La Sportiva Katana (women's though possibly men's) - stretch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thompsongirl 26 Mar 2015
Just wondering how much they stretch, for anyone that's tried them. Leather so they should theoretically stretch but according to various sources the lining is actually designed to resist stretch.

What say you, kind climbers?
 humptydumpty 26 Mar 2015
In reply to thompsongirl:

Yeah they stretch a little bit.
 najki_2000 26 Mar 2015
They stretch a bit. I normally go down 1.5 size in both Katanas & Miuras (both ladies versions).
valjean 27 Mar 2015

i take 42 in LS boots
my 40 katanas went from i want to take them off immediately at the top of a single pitch to all day multipitching comfort

the leather at the top has permanent bumps that accommodate my toes slight curl
Removed User 27 Mar 2015

They stretch a lot. It also depends on how hard you climb, but I'd go down at least 1.5 size. My street shoe size is 41.5-42, my Katanas are 38.5. I tried 39 as well, but they stretched too much so I eventually went back to 38.5. I can't wear them for more than a minute when brand new, but they become rather comfortable after, say, 20 sessions. Hope this helps.
 Durbs 27 Mar 2015

IMHO they stretch just where you want them to... So the rand doesn't get any longer, but where at first they might feel they're pinching your feet and your toe-knuckles feel crushed, they stretch just enough so your knuckles feel secure but not tight, and your foot feels hugged but not loose.

I drop 2 sizes - they go from "need to release the velcro and get the heel out" between boulder problems to "can wear them on-and-off for a 2-hour session" without pain.

I only stopped buying them as they tend to go through on the toe quite quickly and aren't that cheap to replace. Most of mine got resoled at least once.
 Gavin 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

I am similar. A 41 in normal shoes and a 38 in Katanas. They are only just bearable when new, but do mould to your feet with stretch across the tops over time. I am on my third pair, so the breaking in process can't have been that bad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...