Anyone using a Black Diamond Vapour?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 26 Feb 2015
How's it holding up to use?

I really like the fit/weight/look, not the price so much, but I've heard they might be a bit fragile?
 BnB 26 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

I've worn one for two seasons, including winter. I completely love it as it's the only helmet I've ever felt comfortable in (I run very warm and presumably have no neck muscles either). It is completely bashed and dented but hasn't suffered any big hits and seems to have retained it's basic integrity. It is expensive but I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, unless there's something new and more comfortable for less.
 climber34neil 26 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

It's great, light but robust. Got mine from outdoor shop Milton Keynes for £50 , if you shop around you may well find one at a good price
In reply to jezb1:

It's a single impact helmet. It's amazingly light but apart from single pitch climbing I would be fairly hesitant to use it.

I bought the Sirocco because it can take multiple hits and keep on protecting you. I've actually experienced the way it almost bounces off things (standing up/walking hard into a sharp fencepost). If you climb anywhere vaguely remote (alps, multipitch etc) I would go the Sirocco route. You'll look like a tangerine but it won't be nearly as likely to crumple when you inevitably sit on your pack and could potentially save you from multiple rockfalls.
 BnB 26 Feb 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> You'll look like a tangerine

How far from a shop are you in Snowdonia or the Lakes or Lauterbrunnen or Chamonix. Break helmet. Buy new one. Ideally one that doesn't look like an orange ice cream turd
 planetmarshall 26 Feb 2015

> It's a single impact helmet. It's amazingly light but apart from single pitch climbing I would be fairly hesitant to use it.

Both helmets conform to the EN12492 test, which includes multiple impact testing, so I'm not sure that there's any rational reason to believe that the Vapor is less robust, unless you've done your own testing.

OP jezb1 26 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Call me vain, but you'll never see me wearing a ridiculous orange scirocco...

Cheers for the feedback.
 TobyA 26 Feb 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Yeah. I've had two petzl meteors since something like 1998, and I got the second just because I knew the first was getting on for being 10 years old and it felt like I should replace it. The second is still going strong. Foam helmets seem to be rather tough to me. Not sure why a Vapour would be any less so?
 PPP 26 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

I have the same dilemma as I find Petzl Elios to be a little bit too heavy/clunky on my head (pretty much terrible with glasses, goggles and beanie!).

Thinking of either Sirocco, Vapour and Meteor (ordered by preference). Sirocco somewhat looks sexy to me as I like bright stuff.
 spragglerocks 26 Feb 2015
I've seen the sirocco shatter on impact. As the belayer seeing my partner's helmet float past me in pieces 10 pitches up a climb at 3000m wasn't great so I'm not so sure it's any better than my Vapour - which is great btw for the op.
Post edited at 22:35
In reply to planetmarshall:

Foam has a tendency to crack whereas EPP is much more elastic in nature. Squeeze a Sirroco and you'll see it give somewhat. Try that with a Vapor.

I'm not sure what level of multiple impacts are required in the test, but I would wager the Sirocco would surpass the Vapor in higher intensity multiple impacts. Foam utilised in a solid shell makes more sense to me, but as the Vapour is practically bare I am surprised to hear it described as 'robust'.
 Mike Nolan 26 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1: You don't climb hard enough to wear a Sirocco anyway.

OP jezb1 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Cheeky shit :p
 JR 27 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

this was the thread on them a while ago. worth reading.

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=600521&v=1#x7909260
Post edited at 10:49
OP jezb1 28 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks again guys, I've been trying the vapour on intermittently for months and finally bought one today.

I ruled the sirocco out, it looks ridiculous.

I also tried the Meteor and Vector amongst others, but they don't fit as well.

I think I'm going to buy another Elios for work though to try and prolong the life of my Vapour.
 ianstevens 28 Feb 2015
In reply to BnB:

> How far from a shop are you in Snowdonia or the Lakes or Lauterbrunnen or Chamonix. Break helmet. Buy new one. Ideally one that doesn't look like an orange ice cream turd

If you're halfway up a big alpine route with a broken helmet, geographical proximity is somewhat irrelevant! For big routes (and winter) I'd always rather have a helmet that I know can take a battering. Still repping an Ecrin Roc for this kind of stuff.

BD Vector all the way for anything where the shop is reasonably accessible though.

TobyA 28 Feb 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

> For big routes (and winter) I'd always rather have a helmet that I know can take a battering.

Have you ever been hit on your helmet by a biggish chunk of rock or ice? I'm pretty unconvinced that you would be in that much of state to do anything if you got hit by something big enough to split a foam helmet, and definitely not if it happened twice. It seems a bit swings and roundabouts this argument. Just like saying if you have a foam helmet you're more likely to survive a swinging fall and side impact than if you are wearing hybrid helmet.

BTW, I've taken enough of a clunk from ice on my lid from ice to make my ears ring and feel a bit funny, and not a dent in it.

ianstevens 28 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Yes to ice - and I knew about it! Ears ringing et al., and I think if I'd had the foam lid I've have bailed. I'm sure it would probably have been fine afterwards, but I doubt I'd have had any confidence in its ability to continue to do its job.

Equally I've tested the side impact of a Meteor (I think there's a pic of the fall in my gallery) to a pretty severe degree, and there's no way I'd ever wear it again. Did its job at the time, then headed for the bin.

I appreciate both sides of the argument, just presenting my opinion - it is definitely a "personal preference" thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...