Southern Scotland hillwalking questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 14 Mar 2015

Having compleated the Munros some time ago, im part way
into my Donald's and a few questions have cropped up already . . . . . !

On one of the OS maps I have been using ( Moffat and St marys), there are two spot heights on a Donald called Louise wood law. Does anyone know why there are two heights please .?

Also, in the last month or two I have spotted several sheepfolds in the area with what appear to be another wall going to, and butting up to, the sheepfold itself. ( some of the folds even have more than one of these "tails").
Does anyone know what these tails are for .? I haven't seen anything like it in all the years doing the other hills, and when I asked a young farmer near Moffat last week, even he didn't know !!!!!!!

Can anyone help with the above at all please ..??

Mike-W-99 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

One spot height is for the trig point and the other in brackets is for some nearby feature that's higher.
 Dave the Rave 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:
Are the extra walls to make it easier to herd the sheep into the folds?
 OwenM 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

Those walls are there to confuse hill walkers.
 Brownie 14 Mar 2015
In reply to OwenM:

Also if the spot height is in black it is from a ground survey, if it is in red(brown) contour colour it is from an air survey. This might be just on 25th maps though.

B
 Billhook 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

The 'tails' are as the other Dave suggests to make it a little easier to gather the sheep into the Bield or sheep fold as it makes it easier to corral the sheep against a length of wall than a round circle and then get them through the gap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...