Jacket delaminating after wash

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 24 Apr 2015
Has anyone had this? My girlfriend bought a north face jacket off ebay which was little used but quite old, washed it in tech wash and tx direct and the internal lining has delaminated from the jacket -

tinyurl.com/nzmtg3v
tinyurl.com/kxfzwdc

Like I said the jacket is old but looks barely worn, could it be something the previous owner has done to it i.e. washed it in something silly or left it in the sun?

Thanks

Ben
In reply to Sharp:

Something similar happened to me after I washed my ME Ogre. It appeared mostly on high wear areas (shoulders, hips etc). I called ME, they said it shouldnt affect perfomance...
m0unt41n 24 Apr 2015
In reply to markh554:

What about if the previous owner had washed it using a Biological detergent?
In reply to Sharp:

I have no idea.
But I assume that is the risk of ebay
In reply to Sharp:
That's nothing compared to the virtually complete delamination of my TNF jacket last year during a wash! The laminate ended up in millions of tiny bits that stuck as a speckled mess to anything they were in contact with. It took five cycles of washing with old towels in the washing machine just to get the machine useable again, and some other clothes that were washed before I fully cleaned the machine ended up getting binned as well as the jacket as I just could not get rid of the bits of laminate from them.

When I spoke to TNF they just said that they were not interested to see it as it was too old as far as they were concerned and that all laminates deteriorate over time and much much quicker when "contaminated". They suggested if things like perfume, deodorants, air freshness sprays, and even dampness, etc had got onto or been left on the jacket over the winter this could cause the delamination as experienced.

I had the jacket from new, and thought I had looked after it well, using things like tech wash etc, but no apparently! Mine had been washed and went into the wardrobe clean and dry and looking good, but must somehow have been in contact with something that caused the laminate to breakdown over the winter. I've have no idea what the cause was as I also had other laminated gear in the same room and those were not affected. Maybe it was just age?
 PN82 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

This is extremely common in older laminate jackets even if never worn. You see on outdoor gear exchange on facebook posts or on eBay of people selling Goretex/laminate jackets never worn but a few years old and I personally would always give them a wide berth.

Apart from the fact they have no warranty, the glued seems/mesh linings start to come away as the glues degrade with time.

I have a berghaus goretex xcr jacket from 2002 I use as a spare for friends and the glue has degraded and the seam tape is flaking off it, my old military waterproofs did the same too. All laminate waterproofs will do this and depending on how much sunlight/washing/chemicals/time they have been subjected too, depends on how quick this happens.
OP Sharp 25 Apr 2015
In reply to All:

Thanks for everyones responses. I guess it's just one of those things, the jacket was cheap but it's a shame because it's just what she wanted. I think we'll pick the laminate off and well proofed it will keep the water off. Perhaps it will be more breathable now and make for a poor mans Neo Shell!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...