Salomon Snowcross... ideas for trousers/tights, plus crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Houghton 28 Mar 2015
Hello everyone,

I just got a pair of Salomon Snowcross, not really the right time of year for them but there's still quite a bit of snow on the trails here in Chamonix, and most importantly they were reduced by 40 quid.

Very happy with them so far, but it's about time I retired my cheap, stinking, torn-and-shredded Quechua running tights and got something new. Can anyone recommend a pair of trousers or tights (ideally tights, I like showing off my buttocks) that they've found work well with the Snowcross built-in gaiter?

Whilst I'm here, I might as well ask as well - has anyone tried doing anything steeper in their Snowcross, maybe with some lightweight crampons added? I'm padding around on the sitting room carpet in my Snowcross and a pair of aluminium Grivels, I reckon they could work quite well together...

Many thanks, all.
 yorkshireman 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Pete Houghton:
Where did you get them from at that price? I've been toying with getting a pair for a couple of years (I'm in the southern Vercors at 1200m, so get a good 3-4 months of snow although its mostly gone at valley level now).

I'd like to try a pair but haven't found a stockist (although I believe the fit is the same as the Speedcross).

Anyway, I've muddled through yet again this winter in my YakTrax Run.

Oh, and for tights, I swear by the Kalenji ones in Decathlon - I've got several pairs and have ran in them in -20C this year with no problems. I can't vouch for compatibility with the Snowcross gaiters though.

http://www.decathlon.fr/collant-running-elioplay-id_8312442.html

I just bought a pair of Skins A400 full length tights more for recovery but they look like they would be good for running in when legs are a bit battered. They seem to have a bit of a sale on now but even so they're still a bit pricey.
Post edited at 11:12
OP Pete Houghton 28 Mar 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:
Ravanel in the Alpina building in Chamonix, they usually have a little cart outside with oddbins shoes, boots, and ski boots in it. It's a good idea to keep an eye open whenever you walk past it (should you ever find yourself in Chamonix), I've had several good deals from there in the past.

The Snowcross are a nice shoe so far, I've only had them out on a few shorter runs but they've done well on snow, rock, gravel, forest, mud, everything. They are a bit noisy as the spikes clatter on tarmac and pavement, but I don't think it's actually hurting the shoe at all.

Thanks for the tights recommendations, I'll give them a look!
Post edited at 14:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...