Walking boots - recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 25 Feb 2015
Good morning

I've finally had to admit that my Meindl boots need to be retired, after many happy years together it's time to go our separate ways.

So my question now is, what next? I want something that will cope with lots of year-round walking, sturdy enough to take to the Euro-hills for trekking but can and something up to about £150.

I quite like the Scarpa Manta's or even the Scarpa Kinesis Tech.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Many thanks, Tony

*I will go to a shop and try before I buy (from the shop, not on-line) obviously - before anyone suggests this.
 Trangia 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I've got Brasher Hillmaster lls and find them comfortable and really waterproof. Perfect for general walking including non winter mountain walking.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hillmaster-ii-gtx-p181596
 lithos 25 Feb 2015

Scarpa SL much more comfy than Mantas (and i have both) as they are much less stiff but sturdy
and well made (at least they were mine are 15 years old now)

classic boot and fine for winter walking (the manta is better here because of the stiffness) with C1 cramps.
 PPP 25 Feb 2015
In reply to lithos:

I had a good bashing in a year round with Scarpa SL from long low-level walks to mountaineering. They were alright, but not so good for scrambling (got some rubber detached from the boot) and they aren't completely waterproof. Got them wet at least in one occasion and since they are quite heavy, it took few days in drying room to be bearable again.

Something that fits. Do you need a B2 boot for your trekking? If not, then Altberg do 5 widths and a full range of sizes and half sizes throughout their range. I have their Tethera model, full leather, plus short rand and is pretty darn sturdy, though is not B-rated. I briefly reviewed them at the following link, but since then I have used them considerably on varying terrain and for long, short and middle distances and would thoroughly recommend them.

https://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/new-boots-alt-berg-tethera/
snoopdawg 25 Feb 2015

Something I find an absolute pain in the backside as my left foot is slightly larger and wider than the right. I did want non goretex at first but there's not many on the market. Tried the Mantas but found them too tight and rigid, the Scarpa SL too tight also. I've settled on the Mammut mountain trail for winter use. The boot is ideal for me due its wide fitting and has a comfort feel about it that I've not experienced before in a mountain boot and Meindl Bhutans for other use. The Meindl didn't seem to fit as first but after a few wears they feel like slippers.

Great replies guys, thanks

Plenty to consider now - I think best just to go try some on and read the reviews.

Thanks again, Tony
kerny 25 Feb 2015
I had a pair of these for 3 months now..http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammut-brecon-gtx-walking-boot-p204473

I find them very sturdy and fully waterproof, some of the reviews state that the soles crack and split but I must say that I have never had a problem with mine and also I am suspicious of some of the reviews that certain people post.
Post edited at 18:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...