Staying warm in Scotland - which sleeping bag / down jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ogreville 25 Apr 2015
After a couple of rather damp and cold weekend in the north of Scotland recently, I have resigned myself to the fact that a new sleeping bag must be purchased.

"I remember the day a high end sleeping bag/tent/gore tex jacket cost £50.....yada yada" were the thoughts that instantly sprang to mind when I began my research.

Anyhoo, my question is - spend £180 - £220 on a 4 season down sleeping bag (ouch), or split the cash and get a good but comparatively cheaper synthetic bag and double it up with a new Down Jacket in the Rab Summit vein for when it gets cold?

Things to consider
Sleeping bag usage - almost always early spring to late autumn, but in Scotchland mostly
Potential down jacket usage - double up in sleeping bag when cold - belaying (not winter routes) - lunch stops on Winter mountain days

BTW, I'm a lazy ba@t*rd, so tend not to take care of my gear as I should

Thanks
 TobyA 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ogreville:

How cold did it get when you got cold? Not many people talk about 4 season bags anymore as its all a bit vague, but sort of decide how cold its likely to get and buy a bag that will take you down to those temps I guess. ME, Rab and others all have less expensive down ranges now plus you have Alpkit and other (Cumulus is it?) that do down bags that people really rate for value for money - so you might find you can get something for less that your budget.

Down is more expensive but with a bit of care (don't store it wet ever, don't store it compressed) a decent down bag will last decades. Synth bags loose warmth much quicker, or at least those I've tried have done and others report similar.
 Guy Hurst 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ogreville:

Get a decent three-season down bag, but make sure it's got enough room to wear a down jacket inside when it's really cold. Have a look on Amazon at the Kelty SB20 bag, which is a good deal atm.
 PN82 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ogreville:

Here is some UK sleeping bags are that come in different weights, warmth sand prices and should be able to find something that suits.

Also you haven't said what you are using as an insulator from the ground as this can make a huge difference to staying warm.

As for down jackets, there are so many to choose from, I guess it's all down to budget.

From my own personal experience I have accepted I am a naturally cold sleeper so bought a lightweight fleece liner and upgraded my sleeping bag and mat to one that more than exceeds my lower temperature ranges to ensure I sleep well.

http://www.criterion-sleepingbags.co.uk/CriterionSleepingBagsProductRange.h...
 iksander 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ogreville:

A thin XL synthetic sleeping bag (eg ME Starlight Micro XL) over a half decent 3 season down bag works well
 Siward 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ogreville:

I'd get an ME Lightline for my £220 which, with a down jacket, will see you through a cold Scottish winter and yet be light enough for all but high summer use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...