looks better.
In reply to PPP:

Cheers that's a good tip I'll give it a go.
 top cat 29 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Check that there isn't an 'IN' section built in at the top or bottom of the rail. ie the rail finishes just a bit short, allowing the clip to be threaded back on.
If the girl in the shop sorted it in seconds that's what she willl have used??

not all sacks have this feature though
In reply to ACollins:
I fixed one this weekend. Usually, there's a bit of the 'rail' that is missing the wire, so it's just a fabric sleeve; use this thin bit as a guide to slip the plastic bit back on to the rail. You might have to slide the wire rail within the sleeve to make this flat bit available.

ah, what top cat said...
Post edited at 12:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...