Tent Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Pelly 23 Mar 2015
Looking to buy a new tent for me and my two kids (aged 7 and 9). Intention is something that we can use as a base camp for hiking in the UK (i.e. expecting wind/rain but will not be camping in winter) as well as light enough to consider doing some wild camping with them. Something that will last for them when the older would be a bonus too. I'm considering the Wild Country/Tera Nova Trisar 3, which is probably about as much as I'd like to spend.

Interested to know peeps experiences with this tent and/or any other suggestions.
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Would recommend two entrances/exits & preferably two porches. Trying to cook, store kit & have kids coming in/out thru one small porch is a nightmare/accident waiting to happen. One extended porch with a door in each side works well too, but I preferred completely separate doors. Not terribly fashionable but Vango make some very useable tents of reasonable quality at reasonable prices. Have fun. Nik
 Mostin3 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Pelly:

My mate has just bought a wild country trisar 3 and used it for the first time in the peaks a few weekends back. It's tiny for a 2 man, let alone a 3 so I don't think it would fulfill your needs space wise unfortunately. It was only slightly larger than my 1 man MH mountain wing.
mick taylor 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Pelly:
I think its (virtually) impossible to find a good base camp type tent that doubles up for wild camping. For valley camping, having room for table/chairs/cooking and being able to stand up is pretty important.

We used to use a big Homestead 10 by Terra Nova, but the poles snapped (long story, our fault as much as the winds) and nipped out and bought a cheap and cheerful 4 man vango. Pretty flimsy (in strong winds), but does the job - £75 in a sale. Has a stand up area good enough for table/chairs for 4. And a sewn in groundsheet that keeps out the breeze.

So, I'd hang on for wild camping, and get a cheap and cheerful standy-up job. To get an idea, check out the Vango Beta: £110 from Outdoor gear (cant really stand up in this mind)
Post edited at 09:28
 Mal Grey 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Maybe look at the VauDe range?

The Trisar 2 is adequate but not roomy for 2, so I'd expect the 3 to be adequate but not roomy for 3.

I agree with the comments on having 2 entrances if possible.

Vango have some great designs, I have a Halo 2 which I really like (the 3 would suit you) but they are heavier, and to be honest I don't think the quality is quite as good as WC. Its starting to show signs of wear now, after 3 years, but to be fair it does get used maybe 30 times a year, mostly just for a night at a time so put up and down lots.

mick taylor 24 Mar 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...