A winter camp in wild Scotland,,,a somewhat abortive trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goatee 25 Feb 2015
I had great plans--hopes, but the reality was curtailed by the weather and perhaps my determination. This has to have been one of my least successful trips but why don't I feel so disappointed? the story...such as it is- here---http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2015/02/ben-alderi-came-i-didnt-seei-left.ht...

Tricadam 25 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

Good photos! And enjoyed the account. Such a shame about Culra being closed now. I'm glad I got to stay there a couple of years back.
OP goatee 25 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
They say it is closed but it is unlocked so I guess it is up to you. I went in for a look and it is a super place. I definitely hope to go back.
 Billhook 26 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

I loved the picture of your nearly buried tent!
Kirsticles 26 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

It was most definitely worth it for those photographs and the experience. Great post.
drmarten 26 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting.
 Flinticus 27 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:
Nice report (for us).

When was this exactly? I headed to Aviemore one weekend in early Feb hoping to get a few hills done: managed one and failed on another with waist deep snow. That was frustrating but I only had to travel from Glasgow (sorry)!

Your report startes with 'recently the eeather had been superb' which doesn't gel with my recall of Jan / Feb in Scotland, at least on those many abortive days where I didn't even leave Glasgow
 Only a hill 27 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

Enjoyed reading that, and I can relate to it — that's happened to me more than once! Hope your next trip is more successful.
OP goatee 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I arrived last Saturday. And don't get me wrong...I'm still glad I went
OP goatee 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Hi Alex. If I had got conditions anything like the time you were there it would have been wonderful.
 Flinticus 27 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

I see you took a train to Dublin. So where did your journey actually start! (I come from Kilkenny originally)
OP goatee 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Cork The semi tropical southwest
 Flinticus 27 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

Well, at least you're near Kerry!

For the reeks, I mean.
In reply to goatee:
Good effort & account of your trip thanks for sharing. I finally managed Ben Alder last August after years of trying either due to poor forecast or friends cancelling. Coming from Glasgow its somewhat easier to organise than your efforts. I got lucky blue sky day biked in and it was worth it such a grand place the views ,the hills and I got a look in Culra bothy even tho its closed door isn't locked. I'll be back sometime for a winter trip and like you I'll be praying to the weather gods for some high pressure.
Rigid Raider 27 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

There's somebody with a perfectly relaxed, confident attitude to spending time outdoors in the weather. Some other folk would have seen the night and following day as a life-threatening disaster and would have been straight on the phone to the MRT.
 Only a hill 27 Feb 2015
In reply to goatee:

Yes, I was very lucky on that trip Although maybe if the weather was that good every time we wouldn't appreciate it as much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...