Rohan Clothing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 31 Mar 2015
Never see Rohan mention on these fora, except for the nostalgia for the circa 1980 salopettes.

Why is that?
 Indy 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:
Its (expensive) shite?
Post edited at 18:35
 Chris_Mellor 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:
Dunno. I wear a lot of Rohan generally and padded jacket, t-shirts and warm top. It works for me.

Chris_Mellor 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:
Dunno. I wear a lot of Rohan generally and padded jacket, t-shirts and warm top for climbing. It works for me.

BnB 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:

It's a brand that has gone to sleep, declining slowly with the passing of its septuagenarian loyalty base (ie my mum and her ilk).

There's a Rohan shop in my town (Hebden Bridge) but their stock is uninspiring and poor value for money. Seems busy enough, but with day trippers, not hikers and certainly not climbers.
 iksander 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:

> Never see Rohan mention on these fora, except for the nostalgia for the circa 1980 salopettes.

> Why is that?

They don't sponsor climbers or advertise much? Bit like Berghaus - some stuff has cred, some is dogging gear. Their marketing seems to be pitched at the Edinburgh Mills crowd, or at least those who have/had aspirations of being a foreign correspondent.
Dorq 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Because the people who wore/wear it are in Tuscany enjoying artisan fare or in a care home? Because as soon as you walk in the door the staff jump on you like they've been over-trained? Because of the creepy way they ask for your postcode? Because they turned down the Spice Girls? Because it's squarer than Paramo? Because Soft-Roaders?

Just kidding. Some of the stuff they do is really good, almost 'cutting edge', if a bit heavy and pedestrian and beige. The problem is, for me, I can't be arsed finding out for myself.

I think they are a bit 'trapped' in their own niche. For example, if they started doing brighter colours it might put off their loyal customers.
In reply to Fredt:

I think it's a different niche market. They seem to have gone for the 'leisure travel' market, rather than the 'outdoor market'.

Some of their stuff is interesting. But, as noted above, very expensive.
 Dave the Rave 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:
Super strider breeches of the 80's are the best leg wear around.
In reply to Dorq:
> Because as soon as you walk in the door the staff jump on you like they've been over-trained?

Well, their training didn't explain to them about fill powers of down, or why microbaffles are used on lighter weight down jackets. I asked a question about the FP (they couldn't answer, or find the answer), and ended up giving them a lesson in their gear...

Still, I got a free mince pie and a cup of coffee...
Post edited at 19:05
Graeme G 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Fredt:

They've gone for the leisure travel market and do it very well. I don't agree with others on here that it's overly expensive, their stuff is comparable in price with premier brand gear like North Face. They also do top brand travel luggage (like Tiso) like Eagle Creek. Might be pricey but given the lifetime guarantee worth the money.

Maybe i'm positive about their gear as I'm approaching that age.......
nikkormat 31 Mar 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
I worked in one of their shops for a day, zero hours contract. Everything was sell sell sell. Not a nice place to work. I went back to gardening for less than minimum wage.

The kit looked good quality and sometimes well designed, but cut for fat people.
Post edited at 19:38
 Pbob 31 Mar 2015
In reply to nikkormat:

Speaking as one who has consumed all of the proverbial pastry products, it interesting to find out that there is a brand for me.
 cousin nick 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Their designs are very hit and miss. Bags seem to have stood the test of time, but with an arse pocket that leaves stuff halfway down yer quads!. Material and construction across the range is usually excellent, but with wacky ideas. That said SWMBO has a pair of Striders Troos and a pair of Super Striders (the modern troos, not the 1980's breeks) and she loves 'em. Tis very pricey stuff mind!

N
 mcdweeb 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Fredt:

They have started to cater for dog walkers rather than mountaineers...and whisper it, they really when went down hill when they introduced a women's range...I'll get my coat!
In reply to Fredt:
> Never see Rohan mention on these fora, except for the nostalgia for the circa 1980 salopettes.

Yep I also had the first Rohan salopettes in the late 70's/early 80's . I think they were quite unique at the time and were very hard wearing.

Ridge 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong

> Maybe i'm positive about their gear as I'm approaching that age.......

Same here

I've had a pair of the barricade waterproof trousers for about 3 years. Very tough material, actually waterproof, don't feel clammy and can be worn all day. Pretty much ideal for intermittent rain, which is pretty much everyday. Can't fault them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...