insulated gaiters for high altitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
screeweasel 29 Mar 2015
hi folks. i'm going to high altitude using lasportiva spectre boots and don't think they will be warm enough for my rubbish circulation.

anyone have any advice/recommendations for insulated gaiters, or am i best hacking some yeti's to suit my pin bindings?

thanks folks.
andy
 Kahti 30 Mar 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

https://www.40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=12

Seems to be the standard across the pond.
the optimist 30 Mar 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

hi
I have some mountain hardware over gaiters that I got for Amadablam for the same reasons - never used them - they are brand new apart from being tried on - cant rememeber the model but they go over the whole boot and have insulation in them - the crampons then fit over the gaiter

they fitted my size 10 boots

don't have pics with me but would be looking for £50 + postage - if you are interested

cheers

phill
 JR 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Kahti:

I've used them ski touring in Iran in winter. Work very well.
screeweasel 30 Mar 2015
In reply to the optimist:

hi Phil,

i'd be interested in them - i was on ama dablam last year as it was really warm - never needed my warm kit. can you find them on the web, or have some pics? i have AT dynamite bindings which may present a problem.

cheers
andy
the optimist 31 Mar 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

hi andy

these are the ones

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/absolute-zero-overboot/

as mentioned - brand new never used on the hill would need to check & confirm the size - will try and do this tonight - but am flying out to the states first thing tomorrow morning for 3 weeks - so wouldn't be able to post until after the 20th if you are still interested - although I didn't use them in anger - walked round the house!! with crampons fitted - with the large front plastic bail and straps - didn't have any issues with them coming loose or anything
phill
screeweasel 02 Apr 2015
In reply to the optimist:

Hi Phill,

Thanks for the link - just had a read and they suggest not suitable for extreme cold, my guide said to plan for -40.....

so, regrettably, i'll have to pass and look at the 40 below or outdoor research ones suggested in your very useful link!

Many thanks.
Andy
 wi11 03 Apr 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

Hi Andy,

I have some 40 Below Purple Haze overgaiters that are surplus to requirement now, email me if you are interested

Cheers

Will
screeweasel 03 Apr 2015
In reply to wi11:

Hi Will, thanks for the reply. I am a size 28.5 ski boots (about 45 i think). are they in good order?

I'm in York are you local by any chance?

regards
Andy
 wi11 03 Apr 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

Replied by email
nickhelm2013 08 Apr 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

I have a pair of La Sportiva Spantiks for sale, uk 11.5, perfect condition if you want to do change approach and want something warm and high altitude. See Premier Posts.

thanks
screeweasel 12 Apr 2015
In reply to nickhelm2013:

@nickhelm2013 Thanks mate, i have a pair of those already, great boots! i need them for ski mountaineering boots, it's minus 60 windchill this week, and i really want to keep my toes!
 TobyA 12 Apr 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

> it's minus 60 windchill this week, and i really want to keep my toes!

Windchill will make no difference to your feet unless you are trying to go barefoot!
In reply to screeweasel:

Hi Andy,
Your problem will be with the boots themselves. Modern lightweight boots are designed for the mass market which means that they achieve their lightness at the expense of insulation. That's no longer a problem for the mass market because the alps in spring are no longer anything like as cold as they used to be. For high altitude, arctic or antarctic skiing these boots are just not warm enough. I've been on ski expeditions to Denali, Mt. Logan & Mustagh Ata with no problems using the legendary Scarpa Lazers, latterly with intuition liners (the old thick type), but you'll be lucky to find any in the shops. I took Scarpa Rush boots to Greenland and my feet froze so I scoured the internet for the last pair of Lazers in Europe I'd guess from the difficulty I had finding them.
One way of overcoming this problem is to get hold of a pair of boots a size or two larger and pack them with extra insulation even if it's only several pairs of socks and a foam footbed.
Overboots like the 40 below work better with Fritschi than pin bindings as you'll have to cut holes for the pins & the snow will get into them. Fritschi bindings just compress the neoprene as long as you've adjusted the height of the toe-piece. Yeti insulated gaiters which can engage with the dynafit pins with a bit of care are a better bet but often hard to get hold of in sizes that will fit ski boots - XL!

Good luck!
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...