recommendations for photo prints company

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 17 Mar 2015
Greetings! I have been disappointed with my last few batches of 7x5" prints from Photobox (bleeding in areas of high contrast, blurred detail, poor colour reproduction, especially blues), and am now looking around for another company that provide a quality prints service at hopefully a reasonable cost. Something has changed at Photobox - they must have sped up their printing process or changed machines or something. They used to be so good. Anyone else had issues? Any recommendations for 7x5 prints?

Thanks for any help, Jamie
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I use Photobox quite extensively and I think their consistency has probably deteriorated a little over the years. I had one batch of prints arrive on some very poor quality paper, and the occasional problem with colour reproduction. In addition their delivery times seem to have become a little erratic, so I'd be interested to see what people recommend.

I've recently backed up all my photos to flickr so it would be a bonus to find a service which has a really slick interface to flickr.
 dek 17 Mar 2015

I was never impressed by the photobox quality, they were just 'quick'.
I can though, recommend the Edinburgh lab, A+M imaging for prints of all sizes.Ive used them mainly for the size you mentioned thouigh, and they are excellent.

http://www.amimage.co.uk/
OP Jamie Hageman 17 Mar 2015
In reply to dek:

Thanks Dek, just had a look and it works out at 25p per 7x5 print (providing you order 100 or more). Twice the price of Photobox, but if the quality is better, I won't complain!

Do they ever have any special offers/discounts?

Cheers, Jamie
 dek 17 Mar 2015

Not sure about specials Jamie. Suggest you phone them up, and explain you are an artist who needs colour accuracy....give them a handful to print up, and see how they do. Its a small enough lab to give good customer care

Whitewall.com seem to have regular special offers. I'm on the mailing list, but ive not tried them out yet.

https://uk.whitewall.com/?utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=ww-uk-ostern-2...
In reply to dek:

Thanks for the suggestions
 JDC 17 Mar 2015

Always had good results from Peak Imaging in Sheffield - know their stuff and high quality prints.
 ChrisBrooke 17 Mar 2015
In reply to dek:
I use whitewall for large format prints and framing. I've always been blown away by them - they come back looking great. Worth doing a test run of course, before realising that your monitor is a bit brighter/darker than it should be etc.
Don't know if I'd use them for getting lots of 7x5s done though. They're more of a 'special' thing.
Post edited at 15:30
 ChrisJD 17 Mar 2015

Heard good things about http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/ from craigh on UKC
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks Chris, and 18 pence per print is getting better. I shall give them a try

Cheers, Jamie
 ChrisJD 18 Mar 2015

Let us all know how they turn out - I'm sure lots of people interested.
 Hannes 18 Mar 2015

Peak imaging are great and if you don't sit with a colour calibrated monitor you can get an actual person to look at the colours for you which may be of help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...