Advice for trip to Brenta / Adamello area Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Barnes 03 Apr 2015
Hi
I am planning a trip to the Brenta / Adamello area of Italy with my family to do some mountain walking and maybe some easy VF's if the girls take to it.
Does anyone have any experience of this area they could pass on to me - particularly best place to stay, accommodation (not camping). We have previously had a successful trip to the Mello valley and I was looking for something similar here. May have a night in a hut also. I plan to go end of July to early August.

Any advice or help much appreciated.
 Casa Alfredino 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Rick Barnes: Look up Erstwhile on here, he's the expert here on that area... Would love to help you, but we're based in the main dolomites, and I'm afraid for one reason or another i've always missed out the Adamello on my travels...

Cheers,
Mike
 Casa Alfredino 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Rick Barnes: Here you go, this is the chap http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/profile.php?id=33258
 easyandfree 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Rick Barnes:

Hi Rick have done 3 summer visits here, two to Adamello area and one to Brenta. I like the area, particularly the Adamello park. Have used a Central Italian Alps walking guide by Gillian Price for some background and though it is a little dated the detail was good for hut to hut tours in Adamello park. My favourite hut was Rifugio Mandrone for hospitality and food and the Val Genova approach the most scenic. The local tourist offices in Maddonna were helpful. Hope this helps haven't really used any valley bases to stay just huts and camping.
 Null 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Rick Barnes:

People often ask me about accommodation but really I don’t have much of a clue, apart from very near my home where my friends have stayed, but that’s a bit off target for you. I’m at the very top of the Arco valley (strictly speaking the Sarca Valley) near the city of Trento.

In general Val Rendenna is where most people would go: Madonna di Campiglio is sort of OK but certainly not the nicest place in the area (a typical modern ski resort). Further south in the same valley is a bit more quaint. The parallel valley on the other side of the Brenta is much less developed and more rustic (I actually know folk who offer accommodation and optional guiding in Molveno), but then you miss out on the rather unique strategic positioning of being between the Granite Adamello and the Brenta Dolomites.
Don’t go to Passo Tonale (towards the north-west), except maybe just to take the lift - it’s ghastly.

The Adamello mountains are great for walking and easy glacier peak bagging, although the height differences are always big and without cable cars (with the exception of Passo Tonale). Needless to say you hardly see a soul up there (except maybe end of July beginning of August) which is what makes it so special. A very beautiful area. (In winter there is great icefall climbing and ski mountaineering).

Everybody and his dog goes down Val di Genova (in July and August) because it is like a mini version of Yosemite. The smaller parallel valleys to the south are spectacular as well (Borzago and San Valentino) and are worth considering as alternatives. If you fancy granite bouldering in Alpine meadows and forests you could consider Val Daone further south (an ice climbing mecca in winter).

No idea how big your girls are but if you want to take them on a first glacier expedition then Adamello is a great place since the glaciers are very safe, although obviously in relative terms. Access is mostly from Val di Genova but not impossible from other directions - in all cases at least a night in a hut will be necessary.
If you fancy a long peaceful rambling Alpine valley walk away from roads and people drive to the end of the road in Val Daone and then walk up to the Rifugio Fumo (the valley becomes Val di Fumo at some point). Needless to say, there is infinite, slightly less peaceful, rambling around all the places you are likely to stay.

Now (assuming you are in Val Rendenna), spin round on your heel and you are looking at the Brenta Dolomites. The Brenta is one of the wildest Dolomite areas thanks to the natural park. There are uplift facilities in Madonna di Campiglio and in Molveno (much less useful though). Obviously you can also walk up on excellent paths, but it’s not a stroll. While the famous eastern Dolomite peaks are typically near the road (or cable car served) in the Brenta most of the time you have to walk more. (The beautiful southern valley, Val Ambiez, has a Land Rover taxi service at about ten euro a head each way tel: 333 5909327).

For “easy” ferratas you have the SOSAT ferrata which you can access from the Madonna cable car. It is a longish traverse to get there and doable in a day although you might like to stay up.
The Bocchette Centrali is easy and very spectacular, but likely to be busy and probably requires a hut night.
From Val Ambiez the Brentei Ferrata starting from the Agostini hut is pretty easy as well although you are getting into a real high mountain context with mini glaciers. When I take groups of kids there I carry an ice axe (I mean just me) to chop away any bad sections of ice (and use a safety rope obviously). I have needed the axe a couple of times over the years, but we have never carried crampons.

One of the very best things about our local area is that you have a “Get out of the Alps Free” card for bad weather. This is the Sarca Valley (known just as “Arco" to most Brits) where you can enjoy a climate and weather resembling that of the Mediterranean coast about an hour’s drive from your Alpine basecamp. The Sarca Valley on its own has enough to keep most people going for a lifetime, with particularly nice short (and long !) easy access via ferratas.

I hope that is some help.
You can ask any specific questions as they arise.
Don’t buy Kompass maps - the Tobacco maps are much better and nowadays there are various other new options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...