Ice climbing: top roping locations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Utayah 27 Mar 2015
Hi,
I'd like to come visit Scotland for some I've climbing, but all I've done and familiar with is top roping. Are there any locations designed for top roping ice in Scotland that do not require a guide? Thank you for your help.
Erin
 PPP 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Utayah:

Well, in worst case, there's indoor ice climbing in Kinlochleven and Braehead (just outside Glasgow). They rent all the gear you might need as well.
 Stu McInnes 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Utayah:

There is nowhere 'designed' for top rope ice climbing, unless you go indoors as already mentioned.

To get to the areas where you might be able to set up the rope from above without leading the pitch, well pick up a guidebook and go from there. But getting into these places will require some pretty sound judgement and mountain skills...
 Tricadam 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Utayah:

Hi Erin,

There's nowhere in Scotland *designed* for the purpose. Not really the local style. That isn't to say you couldn't figure out a way to do it in a few locations on the proviso you stood aside to let other climbers through, were some to show up. You'd need to be familiar with setting up good quality rock anchors as, with rare exceptions, Scottish climbs aren't bolted. Also it would be a faff unless you were comfortable abseiling. And Scottish roadside ice is a rare thing, particularly this late in the season. Virtually all the good stuff involves a good bit of mountaineering getting there and back.

So overall, if you want the legendarily unpredictable (and therefore wonderful!) experience that is Scottish ice, it sounds as though your best bet would be to hire a local guide to take you up a couple of great routes. At this stage in the season, Ben Nevis is the most reliable venue, so you'd probably be looking for someone based in Fort William who is either an MIC or a BMG (the applicable qualifications). A number of folk who post in this forum would fit the bill. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...