HMRC -advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Ridgers 21 Mar 2015
I was self-employed from July 2010 to November 2012. I stopped self-employment in November 2012 as I was working for a different company under PAYE. I notified HMRC that I was no longer self employed and filled out a tax return for the remainder of the year.

I have just received a "late tax return notice of penalty assessment" for tax year ending 5 April 2014. I have been fined £100 for not completing a tax return for a tax year that I paid ALL my tax through PAYE.

As far as I can tell I didn't have to submit a tax return for that tax year so why am I being fined!?!? I have just filled out the appeal form and assume HMRC will withdraw the penalty???

has this happened to anyone else? any advice?
 Nexonen 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Chris Ridgers:

I stopped being self employed about 7 years ago and still get asked to submit tax returns despite having nothing to pay since then and telling them etc. The bottom line is if you got sent a notice to complete a tax return then you *had* to submit it, even if you had nothing to pay.

If you didn't get the notice for some reason then maybe they will be forgiving?
OP Chris Ridgers 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Nexonen: Thanks for the reply. So even though I am in full time employment I still have to complete a tax return each year???

I am not able to send a tax return through my online account anymore and I'm going to keep getting fined £10 a day until THEY allow me to send them a tax return!!!

mlt 21 Mar 2015
I had the same problem this week. I had to pay the fine. My mistake really, considering I was still in self-employment until January 2014. Basically you have three months from the filing deadline to get your tax return in, otherwise they'll start fining you the £10.00 per day. However, I think they cap those charges for people with non payable tax/lower income earners at another £100.00... but I could be imagining that (that at least applies for corporation tax for limited companies). So, as long as you've paid your first £100.00 fine, you'll have no problems provided you file your tax return by April 30th (which is three months from the online filing deadline).

HMRC also did not send me a notice to file a tax return... I told them this and I was told that 'they don't always send out notices if you use the online filing function'. Seems a little like bullshit... but whatever. No choice but to play the game occasionally!
Post edited at 15:45
OP Chris Ridgers 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Chris Ridgers: Ok, not as bigger problem as I thought! just got of the phone to them and they have confirmed that I did not need to submit a tax return and they have cancelled the penalty's.

mlt 21 Mar 2015

Good to hear! Lucky you

HMRC can be pretty helpful. It's like a benevolent grandmother in comparison to the US IRS which is like a domineering and cruel father wanting to swallow you up and spit you in the bin.
 Scarab9 21 Mar 2015

just give them a ring and they'll sort it easily. I had a much weirder problem that effectively boiled down to the same thing - I didn't need to do an assessment. They cleared the previous couple of years and just asked me to write out one (which they gave me all details for) for a pre 2010 one because it was on a different system and was just in case. Guy was incredibly helpful and a potential nightmare turned out to be a 15 min call.

getting through on the phone....that's the tricky bit.
 Rick Graham 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

> getting through on the phone....that's the tricky bit.

Yeah, get a good book to read or interesting website and try not to fall asleep whilst the numbing music and spiel drone on. Pick your time and use the 0300 number, its a lot cheaper than the old one.

I have been self employed since 1978 with no problems apart from two tax investigations just after sacking two accountants, or is that just a coincidence?
And the other year when they mixed up my details with somebody the same name and DOB, who had emigrated, insisted they owed me £5000+ and I did not need to file a return. What a faff sorting that out on the phone when the computer shows the IR the wrong data.
I reckon they are so overloaded with work, mistakes are far more common, especially with a bit of fat finger.
If you send a letter, use recorded delivery, all my second class post letters seem to have gone mysteriously astray.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...