Scrambles in South Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone point me in the direction of any scrambles in South wales, I am thinking of black mountains, brecon beacons etc.

I think if there was anything like Striding edge, or crib Goch I would have heard of it, but are there any decent scrambles in this area?
 UKC Forums 08 Apr 2015
This thread was started in the LOCAL AREAS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 mountainbagger 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Adderbury Climber:

Most things in the hills/high up appeared too loose to be any fun, but I have to admit to only glancing at a distance whilst out walking (Brecon Beacons, not Black Mountains) at various possibilities and being too lazy to get up close (when I half suspected it would be a waste of time).

I wonder if some lower level waterfalls/streams - i.e. ghyll scrambling/canyoning might yield more possibilities in those areas?
 Welsh Kate 08 Apr 2015

er... in a word, no.
There's a steep track / grassy scramble up from Cwm Sere to the bwlch between Pen y Fan and Cribyn, and the traverse path along the N. face of Cribyn at about the 650m contour - but the National Park have just warned that part of that will probably fall into the cwm very soon. That's more or less it. And Striding Edge or Crib Goch it ain't!
In reply to mountainbagger:

Hi

I have looked a few things and found them very loose and as you say everything else I see from a distance appears the same.

Wet ghylls I have to say don't do it for me.

Liked your profile. Our ticklists bear a remarkable similarity.
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hi

I have taken that traverse path along the N face of Cribyn (many years ago when in a hurry), and it didn't feel very stable then. Not surprised it is expected to fall. I'll take at look at the path from cwm Sere you mention, thanks. You say it is a grassy scramble, and that is problem, what we don't seem to have are any rocky scrambles.

I do climb (low grades) when I can get a partner, but am just as happy scrambling nowadays. Just had a few days enjoyable days in the lake district and scotland, which prompted me to ask the question. Only recently moved back to the area and was hoping there was something I had missed.
mysterion 09 Apr 2015

The closest it gets is the Diving Board on Fan y Big, a 4 foot Crib Goch.

mountainbagger 10 Apr 2015

> Wet ghylls I have to say don't do it for me.

Me neither to be honest, as you probably saw on my profile

> Liked your profile. Our ticklists bear a remarkable similarity.

Yes, sadly I haven't been able to tick much off last couple of years or so - just had two children, but they will soon be up to a bit of camping/walking in the hills I think...maybe some scrambling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...