Help with choosing footwear for long distance walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Left the forums 15 Apr 2015
Looking for advice about what footwear to use for a long distance walk.

Want to go lightweight but not really that knowledgeable about what solutions there might be. Will need to cope with boggy paths as well as occasional days where route is all on roads. Scottish spring (May) to English summer conditions. Primarily low level.

Staying in hotels/pubs each night so want something comfortable to change into that doesn't look too out of place in fairly luxury hotels but also could be used for occasional days walking if main pair fall apart/get stolen/are soaked through.

Obviously need two pairs 1 main, 1 evening/backup. Also willing to consider taking another pair if weight can be kept low enough and benefits can be justified.

Was thinking about the Inov 8 Recolite 190 as a possible option for the evening/back up option - any thoughts or other options.

No idea on the main option, currently I just throw one of a pair of cheap approach shoes (moving superfeet insoles if required).

Could also do with any advice about insoles and/or gaiters that might work with the footwear.

Andy.

Clauso 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Chris Townsend's thoughts on the matter...

http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2014/01/why-lightweight-footwear.html

I've backpacked the Pennine Way in a light pair of Inov-8s. I was blessed with good weather and the shoes were great, although things may have been a bit unpleasant if I'd have been slooping about in deep mud for any length of time.
Removed User 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Clauso:

+1. 2x pairs lightweight trail running shoes << 1 pair leather boots. Take a pair of sealskinz socks for the bogs?
In reply to Clauso:

Thanks Darren,

Good to know that Inov 8s stand up to a bit of punishment - just need to work out best solution for mud/bog...

Slight highjack of my own tread;

Chris Townsend was a major influence/inspiration of why I walked the similar route 30 yrs ago, I'm not sure if it was through him that I learnt about weight on feet v on back but reading his comments made me realise how ingrained my thoughts about lightweight footwear have become.

This walk has been inspired by a random pick up of a book in Tesco's (Wild by Cheryl Strayed)
In reply to Removed User:

OK with the trail running shoes just not sure about leather boots. Is there not a more modern equivalent that would cope?

FWIW - 30 yrs ago I did the same walk in a pair of very heavy 3/4 length metal shanked boots and one of the shanks broke at some point - I have no intention of repeating the pain/noise - stomp/clank/stomp/clank brings back too many memories... Putting on soaked boots the following morning is also something I'd like to avoid.

So, is there a better solution to traditional leather/gaiters to cope with more boggier sections of the walk
Clauso 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

> So, is there a better solution to traditional leather/gaiters to cope with more boggier sections of the walk

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, SealSkinz socks can work well with trail shoes. I've used them with fell running shoes, and they've been great... Of course, such a combination won't save your trousers from getting covered in shite if that's a concern.
Post edited at 13:58
 summo 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Bogs, it's all down to budget, willingness to suffer and weight. Put you feet in a plastic bag in the shoes, dry the shoes that night, solved with zero extra weight, but not so good for your feet. Especially if it's simply a very short section that you are expecting to encounter at a given point, it would keep the weight down. Gaiters can be annoying, faffy and make your feet/lower legs hot etc.. so it really depends on the ground you are on if there are any advantages.

I have a few different pairs of Inov8 which I use for different types of race, depending on how off road they are. All are excellent, great fits, blister free, tough construction and so forth.
 Cerris90 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

My job requires me to walk for long periods with alot of kit on my back. And the topic comes up alot at work. But for comfort and weight. The boot I now swear by is the alt berg warrior. It's a sturdy boot that is good all over. They dry out quickly too.
In reply to Clauso:

Shite on trousers is is a given and not a concern. Will look into SealSkinz socks, usually use '1000 mile blister free' socks (not sure what the proper name is).

In reply to summo:

Main thoughts about gaiters are is it possible to use something like ankle gaiters with a trail shoe rather than a heavier boot. I've no experience of trying this so just don't know.

Comfort comes first but that has to take into account weight and also an acceptance that suffering is likely to happen at some point. It's about finding the best compromise (I've no idea whether the next 3 to 4 months will be dryer than average or not). Budget is least of my concerns.
 Joel Perkin 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

I know they don't offer much ankle support, but a nice pair of trainers with a goretex liner seems to be most comfortable for me. I find them far more comfortable than boots.

Obviously the goretex liner does wear out, but is very good for the first few months. I personally hate having wet feet so I try and avoid it as much as possible.
Clauso 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Of course, if you really want to join the cool kids...

http://www.outsideonline.com/1963816/tech-will-have-you-hiking-you%E2%80%99...
In reply to Cerris90:

The alt berg warrior seems over kill to me, I'll be carrying a fair bit of weight on many days but not a massive weight. Open to being convinced otherwise though.
In reply to Clauso:

Maybe in another 30 yrs...
 hamsforlegs 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Clauso:
> I've backpacked the Pennine Way in a light pair of Inov-8s. I was blessed with good weather and the shoes were great, although things may have been a bit unpleasant if I'd have been slooping about in deep mud for any length of time.

My other half and I did a few days on the pennine way when very new to offroad running. We used one of the early Inov-8 Mudroc models. It snowed - drifting to head height in places. Miles of bog. We had gone light and got cold, but feet were not an issue (apart from those damn heel cups) and were more than adequate to keep us moving and keep our toes alive. Pretty sure my other half went with the 'sock/sandwich-bag/sock' approach, more for warmth than waterproofing.

To the OP - it depends a lot on preference. If it were me I would, without doubt, take some light fell/trail shoes and a pair of flip-flops. Maybe swap the flips for some rubber plimsoll type trainers if you need to go to smartish restaurants/dining-rooms at any point. But I have never minded having wet feet for a bit after going through a bog - the advantage of light shoes that get soaked is that they also dry out fast. I'm also lucky that I never really seem to get blisters or other foot problems. If you're staying low, then you don't need to worry quite so much about getting serious exposure or getting stuck with freezing feet and no hope of shelter.

If you're someone who tends to suffer with cold feet or get other skin issues, you might need a bit more to work with. Probably upgrading the flip flops to a second pair of light trail shoes or even just running trainers might give you something more 'normal' that can also be used for walking if your feet are fed up with the main pair? My GF likes gore-tex trail shoes as they stay dry in bracken/ferns and wet grass, though obviously not a good choice for full submersion!

Taking heavy boots for this kind of thing just seems like masochism to me, but a lot of people do it and swear by it so there are other ways.

For gaiters (I never bother apart from in Scottish winter), it might be worth looking at the little snow or alpine gaiters you can get. They won't keep you dry in a bog, but will give you a bit more warmth and resistance to water ingress if its just odd splashes.
Post edited at 16:42
In reply to hamsforlegs:

Sounds like gaiters are not worth the hassle - not surprised. Don't mind getting wet feet but day after day it can cause problems
 Ardo 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Got a pair of Mammut Mercury Advanced High II GTX Hiking Boot and I'm very happy with them.
Coupled with a pair of Innov8's or similar, I'll be using them on my next LDW.
In reply to Andy 976853:

Ok, my attempts at decision making are not going well... At this rate I'll be at John O'Groats in a few weeks wearing a battered pair of trainers, jeans and carrying a sack of winalot (for the dog, not me - I've not gone that mad!).

Product suggestions for the following are requested;

1. Lightish weight trail shoes
2. Very light weight 'back up' shoes
3. Very lightweight 'plimsoles' that could pass as footwear in a 'comfortable' hotel
 GrahamD 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Have to say I'm very old skool when it comes to footwear. I can't contemplate no ankle support so trail shoes are out. Light weight boots WHICHEVER FIT BEST for me, well tried out on long day walks before embarking on a long distance multiday walk. I would also use gaiters, mainly to keep bracken and heather out the boots.
 angry pirate 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
I'm still pretty old school on the footwear front and did the Pennine Way a few years back in Scarpa SLs. They were comfy and dependable though if I were to do it again I'd go much lighter next time.
My evening / camp footwear were sport sandals and I'd recommend them wholeheartedly.
I've recently been using Merrell lightweight boots and will probably go down that path (so to speak) in the future.
Post edited at 18:14
 xoran 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Brooks Cascadias are well worth a look for long mile, low weight trail shoes.
A pair of Inov8 trail rocs for your backups? They go as light as the 150...

Other than that, for another spanner, La Sportiva do a pair of crossover runners based on their crosslite shoes, with a gtx insert and a softshell gaiter thing. Could be a solid compromise if you wanted a bit of protection from the wet and grime? The crosslites are a great shoe, so can't imagine that would be any different. Just called the crossover gtx.

Definitely worth trying all of them on though, all three of those shoes have a very different fit, and as your feet get beaten up their shape may well change too...

Hope some of that helps
 AlanLittle 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
I have a pair of Inov-8 F-Lites that are great. Very comfy, weigh nothing, pack down to nothing. I carried a big rucksack up to a hut in the Kaisergebirge in them one day last summer - wouldn't normally but was thinking about minimal weight because the plan was to carry them on a route the next day. Then it rained so we went for a long walk with lots of scrambling instead. To my surprise the shoes were absolutely fine.

No water resistance at all obviously, but personally I'd sooner have wet feet than sweaty blistered feet in waterproof shoes. I find wet feet only bother me when I'm in snow in winter, then I wear big boots and gaiters. Otherwise trainers or approach shoes for everything. I have a pair of goretex socks that I got from a bike shop for when I'm going out in really wet conditions in summer. They work pretty well and are comfortable enough but I don't use them very often.

> 1. Lightish weight trail shoes

Inov-8 Flyroc 310, sized to take a pair of thick socks and some kind of waterproof layer if necessary. Best non-winter mountain footwear I've ever had; am on my third pair.

> 2. Very light weight 'back up' shoes

Inov-8 F-Lite 195 see above.
Post edited at 18:54
 Cerris90 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Even for maybe carrying up to 10kg the ankle support and sturdiness is good. I'm on my second pair an this pair iv had for a year an I wear them daily. The best way to not get your feet wet. Is to not get then wet. Iv done river crossings with these an a pair of gaiters on an my feet were dry.
 hamsforlegs 16 Apr 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> I can't contemplate no ankle support so trail shoes are out.

Yes, I think this is down to what your body is conditioned for. Wearing boots I find my knees get really sore. Having generally used footwear without ankle support I've never had ankle issues with very light footwear, whether hiking multiday in Scotland/Alps/Rockies, running for several days, or doing rough Alpine approaches and scrambles. I don't think there's a correct answer here, but I would be cautious about making a change from the kit I was used to. The Pennine Way is pretty rugged in places, so you don't want to be taking chances if your ankles/knees/feet need a particular kind of support.

As to the issue of feet being wet for days - again lightweight footwear avoids this as your feet repeatedly dry out. The breathability means that even on day after soaking day with lots of bog your feet are dry a surprising amount of the time. But your feet will get wet time and again, and if this causes problems for you it's obviously a bad choice.

Andy 976853 - perhaps think about refining your current system rather than switching to new kinds of kit? What do you normally prefer to hike in? If you're going light then you will almost certainly get your footwear dry each night, so think about whether you really need two pairs of hiking footwear. Something like a Merrell bare access shoe might do you as evening/casual wear and also double up for good trail or road sections on a dry day.

If you're in boots it might be harder to dry them out? Not my expertise so others can advise.

If you want 'smart' plimsolls just look at Asos or Topman or somewhere - they all sell little skinny black pumps for £20 that will do.
 Doghouse 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Crocs weigh next to nothing and are great to carry as an 'evening' shoe and probably smart enough to get away with in a hotel.

Also great for things like river crossings as they don't absorb water and dry in no time.
 malk 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> I've backpacked the Pennine Way in a light pair of Inov-8s.

shoes or boots? i've been looking for a pair of their boots after chris recommended the roclite 370 but I can't seem to find any in my size. i wonder if they've stopped making them?
 Guy Hurst 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

The OP mentions long sections of road walking, and for those I'd go with running shoes with decent under foot cushioning. Trail shoes are great in some ways, but kill my feet when used for long stretches on hard surfaces.
 hamsforlegs 16 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Footwear-OffRoad-Roclite-286-...

Roclite 286 now. Only in Goretext version by the look of things.
 malk 16 Apr 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:
seems very limited availability - can only find small or xl. what would be a similar boot to look for. how about merrell?
Post edited at 14:13
Left the forums 16 Apr 2015
In reply to All:

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Currently considering the following;

- Sportiva Crossover 2.0 GTX
- Inov 8 Flyroc 310
- Inov 8 Recolite 190

Whether I take all 3 to start I'll decide later. Bit worried about going too light weight at first as it isn't unheard of for snow in the far north of Scotland in May, would probably send the Sportivas home and replace with sandals once I get further south.

Feel free to comment or to suggest alternatives/where to buy online (size 11) as finding it a bit hard to work out discontinued lines/out of stock etc.

And yes I know I should of sorted this ages ago... I'll be fine whatever happens, can go back to wearing cheap trainers if needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...