Best west facing crags - winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Haydock 31 Mar 2015
Hoping to grab a couple of days up North from tomorrow but, due to the weather lately and the strong westerlies, which, other than Aonach Mor are the best areas for low to mid grade winter routes guys ?
Haven't really explored western facing crags other than trying to find Golden Oldie in mist and completely missed it
Thanks guys.
JH.
 arose 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

West face of Aonach Mor is probably the best for Lochaber though if the freezing level is low the west face of Aonach dubh is ok (pinnacle face being the best route). Summit buttress on SCNL faces somewhat west. The West face of tower ridge can be a good option.
 Webster 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

lurchers crag if in the cairngorms
 KA 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Although (obviously) not west facing, the East Ridge of Beinn a'Chaorainn and the East Ridge of the North Buttress of Stob Ban are worth a look when strong westerlies are blowing.
 CurlyStevo 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

On the current forecast the mess of pottage can be a reasonable bet - it faces NWish.
OP Jim Haydock 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Thanks for your help guys.
Went for Golden Oldy today in quite difficult conditions.
Very soft fresh,deep snow on the plod in and lots of fresh stuff on the route.
Better day forecast tomorrow 😄
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

West face of Aonach Beag or west face of Druim Shionnach.
 BnB 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

What's Druim Shionnach like Jamie? Have you done much there?

Adele Pennington and I almost stopped over there en route to Skye in January but she was put off by suggestions from a climbing acquaintance that it was "adventurous" (which I took to mean no gear!!). Quite fancy a go with it being a short walk-in (with an uplift) only an hour from home.
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2015
In reply to BnB:

I have to confess I've never climbed there, but having visited the adjacent Creag Coire an T-Slugain a couple of times I'd imagine the climbing to be similar - slabby, turfy and yes, a bit challenging for gear.
 BnB 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

Well that'll help keep the weight down on the rack then I suppose

Depending on conditions I might pop up there with my son next week and have a sniff around.
 Simon Caldwell 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

> West face of Aonach Beag or west face of Druim Shionnach.

I was hoping to do the NE ridge of Aonach Beag over the next few days. I'm guessing that getting ton the start is likely to be dangerous and/or slow at the moment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...