Walking conditions in the Ben Nevis range ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Horak 24 Mar 2015
Hello everyone,

I am planning to come to Scotland to do some hiking in the Ben area. I was thinking of the April 18th to 24th period and I'm looking for some info on the conditions. Are the summits (Ben Nevis) accessible by foot ? Are snowshoes necessary or optional ?

Thanks a lo for your time and attention.

Tom (France)
 AlH 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Horak:

If you are thinking of walking to the summit of local mountains at that time of year you may well need an axe and crampons rather than snowshoes. It is not the depth of snow to be concerned about it is steep icey patches that can cause a slip with serious consequences. Only today another rescue has taken place of a walker who was not prepared for the local conditions. Please make sure you can navigate using a map and compass (routes are not signposted) and be prepared to bring an axe and crampons and know how to use them. Scottish conditions vary very rapidly with sudden thaws reducing snow cover and snow possible at any time of year. At present the tops are in full winter condition.
 IPPurewater 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Horak:

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2009/10/15/new-nevis-cairns-plot-safe-cour...

See this link for a summit map and bearings to use if you get caught out in poor visibility.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...