margarine the most dangerous food we eat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 12 Apr 2015
I may be the last person to realise this. margarine is advertised as being healthy and cholesterol reducing. In actual fact most have hydrogenated corn oil within it and these contain trans fats. Trans fats unlike saturated fat that the body knows how to remove are not able to be removed from the body. These build to eventually causing blocks and have been blamed in the USA for the huge increase in heart problems since its introduction.

I find this utterly ridiculous that this is allowed to carry on. I have been brought up thinking butter bad, margarine ok. I might as well been putting donner meat on my toast in the morning!
 deepsoup 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:
> In actual fact most have hydrogenated corn oil within it and these contain trans fats.

It's been a good few years since this actual fact was actually factual. At least in the UK.
(But butter is better, I'll give you that.)
Post edited at 11:04
Moley 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Never eaten the stuff, always reckoned it must be s**t from all the ingredients listed and I never worked out why it was advertised as "better for you", though I had no science to back this up. It has always been butter or nothing for me.
 AdrianC 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

"In actual fact most have hydrogenated corn oil within it and these contain trans fats."

Someone said this to me in about 2010. When I checked around, everything I could find said that trans fats had been removed from margarine in most places other than the US for quite a while by then. It's hard to imagine this situation having reversed so I'm wondering what's the source of your statement and how up to date is it?

Wsdconst 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

This seems to pop up now and then I once asked a bodybuilder about trans fat and he told me fat is fat the body will use it in the same way the only difference is some fats have good things in them too where as trans fats dont.I took this as the truth but don't really know if it is ??
abseil 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Absinthe might be more dangerous [if it's a food].
 Cerris90 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

It used to be used to fatten chickens an turkeys. But they were not gaining weight just dying of cancer.

Also it's one molocule missing or gaining ( like it matters) from being plastic.

Scientists also conducted experiments to see what animals thought of it. Turns out dogs, cats, foxes even bluebottles don't want to go near it.

All in all mag to grid if you have it in your fridge
Lusk 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:
> Scientists also conducted experiments to see what animals thought of it. Turns out dogs, cats, foxes even bluebottles don't want to go near it.

My cat loves Hellmann's mayonnaise!
 aln 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> All in all mag to grid if you have it in your fridge

What does this mean?

Tomtom 12 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:

> What does this mean?

Mag to grid - get rid!

Basic navigation and map reading skills, changing a magnetic bearing to a grid bearing.
OP fmck 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> My cat loves Hellmann's mayonnaise!

How do you know its got trans fat in it? I have to admit I did run to the fridge.
 aln 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Tomtom:

Ah OK. Not a phrase I've heard before.
 Kimono 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

i can't believe i ever ate it, but have now been marge-free for years.
Scientific proof or not, just look at it....it's vile!
 Tall Clare 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

I tend to think of margarine as having a worryingly similar composition/chemical structure to tights.

Also, isn't it true that it requires loads of artificial colouring to change it from its 'natural' colour - grey - to yellow?

Blurgh either way.
 Cerris90 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Iv heard of the colour change thing before but didn't know if it was actually true.
 Timmd 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
That's a funny comparison with tights!

I sometimes think the most harmful things one can do is to be inactive, and to not eat enough greens and fruit, if one can be about as active as most people were up until about the last quarter of the last century, when walking and cycling were the primary means of getting around over shorter distances, for poorer people at least, I don't suppose that can hurt as a way of living in the normal day to day week.

One unexpected bonus of type 1 diabetes is the regular checks on my cholesterol and blood pressure, quite pleased to have decent cholesterol after a year of take away curries and fish and chips being eaten once a week each while I tackled my Diploma, got to lower my blood pressure though, it's at the top of the healthy range, got to get more active than I could be while studying and go back to cooking all the time.
Post edited at 13:58
 MG 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Nice comparison!
 FactorXXX 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

I tend to think of margarine as having a worryingly similar composition/chemical structure to tights.

Does that mean that you prefer butter and silk stockings then?
 Bulls Crack 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Choice was always easy for me: margarine tastes awful :-P
In reply to Cerris90:

> It used to be used to fatten chickens an turkeys. But they were not gaining weight just dying of cancer.

> Also it's one molocule missing or gaining ( like it matters) from being plastic.

> Scientists also conducted experiments to see what animals thought of it. Turns out dogs, cats, foxes even bluebottles don't want to go near it.

> All in all mag to grid if you have it in your fridge

Water is one element short of being formaldehyde, what's your point?
 Jon Stewart 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

I think there's a lot worse stuff out there than margarine. Seems that the margarine-healthier-than-butter myth has been busted by a Cochrane review, but that doesn't make margarine poisonous. The general saturated-fat-equals-bad theory is pretty much dead which is mainly where the marge marketing was coming from but as far as big epidemiological studies showing marge to be horrendous-death-spread, they ain't there either.

In conclusion: butter nicer, and probably better for you.

http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/diet-nutrition/618
 Cerris90 12 Apr 2015
In reply to difference
its man made. And we market something which is potentially harmful to people.
In reply to Cerris90:

There's bottles of deadly liquid on the shelves of every supermarket - dihydrogen monoxide.
ceri 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:
Really the good people of UKC should know that random allegations should be backed up by a reliable source by now. Margarine vs butter is a classic.
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
PS I can personally guarantee you that my digs would happily scoff a tub of margarine given the chance, but then they eat cat shit so that proves nothing...
 Cerris90 12 Apr 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Doesn't mean you drink it. Personally the only thing I put in my body that's pretty bad for me is alcohol.
Obviously everything in moderation.
But bothering to learn what's in something an eating things that are grown in the ground and atleast killed in a decent way is the most sensible way to live.
In reply to Cerris90:

People definitely drink dihydrogen monoxide. if you breathe it in, its almost certain death!
 Neil Williams 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Butter is much nicer and seems to keep longer. As you don't have much of it, that's reason enough to eat proper butter rather than chemical nonsense.

Neil
Moley 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Margerine is to butter, what instant coffee is to fresh ground.

They are just not meant to be.
 felt 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

> I find this utterly ridiculous that this is allowed to carry on.

Ditto "healthy whole grains". The food of desperation more like, from a time when people ate the seeds of grasses when all else was unavailable. GI and inflammatory hell. Still, grains trade well as a commodity, what with their potential for long-term cheap storage and futures and all that, unlike say broccoli.
Rigid Raider 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Presumably margarine is sold by big food corporations because it's more profitable than butter? The basic ingedients for industrial food are vegetable oil, flour, sugar and salt and they are bought and sold around the world by the shipload. I don't touch marge, I only eat butter and I'm a healthy 74 kgs at 1.82m tall.
mgco3 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

I would think eating live alligator is pretty high up on the danger list!
 Philip 12 Apr 2015
In reply to mgco3:

I think the health issues relate to the synthetic hard fat made from veg oil, rather than the emulsifed stuff you get these days.

I love butter, but as it's hard to keep it soft but not rancid we have Yeo Valley butter spread.
In reply to Philip:

It's all about Clover. Salty as butter but easier to spread.
 Timmd 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Presumably margarine is sold by big food corporations because it's more profitable than butter? The basic ingedients for industrial food are vegetable oil, flour, sugar and salt and they are bought and sold around the world by the shipload. I don't touch marge, I only eat butter and I'm a healthy 74 kgs at 1.82m tall.

It always seems to come down to money. It can be a cynical world...
 The Potato 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Spare a thought for those unable to consume butter and have little alternative than dairy free marg
 Timmd 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Philip:

> I think the health issues relate to the synthetic hard fat made from veg oil, rather than the emulsifed stuff you get these days.

> I love butter, but as it's hard to keep it soft but not rancid we have Yeo Valley butter spread.

I don't want to sound like a smarty pants, but keeping it in the fridge so it stays hard, and then taking out to soften a while before eating, and then putting it back again to go cold and hard again seems to work.
 Queenie 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Are you unable to stomach lactofree butter? If so, my commiserations.

Eww, no. If you want spreadable butter, Lurpak Spreadable is the *only* way to go - it tastes exactly the same as the real thing.

Neil

Advice on dihydrogen monoxide - dhmo.org. Did you know that a tiny amount of it can kill?

Neil
 Philip 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I don't want to sound like a smarty pants, but keeping it in the fridge so it stays hard, and then taking out to soften a while before eating, and then putting it back again to go cold and hard again seems to work.

For the odd occasion that it is practical to do that, for example the cheese course when friends stay, but for sandwiches first thing or coming in from the garden for a quick lunch it's easier to have spreadable butter.
 Philip 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Eww, no. If you want spreadable butter, Lurpak Spreadable is the *only* way to go - it tastes exactly the same as the real thing.

> Neil

All the spreadable butters that aren't Organic certified use palm oil to make it spreadable (mostly labelled "veg oil"). This is contributing is not helping the environment in countries where rain forests are being cut down to increase palm oil production. Lurpak do an organic version that is nice, but if you prefer a bit of salt the Yeo Valley is good (and 70% butter).

> Eww, no. If you want spreadable butter, Lurpak Spreadable is the *only* way to go - it tastes exactly the same as the real thing.

> Neil

I respectfully disagree. You are wrong.
 marsbar 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Those scientists didn't meet my dog then.

Obviously he prefers butter ( )but he will eat marg as well.
 marsbar 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Philip:

We just leave our butter out, except in unusually hot weather. We seem to eat it before it goes off.
XXXX 12 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

If there is a smugger thread on ukc I have yet to read it. Well done all.

The New NickB 12 Apr 2015

> People definitely drink dihydrogen monoxide. if you breathe it in, its almost certain death!

I swim in the stuff, but I'm a bad ass!

> Neil

Real what? Not butter obviously.
In reply to The New NickB:

I find Lurpak Spreadable the closest spreadable in taste to actual butter, yes.
 Andy Hardy 12 Apr 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Is lard OK?

> I find Lurpak Spreadable the closest spreadable in taste to actual butter, yes.

The words you used were "exactly the same as the real thing". You now seem to be suggesting something different.
 Kimono 13 Apr 2015

> I find Lurpak Spreadable the closest spreadable in taste to actual butter, yes.

but why? just use real butter, leave it out, it's fine!! Unless there's some sort of freak heatwave going on, i have never had butter go off on me.

ps and leave the cheese out as well...much tastier
 stewieatb 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> Also it's one molocule missing or gaining ( like it matters) from being plastic.

What the hell does that mean exactly? All long-chain fats are a few molecules from being plastics, that's the nature of organic chemistry! Water is one atom away from hydrogen peroxide. Oxygen is one atom away from ozone. Powdered sugar explodes in a mixture with air, as does flour. Chemistry doesn't work like that. Two molecules having superficially similar structure and composition does not dictate a similarity of properties.

This kind of crap smacks of the "chemical free" rubbish we see in advertising - it's bad science, bad rhetoric, and it's f*cking annoying. The rest of your post makes no bloody sense either.
 stewieatb 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> > There's bottles of deadly liquid on the shelves of every supermarket - dihydrogen monoxide.

> Doesn't mean you drink it. Personally the only thing I put in my body that's pretty bad for me is alcohol.

F*ck me, I just nearly died laughing. You're ridiculous.
 Neil Williams 13 Apr 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> The words you used were "exactly the same as the real thing". You now seem to be suggesting something different.

It's near enough that I don't notice any difference, whereas all the other spreadables I've tried have a different, slightly margariney, taste.

Neil
 MG 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Philip:

Why do you put it in the fridge at all?
 MG 13 Apr 2015

I am going to make my millions by selling premixed butter and Marmite spreadable spread.
OP fmck 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Philip:

Yes the fridge now has a tub of Lurpak in it which I didn't realise was butter at first. To be honest I don't eat bread anymore (Apart from the odd Warburton slims as a cheese toasty) so not a problem for myself. I have been feeding my kids toast and margarine with Nutella for years that did worry me.

I once shared a bothy with a guy who had done lots of research into food additives not natural that could be related to the increase in various medical conditions. He did sound very convincing although depressing at the same time. Basically his take was if its not natural then the body doesn't recognise it and its bound to create problems.
 The Potato 13 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

To link to my other thread - define natural...
 Sir Chasm 13 Apr 2015
In reply to MG:

Buttmite? Sounds lovely.
 winhill 13 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

> I may be the last person to realise this. margarine is advertised as being healthy and cholesterol reducing. In actual fact most have hydrogenated corn oil within it and these contain trans fats. Trans fats unlike saturated fat that the body knows how to remove are not able to be removed from the body. These build to eventually causing blocks and have been blamed in the USA for the huge increase in heart problems since its introduction.

> I find this utterly ridiculous that this is allowed to carry on. I have been brought up thinking butter bad, margarine ok. I might as well been putting donner meat on my toast in the morning!

The trans fat in marg comes from the hydrogenated fats, most UK marg now avoids these so in fact butter can have 30-40 times the amount of trans fat as margarine (butter is 3-4% trans fat).

So if you're trying to avoid trans fat you seem to have that the wrong way around.
 Morgan Woods 13 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

What are your thoughts on I can't believe it's not butter?
 Neil Williams 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I can believe it's not butter. It's vile.
abseil 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Buttmite? Sounds lovely.

Better than Marmutter.
abseil 13 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

> I may be the last person to realise this. margarine is advertised as being healthy...

It's all Chris Bonington's fault.
OP fmck 13 Apr 2015
In reply to winhill:
Winhill

Your right which is why we have lurpak in the fridge now. Its a shock to know just how many everyday foods stuffs actually contain trans fats. These can be any various fried foods, burgers, hot dog, biscuits and Haagen daz ice cream. Surprisingly cracker types like Ritz and even coffee mate contains trans fat.

Post edited at 11:12
Lusk 13 Apr 2015
In reply to abseil:

> Better than Marmutter.

That's something like a spreadable German mother!
 Shani 13 Apr 2015
In reply to winhill:

> (In reply to fmck)
>
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> The trans fat in marg comes from the hydrogenated fats, most UK marg now avoids these so in fact butter can have 30-40 times the amount of trans fat as margarine (butter is 3-4% trans fat).
>
> So if you're trying to avoid trans fat you seem to have that the wrong way around.

We need to be careful demonizing a whole food group. The 'Cholesterol is bad' debate has been increasingly refined over time as we've learned more (we now see HDL, LDL and LDL sub-types A and B, amongst others).

The 'Fat is bad' notions of the 1970 has gone the same way - it is way more complex, and the same applies to carbohydrate.

In each of these cases there is further to go in terms of knowledge.

With regard to trans fat, there is a natural trans fat called vaccenic acid (found in beef and dairy products) which looks to be beneficial - so I'd be relaxed about such a fat compared to its industrial analogue.

One thing that has struck me nearly a decade go is, "In what form of humans store fat?" The fat profile is, as far as I can tell, largely saturated. So this then raises the question, why would we have evolved to store fat in a form supposedly toxic to us? That thought put be back on to animal and dairy fat.
Post edited at 12:27

> It's near enough that I don't notice any difference, whereas all the other spreadables I've tried have a different, slightly margariney, taste.

> Neil

I think he had a different 'real thing' in mind.
abseil 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> That's something like a spreadable German mother!

Oh no what have I done.......!
 deepsoup 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:
> That's something like a spreadable German mother!

You're on the wrong website for that, but don't worry. Num Num will be along in a minute to recommend something.
 Baron Weasel 14 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

We had margarine in our house as a kid, one day my mum bought some 'best butter'. I have never eaten margarine since.

Have you tried making butter? It's really easy and the results are lovely!

Recipe:

500ml Double cream
<5g Salt

Process:

1)Let cream come to room temperature.
2)Beat it with a whisk until it splits. Warm cream makes this bit quick!
3)Drink buttermilk. Yum yum.
4)Move the remaining fat i.e. the butter to a bowl of water which should be just warm enough that it is soft, but not melting. Get your hands in and massage the fat which will wash out more of the buttermilk, turning the water milky. Rinse and repeat this process until the water remains clear - you have now removed most of the buttermilk which will improve the shelf life of your butter.
5)Stir in up to 5g of salt if you want. This improves the shelf life further.

To make the best Ghee ever:

Start from 4) above and simmer gently in pan. A scum will form on top which needs to be skimmed and a protein layer will form a sediment at the bottom which you need to avoid burning (transfer to a clean pan the moment you notice any sign of it burning). The clear oil you will have after about 30-40min is Ghee! This will keep for a long time - even at room temperature and your curries will rise to a new level...
Lusk 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> ................ and your curries will rise to a new level...

I like the sound of that!
Never tried ghee before, should go well with my Naga Ghosts.
 The Potato 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Off topic but ever tried smoked piquin chillies?

Store bought ghee is much easier and is fairly cheap, has a hard crumbly consistency when cold and a slightly cheesy buttery taste
 Baron Weasel 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Sounds tasty. Use plenty Ghee and then some more with hot chilli's like those mate... And don't touch your male chicken or your cat!

Lusk 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

> Off topic but ever tried smoked piquin chillies?

> Store bought ghee is much easier and is fairly cheap, has a hard crumbly consistency when cold and a slightly cheesy buttery taste

I haven't. I've got some chipotle morita smoked chillis, nice, but could do with being more smokey for me.
I get my chillies from Chilli Pepper Pete at the moment.
Lusk 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I've run out of shreddies and caught it in the zip the other day ........
Rigid Raider 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:
On butter... there's only one: Président. Spread thickly on cold seed toast then topped with a thick layer of proper, thick-cut marmalade. Heaven.
Post edited at 08:56
In reply to fmck:

"Two margarines on the go, its a nightmare scenario." John Shuttleworth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...