photography course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 09 Apr 2015
Hi all, I bought myself a Canon 60D and few months ago for getting wildlife photos on a several month work trip to the Falklands.

I was generally really pleased with the camera and the results, but have mostly been using the auto settings. I'd really like to learn how to use it properly and am considering doing a one day course.

Would people recommend a one day course for learning to use the manual settings? There seems to be quite a few up here in Aberdeenshire, and they vary a bit in price. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Mike
OP MikeR 09 Apr 2015
In reply to MikeR:

Bump, has anyone done one of these types of courses? Any thoughts?
 mudmonkey 09 Apr 2015
In reply to MikeR:

I've been on a couple of Going Digital courses, not sure if they are franchised up your way though. Both pretty good and sensible prices. Can easily find all the content in magazines/books/on internet if you have time and motivation for free/a lot cheaper but if you have the spare cash then they are certainly a useful supplement to self learning.
OP MikeR 10 Apr 2015
In reply to mudmonkey5:

Thanks. I've got a couple of quite detailed instruction books which probably cover it all, but I find I learn a lot better with a bit of actual tuition.

Looks like Going Digital have a course in Aberdeen in just over a weeks time, although just after a night shift. I'll look into it.

Cheers.
 mudmonkey 10 Apr 2015
In reply to MikeR:

You should also maybe look into photography clubs which can also offer practical sessions and evening courses - again much cheaper options. Would do more of this myself but away offshore and off skiing too often to have any continuity!
OP MikeR 10 Apr 2015
In reply to mudmonkey5:

Good idea, although like yourself I struggle with anything that requires regularity on a weekly basis due to working random shifts. Worth a look though.
 Rourke 10 Apr 2015
In reply to MikeR:

I was recommended this book for a good grounding in basics, I thought was very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0...
OP MikeR 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Rourke:

Thanks for the recommendation, sounds like a helpful book from the reviews.
 olihayes 10 Apr 2015
In reply to MikeR:

My wife got me this course as a birthday present:

http://goingdigital.co.uk/photography-workshops/beginners-photography-cours...

It was excellent and i'd recommend it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...