gps recording rides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tried map my ride and phone battery did not even last 3 hours. I know to switch everything unnecessary off. but feel I am missing something.....view ranger lasts for day out walking in the hills. Reason I picked map my ride was that it syncs with my fitness pal. Open to suggestions for fix or other programs. Cheers
 LastBoyScout 16 Mar 2015
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:

I can get a decent amount of time out of my phone if I put it in flight mode and leave the GPS on.

There are some apps that drain the battery - Facebook being one of them. Google and delete the culprits?
 clare_bear 16 Mar 2015

I use cyclemeter... seems to not drain too much. Like the above post - make sure everything else is shut down, not sure whether apps that use your location whilst the app is closed will drain your battery as well so might be worth checking in your location services.

Monk 16 Mar 2015

Do you have an iPhone by any chance? I know people have more battery issues with these than other brands. I use Strava on an Android phone and 3 hours doesn't use more than a quarter of the battery. I have set it Strava to low battery use though by not having live mapping on. On a different slant I have found strava to be much better than map my ride for most features.
 Indy 16 Mar 2015

>Open to suggestions for fix or other programs.

An Edge 200 is around £75. Go on you know you want to!
 adamb 16 Mar 2015

you can pick up a Garmin forerunner 305 watch 2nd hand for about £70 now and use Strava and you wont look back

Android possibles:

OruxMaps
Locus
Maverick
MyTrails
Ultra GPS Logger

WinCE option:
GPS Cycle Computer (GCC)
 wilkesley 17 Mar 2015

I gave up using my phone for gps tracking because of the battery usage. For some time I used my eTrex 20 which is very reliable, but I had to process tracks manually. Last year I bought a Garmin Edge 510, which is brilliant. Auto uploads things to Garmin and Strava and I can download tracks manually if I want to. On the rare times I need to navigate, I just use Google Maps on the phone.
 Quiddity 17 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

+1 for a Garmin. I got the Edge 500 for cheap in a sale, the battery basically lasts forever and I can save my phone battery for emergencies or looking at a map when I get really lost. It felt a bit extravagant at the time but it's probably been the best bike related purchase I've ever made. You can upload your data to Garmin connect, Strava, etc., both of which sync with myfitnesspal.
 thedatastream 17 Mar 2015

Sony Xperia Z3 compact + Strava + flight mode is good enough for 20 hours of logging.
 nniff 17 Mar 2015
In reply to thedatastream:

Strava with mobile data switched off lasts for ages on Android. It just sits there with a black screen and just the GPS logging your route.

Thanks folks, strata seems a bit better and will put to the test at weekend.
 Si_G 17 Mar 2015

A lot of it is down to polling frequency. Ending do has a low power mode, for example.

The iPhone 5s (and later) seem better for battery use on GPS than earlier ones, but some apps like Viewranger still seem to kill it.
I can track in Strava and Endomondo simultaneously, with hardly any battery drain.
 Denni 17 Mar 2015

I use Endomondo. Does all the bits and bobs I need, maps where I've been, calories, time, distance, heart rate, speed, altitude, ascent, weather etc etc.
Been out for a few long rides and battery on my iPhone never less than half charged.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...