Google Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 03 Apr 2015
I've entered a route into Google Maps but the only option it has delivered is not the most direct route and involves a ten mile "diversion" I know from making local enquiries that there is a simpler more direct route. Anyone know why this doesn't show up on GM?
 The Lemming 03 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Local knowledge?

However Google maps does quite well and is considerably better than me once I leave my local area.
 profitofdoom 03 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Have you tried AA route finder, I think they're good.
OP mypyrex 03 Apr 2015
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Have you tried AA route finder, I think they're good.

Gave the same devious route
 TobyA 03 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Why don't you link the map here? There may well be road works or something like that, that locals would be able to explain. Or just go the way you know is better?
 ebygomm 03 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Toll road?
 malky_c 03 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Takes you on the main roads? All of these systems have a hierarchy as far as I can tell. If a route can be done mainly on motorways, that is what it will give you, if not, it will try trunk A roads, then normal A roads etc.

Only 2 options are given from Inverness to Dundee: via the A9 and A90 (trunk roads) or via A roads through Tomintoul and Deeside (completely different route, and shorter but slower). Taking the first route, but shortcutting via smaller A roads through Coupar Angus isn't given, even though it cuts off 10 miles and is possibly the quickest of the three.

If you want the AA route planner to take a particular route, then you need to add a 3rd (and possibly 4th) destination to go via. I don't know if you can do the same in Google. If you know the shortcut, then does it matter if it doesn't come up in Google Maps? If you don't, then either you can have the enjoyment of working it out for yourself or just trust Google Maps to take you the most logical way using the fastest roads.
Post edited at 21:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...