Welsh 3000s, which route off Snowdon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Laird 28 Apr 2015
Planning to do this next month, and we may decide not to bivi and start at pen-y-pass. I've been looking at routes and there seem to be 2 options:

1. Head down the path to Llanberis, then head off near clogwyn station down cwm glas bach.

2. Go further down nearer to the halfway station along the ridge and drop down off the ridge and aim at the park and ride.

There doesn't seem to be much in the distance, but I'd be interested if you've done either (or both), and what you thought of the route.

Cheers

Rob
 Roadrunner5 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:
I go further down past clogwyn station. Drop off after Llechogg Rib/butress area, there's a stile at the top. There is a faint path which leads you down a cwm and then a rockyish/grassy knoll, drop through a wall (there's a sheep hole), then pick up the path that takes you down to the bridge in Nant Peris. So nearer 2. I used to guide it and that was which we took.

The main options are cwm hetei (I was never a fan of but others were so maybe I just never found the right line) or the cwm further down.

53.096275, -4.090383

If you zoom in on those on google maps you will see the sheep trod you can use to get down, then head down to Nant Peris.
Post edited at 14:09
 elliptic 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:

What roadrunner said. Follow the railway under Llechog then carry on along the ridgeline to the slight crest with a 610m contour on the 1:25000 map (due east of halfway station). Over the stile and drop down the L side of the cwm (faint path) and grassy spur all the way to the walls & sheepfolds at the 200m level. Find your way through/over/round these, turn left and pick up a contouring path along the side of the valley (not shown on the OS) which pops you out onto the footbridge behind the Vaynol Arms.
OP Rob Laird 28 Apr 2015
In reply to elliptic:

Cheers for the replies
 The Potato 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:
yup over the stile off the ridge and zigzag down, once you loose the faintly visible path head straight down and theres a stile crossing the wall then head diagonally down left and youll find the path again quite soon. Its not a pleasant descent but its the most efficient way down and crosses directly to the path up Elidir fawr (oh the joys)
Tip for Elidir fawr is cross the road towards the campsite but follow the road around to the left and up and before you get to the farm turn right along the footpath uphill, that will take you on to another faint path, when this comes to a zigzag, go straight up rather than following it left and youll come to the main path. Follow this up and around and youll come to a small footbridge crossing the river. The path continues up from that, a bit vague in places but you should find it ok, it gets clearer again as you ascend (seemingly forever).
Post edited at 19:47
 Roadrunner5 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Elidir is mentally what kills people.. they've just lost 3000 foot of ascent and have to do the longest climb of the day but its still early on. By PYG they can smell the end so that's not that bad. You also gain height so rapidly quite evidently where as Elidir is just a plod seemingly getting nowhere..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...