Steel frame welding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malk 28 Apr 2015
my old (late 80s) 531 frame has cracked through both sides where the seat stay meets the seat tube.
could this be fixed with a quick mig weld at garage or does it need a bike builder or should i scrap it?
 Mowglee 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

I'd go to a frame builder - not many car or structural welders will have experience of welding such thin tubes. Depending on the crack you might want to get them to put a gusset plate in to strengthen it.
craggyjim 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

Is it the tube or the weld that has cracked? It could probably be repaired, probably better with tig or braze but there might not be much to lose if you are going to scrap the frame if it doesn't work.

If you do want a replacement bike I have an old Dawes Galaxy bike that I'm getting rid of. Also 531.
OP malk 28 Apr 2015
In reply to craggyjim:

stay has cracked just at the bottom of the weld to seat tube so maybe 1cm long 2mm deep.
thanks for the offer but don't think i want another old galaxy. how old is yours?
OP malk 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Mowglee:

thanks. would it be a quick job (ie cheap) at a frame builder?

and can anyone recommend any frame builders in the NE?

dan_dangled 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

Just email any reputable fabrication company, any coded welder should be able to patch up a crack on a pipe. maybe a mate that works in a similar industry or something? don't be scrapping though!
 cmgcmg 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

You wan TIG not MIG for the weld to be any good.
 elsewhere 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:
Back then, 531 was brazed & 753 was silver soldered rather than welded.

Ask a bike builder.
Removed User 28 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

You could drop Joe Waugh a line at http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/services/
It doesn't look like he builds frames anymore but he would probably advise.

I had some welding work done on a frame by Ben at Kinetics Cycles in Glasgow if that isn't too far for you. He is the Bishop of Bath and Wells of framebuilding: he'll do anything to anything
OP malk 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks. msteelcycles suggested Kevin Winter in Ferryhill who says it needs a new seat cap so will prob get a new frame/bike, possibly this..http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/touring-2015-touring-bike-ec072794
Removed User 29 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

I've PM'd you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...