Black Diamond Z-poles sticking - solutions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 23 Apr 2015
Anyone else had this problem? It's happening where the handle-end section needs to slide over the mid-section to elongate. It also seems harder than before to pull the unit tight in order to make the stopper pop out. Obviously with this design I can't get into the thing to investigate.
 jezb1 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

Mine are so sticky now they need replacing.

I've wrapped tape around in strategic places to get extra grip for freeing them.

Liberal gt85 helps but doesn't solve the issue.
 Mowglee 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:
If seems to be a standard problem with nearly all poles* - aluminium corroding inside the tubes and jamming them up. Not helped by moisture and possible also galvanic action due to the stainless steel fittings. Mine are ok for now but are certainly stiffer than when brand new - I can see the corrosion starting, and a fine white powder comes out when sliding them together.

They should last longer if kept extended when not in use, dry thoroughly, keep in warm dry place and perhaps grease the sliding sections occasionally. Other than that it's a bit of a design flaw unfortunately. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has some tricks to keep them working.

*I have the z-poles, some older BD ski touring poles, and a Leki. The older ones are almost unusable now.
Post edited at 13:15
OP Jamie B 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Mowglee:

I did wonder about using lubricants.. In the past with other poles I think this may have added to the gunge inside the poles.
In reply to Jamie B:

Mine actually siezed inside and couldnt get it out. BD replaced the whole pole for me. I suspect it's because they are getting slightly bent through use.
 AliBaxter 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

I've experienced these issues with the 3 sets I've owned. I dried mine off after most uses (when possible) and used WD40 (definitely helps) but still experienced these problems after a while. Cold temperatures and water definitely make the problem worse (not massively helpful for ski poles?!)

Worth mentioning too I had 2 pairs sent back (and kindly replaced). On both sets the inner (smaller diameter) connecting tube has pulled the whole way out or pushed the whole way into the wider diameter section, preventing connection of the poles. This happened during fairly light use resulting in a floppy useless pole with nothing to prize out the connecting section. Definitely not the most bombproof or long lasting bits of kit, even when looked after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...