Luibeilt bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 01 Apr 2015
I'm heading out with a group tomorrow who are planning to stay at the Luibeilt bothy on Friday night. I've never been, and there are 2 buildings on the south of the river, and one on the north called Meannanach. Which of these is the bothy? How crossable is the river at this point? (my guess is not crossable!)
Thanks
 Lucy Wallace 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hiya,
Meannanach is the bothy. The buildings on the other side are an old lodge and outbuildings. You can shelter in one of the old barns on the south side but it is minging. The lodge itself, the roof has fallen in. I've crossed the river in dry conditions a number of times in summer and its always a wet foot (crocs) crossing. I'd not fancy it at the moment. In all likelihood the stepping stones at Staoineag are out as well. Not sure about the upstream crossing at Tom an Eite as never needed it, but perhaps others will know?
Lucy
Removed User 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Check out the MBAs website for bothy locations. That river can be formidable. As with many water courses in the west they can rise and fall quickly.
OP girlymonkey 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

Great, thanks. No point in taking coal then!!

Anyone else know what it's like crossing the river at Tom and Eite if we stuck on the north side of the river to go to Meannanach?
 Mr Trebus 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi,

Of the 2 bbuildings, one is a ruin made worse by folk stripping it for firewood and the other a shed. The bothy is the Meannanach.

It has been a while since I stayed there, but the stairs had been ripped out and it was pretty manky. We gave it a bit of a clean before we left.

The river is wide and runs quite fast, so I would be careful. What side are you approaching from?
 Mr Trebus 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Great, thanks. No point in taking coal then!!

> Anyone else know what it's like crossing the river at Tom and Eite if we stuck on the north side of the river to go to Meannanach?

All can be difficult to cross, but at a push the boat shed at Loch Eilde is often open. It would not be a very comfortable night though.
 jonathandavey 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Some friends of mine stayed at this bothy last weekend, involving a river crossing on both the walk in and walk out. It was a little above knee height both times, so take care, a slip would be very unpleasant.
 kwoods 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've crossed the river after a 14 hour day, rained all day, got there at midnight, midges gathering in the manky hut beside Luibeilt........

Anyhoo was doubtful about the crossing, but the river calms down a bit 50m downstream from Luibeilt. In up to my waist but the water there wasn't especially turbulent, just wide and deep, and felt safe enough for the most part.
 Jim Braid 01 Apr 2015
In reply to girlymonkey: When I was there a number of years ago (September time) the river was definitely not crossable. I camped on the S side of the river and it was no more fordable in the morning. Walked up river to Tom an Eite. The area round there was some of the boggiest I've ever encountered. Eventually waded over and was glad to get to higher, drier ground going up and over Stob Ban. Wouldn't have wanted to use the buildings on the S side for an overnight stay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...