Down sleeping bag cleaning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kate wels 20 Mar 2015
Can anyone recommend a reputable place to send my sleeping bag for a much needed clean? I live in Bolton. Many thanks
In reply to kate wels:

Mountaineering Designs (google it), in Cumbria provide a good service (mail order), I've had 3 bags cleaned with them over the last 5 years or so.
 wheelo 20 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:
Another vote for mountaineering designs, great service, just had two done myself
Rigid Raider 20 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:
I'm really doubtful about the value of dry-cleaning a nylon sleeping bag; had it done once and it didn't really make much difference. So many years later I reckoned my old Point Five Zero down bag owed me nothing and I decided to wash it. Getting it wet was the first challenge but I left it soaking in the special shampoo then took it out and laid it on a drying rack over the bath. Nothing happened and for a day it just stayed a heavy lump of soggy down, which was beginning to grow bacteria and smell so in desperation I put it in the spinner... it came out perfect and after an hour hung up in the hot sun it was like a brand new bag. Dug it out recently after years stuffed in its bag in the attic and was amazed to find it fluffing up and looking fine. It cost my parents £70 in 1974 as an 18th birthday present; they complained at the time but it has repaid that many many times over since.
Post edited at 09:01
 ranger*goy 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I've washed my down jacket a few times. Bung it in the washer, a couple of good spins and a tumble dry on cool. Then I hang it in the airing cupboard for a few days to finish off. Probably the same for a sleeping bag I think.
m0unt41n 20 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:

I've used Franklins OK. expensive but then these were PHD and Western Mountaineering Bags so its relative.

Have washed cheaper ones and only issue is potential damage to the internal baffles by the tumbling when the down is wet and heavy. So hand wash with proper down cleaner or pure liquid soap in a bath should avoid damage. After multiple rinses try to get as much water out as possible but without wringing it, then go to a Laundrette and use their biggest tumble dryer on low (arrange a bank loan since you will be there for a long time)
 More-On 20 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:

Do it yourself. I've washed my bags and jackets many times without an issue. Cheaper too.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/cleaning-down-sleeping-bags-and-clothing

for guidance.

OP kate wels 20 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:

Thanks for all your replies. Really helpful.
driliter 21 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:

Another vote for mountaineering designs. They washed my 15 year old lightline a few months ago, pretty much as good as new! Thought I'd have to replace it but they did some extra treatments to the down to rejuvenate it, best it's been in years.
 alasdair19 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:

franklins are very good also for far less sent my older bag to a standard laundrette they did an excellent job as there big machines are far better and crucially bigger than anything you have at home
 tom84 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kate wels:

by the time you've washed it and dried it, start to finish, you'd have wished you'd sent it off for the professionals to do it. its a pain in the arse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...