How fast do you ski?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav M 17 Mar 2015

Ski tracking apps make it easy and great fun to geek out on stats.

I'm just back from a long weekend in which I clocked 58 mph on an immaculate motorway piste.

This felt just about as fast as I am comfortable going, but in the scheme of things this is pretty slow. The world record back in 1930 was 65.7 mph. Current record is 156.2 mph.

Anyone got any really outrageous speeds to report?

mcanuda 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

Only similar speeds to you in similar groomed conditions. I did get a glitch reading of 127mph but I can't claim that
 d_b 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

I believe you can get an app that lets you track how much descent you do by monitoring use of your lift pass. Tens of KM per day are possible, depending on the resort.

What's the point in going fast if you can't do it for 10 hours non stop?
 Dark-Cloud 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

As fast as I need to, I have never really got this obsession with speed on skis, I concentrate on skiing as well as I can for the terrain I am on, if that involves speed then so be it.
 rallymania 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

a few years ago my little garmin etrex was refered to as

the device... of doom

when i took it on a snow trip, everyone who borrowed it for a speed run crashed.

one guy on skis recorded 78mph for about 1/4mile, he's a total beast on skis though... the snow boarders were slower (i think i managed about 25mph, but i'm a woos on a board)
 Trangia 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

I once did the Women's Downhill course at Kitzbuhl in 4 mins 50 secs. (timed on my watch)

The championship women do it in 2 mins but I suppose my time wasn't too bad for an untrained punter.
Rigid Raider 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

My son crashed (not speeding) in the 3 Valleys and spent 5 nights in the clinic in Moutiers, which was full of young skiers with multiple fractures who had been using their Go Pros and Garmins to record themselves skiing. Go figure, as they say.
 summo 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> As fast as I need to, I have never really got this obsession with speed on skis, I concentrate on skiing as well as I can for the terrain I am on, if that involves speed then so be it.

I would agree, there was a time when I was more quantity than quality, since then I've gone right back to basics and am moving back up again, so I can at least hope to ski like a native one day! I tried the tracking app and after a day on blue to black, with good technique and not simply head down it said my sustained speed average as about 30-35mph.
Post edited at 08:47
 galpinos 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Gav M)
>
> I once did the Women's Downhill course at Kitzbuhl

Thye left the cousre up? Wow, they wouldn't do that now a days.
 galpinos 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

No idea. I now have big floppy skis so probably not very fast. Having watched Downhill and Super G live, not as fast as the good guys!
 summo 18 Mar 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> Thye left the cousre up? Wow, they wouldn't do that now a days.

Certainly the world cup course at Kvitfjell they put the fences up 2 weeks in advance, and just leave gaps where other runs cut through, them. You are free to ski them until the teams arrive to start training, usually the Monday before the event, after the previous world cups race and a day extra for travelling. The same as they slowly take them down. In other places such as Hafjell they mark the old Olympic courses with signs so you can still ski the same lines and at Åre they have a progressive wind up and down of the world cup runs too. But, Scandinavian skiing is a little different in mentality to the Alps.
 ChrisRGX 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

The Ski Tracks app is great for geeking out on stats. According to the app, my best day this year at Val Thorens was 57mph and 33.6 miles skied. The distance recorded seemed reasonably consistent between the members of our group however the top speed can sometimes spike (one of the guys recorded 85mph during a 'normal' days skiing!!). Last year, a couple of the team recorded speeds in the 75mph region but they we really going for it on wide, empty fresh pistes.

Chris
 John2 18 Mar 2015
In reply to ChrisRGX:

There have been a few really serious accidents in recent years caused by incompetent skiers attempting to reach 100 kph on their GPS devices. Racing speeds are for specially prepared tracks with no other skiers on them.
Removed User 18 Mar 2015
In reply to John2:

Top speed on an app 658 mph, i think there was an issue with the app.

my genuine best 78 kph.

One of my students clocked 117 kph which was scary.

I agree that they are definitely dangerous. Off to Austria with 72 students next week and will give them, a stern talking to on the dangers of using these apps, not that it will make any difference!!!
 John2 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Tell them about the person I knew who fell skiing on piste in bad light when he hit a lump of ice. He broke both arms and one leg.
Removed User 18 Mar 2015
In reply to John2:

I will tell them but i fear they are at that age when the firmly belive they are invincible.

I remeber that feeling myself!!
 petellis 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

I clocked 105 kph earlier in the year (nice to know I can match the record in the 1930s!). Last year I kept up wtih a guy that clocked 120 but iI wasn't tracking that. It didn't feel remarkably different to the more average 80ish I was doing more regularly. Main problem is finding enough room with no people in it.

I don't think it needs to be described as an obsession with speed. Why are things considered "irrespnsible" by those that can't or don't want to also decribed in tabloid style as "obsessive"? But the whole point of skiing is to experience the thill of an out of this world experience. For me going fast is part of the fun, as is being able to ski in control over hard terrain etc.
 LastBoyScout 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

A few years ago, in Courcheval, a mate took his GPS out for the day with an interest in how much distance we were riding on our snowboards.

Back in the chalet that evening, he was reeling off the stats and suddenly started laughing - his max speed was apparently 80kph, or 50mph.

I'd say I ride a bit faster than him

No idea if I've matched/beaten that on skis - never used a GPS on them. Might try Strava next time I go.
 summo 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

Even on here you can clearly see the obsession in some with speed over skill or control. Although there are plenty out there who think speed is skill. That's what I love about Scandinavian skiing, the I've only got a week here, let's go mental... or the get pi$$ed until 3am then hit slopes at noon hung over doesn't really happen at all. Although you do get the odd stupid Dane tourist, who thinks he can ski, but can't.
 Carolyn 18 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:

> Although there are plenty out there who think speed is skill.
I blame ESF.....

Anyhow, I'm not going to try and compete, what with having lightweight touring skis that are much better at turning than travelling at high speed. And being a scaredy cat, too. 80 kph/50 mph seems quite easily achieved by good recreational skiers in decent(& quiet) conditions, but I doubt I hit that often - I'm usually a bit behind those who manage it most days!
 Dark-Cloud 18 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:
> Although there are plenty out there who think speed is skill

Agreed, every time i am in resort i see some fool blazing down a red or black with a horrible stance, sliding round turns on flat skis, they are the type of people who cause accidents...........
Post edited at 13:23
 summo 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I friend of mine had her arm broken by one such fool on the 2nd day of a 2 week holiday this year by one such fool. Slammed straight into her.
 Chris Harris 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

90.85 km/h here:

youtube.com/watch?v=jZTOQESAsXI&

People are right about rogue readings from mobile devices. One of my mates was clocked at 170mph while sat on the bog in a lift station.
 John2 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

I'm not so much worried about them as the innocent skiers that they hit when out of control. A skier who causes an accident is legally liable, just as a car driver is.
 David Rose 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

My friend Richard was hit by such a fool travelling way too fast and out of control on a busy piste at half term this year in the Grand Massif. He sustained a complete separation of his shoulder ligaments which has required a major operation. These people are a menace. Good skiing is about adjusting speed to the conditions, and that includes the numbers on a run. In my view, pistes should be much more aggressively policed, and those who ski recklessly should be stripped of their passes.
 Chris the Tall 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

Fully agree with all the people warning about the dangers - to yourself and more importantly others - of fast skiing.

But, on a smooth wide piste when there is no one else around, it is bloody good fun !!!

I use SkiTracks on my phone to track where I've been, how far and how much descent (always nice to exceed 8848m), but you can't help but notice the max speed.

Last week I clocked 125kph, which led to much questioning of my phone's accuracy (as well as my sanity). Having loaded the GPX file into Garmin Base camp, it does seem about right - 320 metres in 10 seconds equates to an average of 115kph, or 71mph. The run I was doing was above Claviere and has been used for the Europa cup, it's a perfect S shape and it's great to do it with essential turns only.
 summo 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> But, on a smooth wide piste when there is no one else around, it is bloody good fun !!!

Whole heartedly agree. But, many who push it out down these slopes do so when there are still one or two people there and it's very different comparing the person who perhaps does fast long sweeping carving turns where they are in full control on their edges etc.. to the person who straight lines it and relies on the slope simply running out to slow down. These people are incapable of taking avoiding action if another skier does a bit of a crazy ivan, or scrumbing off some speed if conditions change beneath the ski.

Yes, ski patrols should be more hard line as other people lives are potentially at stake. Ski pass removal or resort bans are the solution, but near impossible to enforce.
Post edited at 16:48
In reply to summo:

Having been taken off the hill twice, once into intensive care, I ski fairly circumspectly. But, if the piste is good and clear, and visibility is good, I'll go as fast as I feel comfortable with (i.e. feeling I am skiing within my limits, with long, carving turns). I don't go looking to beat any speed, I just do what feels fun. I think the fastest I've gone is about 110kph.

Speed isn't my thing; skiing well is. Sometimes, skiing well means speed. When there are lots of people about, and poor conditions, skiing well means being safe, maintaining good distances, and skiing with controlled style.
 David Rose 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

The control point is crucial. Of course it is fantastic to carve fast on the edges, there is nothing more exhilarating except maybe powder, but if you're doing that, you're actually controlling your skis extremely well. I saw far too people doing what others have described three weeks ago: basically pointing the skis downhill in a terrible stance and hoping for the best. They should be made to watch videos of how crap they look.
 summo 19 Mar 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

you are exception not the norm though.

In reply to summo:

I'm not sure I am. Maybe there's been a small increase in people trying for speed records, as in the 'Strava effect' in cycling, but I don't think I've seen that much of an increase in the number of knobbers having a complete disregard for those around them.
In reply to captain paranoia:

Oh yes, and sometimes, skiing well means staying indoors... We had whiteout conditions this year, so bad that we got separated within 50m of the lift, and couldn't see the piste, the markers, off-piste, or which way was up. I ended up headfirst into a huge mound of snow at the side of the piste (going very slowly), and decided to 'get the hell off the mountain and go home'. I ended up in the wrong resort (La Rosiere vs Les Eucherts). Twice. And then took a low-level route home.
 Frank4short 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

According to Strava 122.7kmph on an empty piste that had just been groomed. I imagine if i'd kept my tuck for maybe another 5-10 seconds I could probably have got to maybe 130 kmph.
 PGD 19 Mar 2015
Skiing with a group of teenagers last year.
They clocked 107km/h on their ski app fresh perfect red/easy black run stuff first thing in the morning

A bit scary to watch them as they weren't the tidiest skiers and basic skis started flapping a fair bit at those speeds.

I've skied a bit faster than that but it's starting to get scary.

Mark Haward 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

Was skiing on Mt Ruapehu in New Zealand some years ago and it erupted. Went very fast indeed to beat mud flows, falling rocks etc. Sadly no apps back then.
moffatross 19 Mar 2015
Wow. It sounds like UKC could out ski the FIS.
 Erik B 20 Mar 2015
In reply to : honestly, what is this Brit obsession with safety? its easy to spot the brits in France now, all helmeted up to the eyeballs, even the punters. Things is these same fuds are a menace on the piste with spontaneous bizzare behaviour of sudden right angled turns in front of you.

new labour have a lot to answer for!

In reply to Erik B:

IME, it tends to be French locals doing stupid things... And the use of helmets seems pretty international.
 Erik B 20 Mar 2015
In reply to captain paranoia: just a bit of banter

Simonsays 28 Mar 2015
Have clocked 116kms or 72mph on skitracks in Tignes with conditions not completely smooth. With proper skis on e.g.) factory 180+ GS boards or longer and 1st thing in the morning I think 80 would certainly be doable providing a decent run out was available. If I could figure out how to add images I would throw a screen capture in.
 French Erick 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Gav M:

clocked 117km/h once as a kid on speedskiing tryout in Vars...and positively shat myself! Given the right conditions, kit and head I'd have thought it'd easy enough to go very fast. On the piste, with other people you'd be taking some risks, and that's up to you.
Again as a teen I have nearly cut in half kids (one I had to pick up as he was unavoidable) and gave him, the instructor and myself a real fright... you can always try to talk teenagers out of doing stupid things but it's like pissing in the wind.

To other posters, I wished I'd had the helmets that are now available...lighter and not sweaty. It'd have saved me 2 concussions!

As one poster already said, better ski well then ski fast...the only exception being trying to get out of an avalanche path!

And finally, if you're ageek and enjoy this things, please continue pleasing yourself!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...